and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Location of ABS sensors

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by leftlane36, December 18, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. leftlane36

leftlane36 Active Member

City, State:
      maynardville tn
      Year and Model:
      2003 explorer XLT 4X4
      I was wondering if any one has Pics or diagrams on where the ABS sensors are located on the front end of an '03 4 wheel drive. I have located the rear. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. RONDO HEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. EXPLORER04

EXPLORER04 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT
      It is located in the front hub assembly, #3 on diagram

[​IMG]

4. leftlane36

leftlane36 Active Member

City, State:
      maynardville tn
      Year and Model:
      2003 explorer XLT 4X4
      Thanks '04 I have been racking what little brain this ex has left me with looking for it.

5. EXPLORER04

EXPLORER04 Active Member

City, State:
      Buffalo, NY
      Year and Model:
      04 XLT
      Just be careful if you have to remove them. Since they are considered part of the hub assembly they have locktite on them and may break.

6. leftlane36

leftlane36 Active Member

City, State:
      maynardville tn
      Year and Model:
      2003 explorer XLT 4X4
      ANy secrets on getting them out easier or is it just take time a do it slowly

7. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Active Member

City, State:
      Orlando
      Year and Model:
      2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
      I've heard several people say they had planned to re-use them when they bought new wheel bearing hub assemblies that did not include the sensor. Apparently, they are either hard to get loose or they are brittle because of the comments about them breaking when trying to remove them. However, it you are replacing the ABS sensor then maybe you don't care if you break the old ones. On that note, if you have a bad ABS sensor be prepared to pay within $40 or $50 bucks of what a complete wheel bearing hub assembly would cost including with a new ABS sensor. I was recently quoted around $128 for an ABS sensor by itself versus $170 for a brand new wheel bearing hub assembly that included a new sensor. Lastly, if you are trying to replace a "bad" ABS sensor because you think it will make the ABS idiot light turn off keep in mind that the sensor could actually be good but the wheel bearings are so worn out that the ABS sensor can not register properly.

8. leftlane36

leftlane36 Active Member

City, State:
      maynardville tn
      Year and Model:
      2003 explorer XLT 4X4
      I have just installed new bearing on the front and about 3 weeks later is when the light came on. Some one told me that maybe something got on one of them and that may be what is causing the light to come on. That is the reason I am wanting to check them. I figure if it is not to big of a deal I would try to check them and see if that is in fact the problem. If not I will see what else comes up. This thing will be the death of me. Dodge would have been but I got rid of them, best thing I ever did.

9. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Active Member

City, State:
      Orlando
      Year and Model:
      2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
      I assume it is throwing an ABS sensor code for the front left or right sensor?

10. leftlane36

leftlane36 Active Member

City, State:
      maynardville tn
      Year and Model:
      2003 explorer XLT 4X4
      Havent had the code read just funny that it started right after bearing change

11. SyberTiger

SyberTiger Active Member

City, State:
      Orlando
      Year and Model:
      2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
      Could be the rear ABS so a stop at AdvancedAuto or AutoZone to get the ABS codes will help you get closer to the problem. Let us know what codes you have when you get a chance.

12. leftlane36

leftlane36 Active Member

City, State:
      maynardville tn
      Year and Model:
      2003 explorer XLT 4X4
      OK I am gonna try to get to it tomorrow, garage is occupied with the 87 ranger right now. A man and his toys never get rest