Location of Parklamps Relay in Dash Relay Module. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location of Parklamps Relay in Dash Relay Module.

2000merc -

Power from the backup lights (fuse #27) is used to override the automatic rear view mirror. If autodim function is powered by fuse #36, then the the mirror dim control is the common point where the circuits meet. Similarly, the autolamp control switch is on the mirror (at least is on my Ex, guessing Mounty is same). Autolamp circuit ties to headlights/parklights/dashlights (regardless of position of headlight switch). As backup lights are not related to any other lighting circuit, I'd guess the problem is in the harness to the mirror. Has anything happened in recent timeframe that would have disturbed any of the components? Cleaned the inside of the windshield and may have bumped the exposed cable going to the mirror? I don't have any diagrams showing the autolamp or mirror wiring, so I can't say anything specific there, but if there are any control relays associated with these options, I'd consider them suspect until proven otherwise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was a "great idea"... you at least "identified" where your wiring "issue" was.... saves a lot of "looking"... but it might not have saved you any money... :) depending how bad the "meltdown" was. good luck... its not fun "digging" around the dash for wiring issues.

Anyone have a step by step procedure for removing the dash. If I can get this off I can repair the wire and possibly find the fault. The wire that got burnt can be spliced if you can fit in the dash plus I would want to replace as much of that wire as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok All,
I finally put the vehicle down until it got repaired. I got the dash pulled far enough to were I could gain access to the connector for the autolamp circuit(connector for all overhead console wires) which runs up the drivers windshield post. I ohm'd all pins and found that the majority were grounded out. I dropped the headliner and disconnected the entire harness. The fault was were the harness runs from the overhead console to the mirror. The harness is up against a metal plate which gets extremely HOT when the sun is beating on the roof. I guess over the years the heat ate the wire harness insulation. When the harness was pulled away and turned over there was exposed wires. Anyway I repaired all the wires that go to the mirror and placed some foam insulation between the harness and the body to prevent this in the future. Everything works as it should again. Thanks for all the Help. Only bummer is that I had to pull the dash to get to that connector!
:thumbsup:

Ok All,
I finally put the vehicle down until it got repaired. I got the dash pulled far enough to were I could gain access to the connector for the autolamp circuit(connector for all overhead console wires) which runs up the drivers windshield post. I ohm'd all pins and found that the majority were grounded out. I dropped the headliner and disconnected the entire harness. The fault was were the harness runs from the overhead console to the mirror. The harness is up against a metal plate which gets extremely HOT when the sun is beating on the roof. I guess over the years the heat ate the wire harness insulation. When the harness was pulled away and turned over there was exposed wires. Anyway I repaired all the wires that go to the mirror and placed some foam insulation between the harness and the body to prevent this in the future. Everything works as it should again. Thanks for all the Help. Only bummer is that I had to pull the dash to get to that connector!
:thumbsup:

I have a similar problem. I had a shop replace my fuel pump on my 2002 Explorer 4x4, and I had then parked it for a couple of weeks. All of a sudden the parking lights came on for no reason. The only way to turn them off was to disconnect the battery. Then they would come on by just shutting the door. Sometimes the alarm will also go off for no reason. I think my car is haunted. Any suggestions ?

Back