Lock cylinder - Can I bring it to a locksmith? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lock cylinder - Can I bring it to a locksmith?

EBInterceptor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ada, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
My key cylinders are pretty much all frozen. I was able to free up one, but not the rest. I did a little searching and noticed that I could remove it (can look up how to do it exactly later). But would a locksmith be able to rebuild the cylinder or at least get it to work again. Would it be something worth looking more into?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good 'Ole AAA...

Pretty sure that a locksmith could take care of that for ya.

Years ago I had a Ford Tempo and the ignition/entry key worked the igintion & passenger lock but not the drivers door (utterly annoying crawling across to open the drivers door).

I called AAA and told them that my entry lock cylinder was siezed. They had a locksmith out to the vehicle in 20 min who was able to rekey my driver door cylinder (same as my ignition) and all was well.

I've actually have NO door lock cylinders that work at the moment, only the keyless entry & keypad. I guess i should call AAA again. Who knows when the electrical system is gonna fail?

I bought a replacement lock once and got charged $25 to have it changed to work with my key. And that involved conpletely dis-assembling the cylinder and re-setting the cylinder. I assume it would be significantly cheaper to just have a locksmith clean and repair an existing lock. They can definitely do it, and it's worth looking into.

I do have one free lock, so I'll continue keeping that in good working order so I'm not completely locked out like I have been before. Actually I forgot about trying this, but was going to spray some liquid wrench in there and try to free it up a bit with that since it works much better than WD40 and some of these other products. I've also used graphite and other stuff to free up the passenger side, but still cannot get the driver's side freed.

Try spraying lubricant in there first....

How worn are your keys? You might need to get new ones made. The X should have come with metal tabs that have the key code on them....You could get a brand new key cut from those.

Just had a new key made in August, didn't work any better. I'll have to go out and really dedicate a solid afternoon to it sometime.

I just replaced an ignition lock in a corolla, and it SHOULD have taken about 20 mins. If the ignition is on the steering column, take off the "molding" that goes around the column. Take the key, and turn the ignition to the ACC position. Once the key is turned, there is a little button on the bottom of the cylinder housing. Push in that button with a punch or something, and pull on the key. The whole lock cylinder should come out with the key. Then just take the new one, and slide it in. The keys won't match, but at least she can drive the car. All she will have to do, is take the cylinder to a Locksmith with the OLD key, and have them change the cylinder to accept the old key. Very easy service.
user_offline.gif

For the locks cylinder,i would like to say either you go to Locksmith or you buy new set of keys for the unlocking of the cylinder.I think latter is somewhat expensive.

All you need to do is change the key to your lock, and if you are fairly good with tools, you may want to do it yourself. Or, you may want to remove the lock and bring it to a Locksmith to be rekeyed. In rekeying, only tiny parts within the cylinder are changed; the rest of the lock stays the same.

I hope you have find the solution of your problem with the locked cylinder.As stated above by gentlemen Locksmith is the appropriate solution of any type of door locking,cylinder locking,re-keying etc.Don't think too much,go to locksmith.

I would like to say something about your issue of locks cylinder that you may try dealer rather than Locksmith as they are also experienced persons.Choice is yours.

Back