Long-Travel Suspension | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Long-Travel Suspension

If you're going to go with a 3 link in the rear I would think it's actually easier fabrication wise to go for a coilover setup. Instead of making upper and lower buckets for a normal coil and shock mounting tabs all that's needed is tabs and a location for the coil over. I would think that the cost for labor to fab all the mounts for a standard setup plus parts would be close to the cost of the coilovers and little fab needed to mount them. Plus with a coilover you can use a dual rate spring setup with a collar and two coils to get an awesome ride over small and big stuff!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm really kind of undecided on the rear; i'll likely get leaves to match the lift up front until i figure out a more definite plan for the rear and can afford to carry it out. I was thinking maybe cut the floor in the rear where I'm building the toolboxes and make an enclosure for the coilovers to extend up into. Probably hinge a side panel to access the coilover too.

Check out this site, or give them a call before you do anything. I was at their shop today and its amazing the stuff they have for the TTB. After looking at modifications (over 17" front wheel travel with a 4" lift), I would never go with a straight axle.

"www.bajaconcepts.com" (I don't know how to link it to this site)

Or call them at (760) 723 - 2117

I already looked at Baja Concepts. They seem to have good stuff, but the widened TTB they offer is a lot more lift than I want. I think they were mentioned earlier in the thread, too.

Heh - If you guys think me and Khris are nuts now, look at the thread called "Has anyone ever......?" under the suspensions forum.

Reponse from the other thread

I figured this was better in here.

1st off I gotta ask what's the username mean?

2nd. I went and looked at Perry McNeils Explorer last week. He had heavy duty coil buckets with f150 camper special coils and dual fox resevoirs up front. The rear was a 3 link with custom coil buckets and the same coils in the rear. He said he's got close to 40,000 miles of prerunning on the Explorer with no major failures except for when he rolled it and they had to cut the top off and mold on a new top off another Explorer. You'd die if you saw this ride. It's fully caged with racing bucket seats up front and a 36" racing bucket in the rear. The dash is custom all carbon fiber with aftermarket guages. Super trick stuff. This is the yellow explorer on his web page and I've seen pics of it on here launching. www.perrysfabnfiber.com

He said the coil bucket front end that he runs would run me $2000 installed plus shocks if I wanted something more then cheesy Rnachos which will be around $500 for two 2.5" Sway-A-Way resevoir shocks. That's for 18" of usable travel in 4wd. He said that if I wanted to go with a coil over setup with 20" of travel it would be the same price but expect the shocks to be $1200-$1500 depending on coil rate and valving options. He said coil overs handle a little worse on the road and a little better offroad cause they have a progessive compression. I'm still debating if it's worth the extra $700-$1000 for it. I could use that money in the rear or for fenders or bumper etc..... He said I'd be REALLY happy with the bucket set up and that he's had 3-4 feet of air with no problems. But, then on Sat. I saw an Explorer with coilovers up front and man did it look sick!!! I think I'll probably end up with the buckets and regular coils up front cause I think it'll do what I need and save that extra money and put it into something else. I think the buckets will get me the performance I'm looking for and the coilovers may just be over kill. One cool thing is that the shocks I'm getting can be converted to coilovers. All I would need are the mounting hardwar and coils. Then I would have to cut off the bucket that perry fabs on and mount upper and lower shock mounts. So basically if I wanted to I could upgrade down the road if I decided that 3-4 feet of air wasn't enough.

As for when all this happens, I'm not sure. I put $500 deposit down so the guy would buy the gears and have them for the install end of this week. I still owe him another $500 when it's done. That'll leave me with about $3000 in the bank. Here's where it get's complicated. I'm currently working for a temp service at a company doing something I like for good pay and they want to hire me. They can't right now though cause of budgeting reasons. I currently live in my parents guest house rent free but have to drive 95miles one way to work. (I love my Honda's 40mpg!!) I don't really want to move out of San Diego to Orange County where I work until this job is perminant. Also, my parents would kill me if they knew I spent that much on my ride and was still living rent free so here's what it boils down to. I'm not going to do it until:

I get hired perminant (which I've already worked here 6 months temp) and,
I move out and,
I want to have a magic number of $6000 in the bank before it goes in the shop to cover any unforseen problems with vehicles or moving out that I havn't thought about.

I'm kinda hoping just after the 1st of the year to do it. I'm praying to get hired by then and to still be sane from my daily commute. I should have the money saved up by then as long as nothing unforseen comes along other then Xmas, car insurance renewal, etc.....

I'll definately keep you updated on the progress and all other info I find. I'm still going to go check out Baja Concepts to see what they offer first hand as well as a 3-4 other shops in the SoCal area before I fork out the cash.

My username doesn't mean anything, really. A friend and I started our own mock religion as a little joke; we called it "bislam".

You'll probably get your suspension set before I do though; I've still got to finish school, I'm saving now. What do you think of the Baja Concepts 4" kit? Do you know if their widened TTB kit could be setup for less lift? I think I've really set myself on 4" of lift, fiberglass conversion from Perry's, and 35's. You think 37's would fit under 'glass and 6" lift? I don't think I really want to pay that much for my tires though. I'm still going back and forth as to where I'll get my front end setup, thinking about cost and other factors. I think I'm going to go with coilovers though.

I know what you're saying. I swear I adjust my budget daily depending on what my plans for the ex are at that time. I've got a thread going on www.race-dezert.com in the dezert people section under shop titled "Perry McNeil and have got quite a few responses about his work. Some good some bad. I'm not sure about BajaConcepts, you should give them a call. I need to find out if they're open on weekends so I can go up and check the place out. I'll find out all the info I can about their front end while I'm there. I don't think I'm going to go with the full front glass kit. I'm thinking right now if I just went with fenders that would be about $400 painted and everything where the Glass kit is $600 and Perry said you have another $200 in lights and misc. stuff still plus say another $200 to paint it all to match. That's a $1000 just for looks. Me personally I'll save that $600 extra for the whole front end and put it towards the rear. Now if I just go with the coil bucket kit that saves another $700-$1000 according to Perry. Minimum I've just saved $1300 that I could put to the rear end. Too bad you can't get out here to see Perry's kit in person. I talked with him for 2 hours. He said that honestly he makes more money off his coil over kit cause he makes money of the parts too on that one but doesn't think the added performance is worth the added cost. If you want to check out that thread on the other page and can't find it off my lame description above let me know.

I checked out that thread, went ahead and registered there, same BislamJoe name. I think I might ask around several places and call Baja Concepts to see if I can get the widened unit with only 4 inches of lift. I'm seriously leaning toward coilovers now too. Since I'm waiting for the fundage anyway, I'm going to go all the way once I can afford it and get just about as trick as possible with it.

BislamJoe-
I'm putting the rear fiberglass on my X next week and eventually want to put 37s on it. It can be done, you'll just have to cut and I know you're not afraid of that. Either am I so it will be done. I'm sure you can get the extended beams and only put 4" coils in it. It all depends if it will be alignable (is that a word?) according to the angle they bent the beams.

Kris-
Did you get the gears yet? Good luck with the Perry front end. That's going to look good. It wil be a while before I can afford extended beams for mine.

I'm having a guy do the gears as a side job and he's hoping to do them tomorrow night. I'm supposed to hear from him today. I've decided against doing the full front glass kit. I'm just going to do the fenders like you have. Later on I'll probably do the rear kit also. I'll be really anxious to see what your's looks like with the old style front end with fenders and the rear glass!! I can't wait for the suspension. There's a possability that I'll have it for the TruckHaven run!!!!

Ya, I like the look of the older body style better. I have the rear glass already, just waiting until next week because they're getting the rear part filled for the old style tailights. That would be nice to have the suspension done by Truck Haven. Good luck.

Who's filling in the tail light area? What's it costing you? I'm sure it's cheaper then buying a new light assembly and everything needed for it.

Tim at Glassworks Unlimited in Huntington Beach is filling them for me. Not sure how much yet, but it will be pretty cheap. I've bought tons of glass from him, so it will be a good price. Yes it is a lot cheaper than buying the new lights. Also easier, with the new lights, you would have to cut the body to curve with them so they fit.

Doesn't Paul M. have the front and rear fenders now? You know, I didn't think about having the rear fenders modified to accomodate early-style taillights... Now that I know that, I may not go to the new bodystyle.

Bislam, thats Paul B. The M is my middle name and yes I do have both the front & rear glass. Colin is Winter doing your glass also? Colin could possibly post a picture of my trucks glass work if you want to see it. I also have a glass hood with a scoop on it.

I know it was you, but Paul M wasn't a typo. I couldn't remember how to spell your last name ;).

Paul-
Yes Winter is doing my glass also. Hopefully he'll get it back from Tim by Monday and start on it Tuesday. Here is a couple pictures of Paul's...

View

View

BislamJoe-
Paul has a 6" lift with 35s

Paul
NICE RIDE!!!! I think I'll probably end up on 35s eventually once I get the glass all around. What does Winter charge to install the glass on the rear?

Coin,
You cheated by getting a white Explorer cause you can get by without painting it for a while. That's not fair!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you guys should check out camburg.com and go to whats new and then extreme explorer. it is sweet!!! there is also a pic of the relocation of the brake master cylinder that might intrest v8 swappers.

Back