Looking at a Sport trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a Sport trac

rcd

Reaction score
I am leaning toward an 08 Sport trac V8 to replace a 97 F150 4x4.

Does anyone have any experience with this for towing a 5k trailer, ie, a Mustang on a car trailer?

I have an 02 v6 Explorer, and I don't think the 4.0 will tow well.

I have heard the new six speed with the 4.6 is troublesome.

Experience and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drive a similar priced f150 to make a sound decision. I like the new sport tracs, but I bet you could get a nicely equipped F150 for the same price that will tow better. The new f150's drive loads better than your 97.

Well, I have done a lot of towing with my 5.0L v8 Explorer. But, I didn't keep it stock.

I added an additional tranny cooler and a temperature gauge to make sure I'm not overheating the transmission. I switched from 3.73 gears to 4.10. And I installed a trailer brake controller.

Wow, I just looked at the HP/Torque of the V8 Sport Trac. 292hp and 300lbs max torque. Very much improved over my old 5.0L v8. Definitely sounds like it has the balls to tow a trailer with a Mustang on it. Plus it has a fully boxed frame like the F-150 too.

But it is still advisable to get a tranny temperature gauge installed if it doesn't have one and a trailer brake controller and a trailer with brakes.

410702160006.JPG

PS - I miss having that trailer. I fell on hard times a few years ago and sold it.

Even the V6 is rated to tow 5000 lb. The V8 should be fine. The factory Class III hitch option includes a 7 pin connector.
A guy at www.TheRangerStation.com has a 2002 Ranger FX4 with a 4.0/stick :eek: and claims it tows his 5.0 Mustang race car and trailer just fine.
I agree with Brian though, if you're going to tow a lot, look at an F150 4 door.

I have had my '08 V8 Limited for about 3 months now.

Have towed my boat several times. The ST does a fine job. No issues. The 6 speed auto performs seamlessly. First gear is very short and works great for pulling up steep boat ramps.

Mileage non towing has been in the 18.5-19.5 mpg range, towing, 16.5-17.5 mpg.

Without a doubt, I would buy again.

No matter which you get, you should consider an auxiliary transmission cooler. This will also allow you to add a transmission filter that you can easily change and a temperature gauge. Depending on where you live, the cooler and temp gauge are somewhere between advisable and an absolute necessity.

Look for Aldive's thread on his transmission cooler that he installed as he has a great set-up.

No matter which you get, you should consider an auxiliary transmission cooler. This will also allow you to add a transmission filter that you can easily change and a temperature gauge. Depending on where you live, the cooler and temp gauge are somewhere between advisable and an absolute necessity.

Look for Aldive's thread on his transmission cooler that he installed as he has a great set-up.

If I remember, the Sport Trac's equipped with the tow package come with an Aux. Trans Cooler. At least mine does I think. I'll check it out.

Back