Looking for 4th Gen. Purchasing Tips | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for 4th Gen. Purchasing Tips

Exactly as I saw and interpreted it. Can't see that porcelain being strong enough to withstand torque needed to twist it out. where did the metal bottom go on the plug. I have broken plug tops before but the plug top for the socket is alway there.

I am just not getting it but we don't have that in the 2009 thankfully. So its not the end of the world.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry guys, I meant to use the video above just to show how the plug sits in the head. Otherwise, the whole scenario is confusing.

Watch this,

and

and there are many others.

Great the 2nd video is the one to watch. Clarifies things. It scary how that center portion is a separate piece like that. Who makes that plug I don't see other NGK's made that way.

Wow, I am seeing this as an on going Ford engine problem covering a decade of engines. You'd thing they'd have it right by now. I have and had other vehicles and no mention of plugs not coming out.
The new plugs for the 2009 I saw on NGK website look different and guessing its better on the new heads than older ones.

Thanks for all the information, folks! Really glad to see so many responses.

Read up on your RPM surge issue, PotatoExplorer, and good luck! lol. Wow. I will certainly keep a look-out for an irregularly-driving examples. Does this issue only apply to the 6R60 transmissions, and were these the only trans. mated with the 4.6L from '06-'10?

Oddly enough, I did notice a difference in badging between the '08 and earlier models and '09 and later models... the '07 I look was badged a "4x4," whereas the '09 I looked at was badged an "AWD." I figured it was nothing more than the timing of Ford's switch to alternative verbiage.

So, (1) what I am hearing is there was never a selectable 4x4 system (i.e., similar to that on a Bronco) ever installed on a 4th gen., and (2) the construction of the 4.6L in '08 and '09 was arguably better. There may be threads on this already (apologies if so), but what exactly is the change between '06-'07 heads and '08 and later heads?

Whoops, I never did respond to this! I'm actually not quite sure... I've searched this issue specifically to the Explorer (and even general Google searches of all vehicles) until my fingers fell off and I can't say definitively if it's only limited to the 6R60. Searching the forum I've even found threads of similar issues within other generation Explorers.

And if anyone with more extensive knowledge on this would like to correct me, you're more than welcome to, but I'm 99% sure that the only transmission mated with the 4th gen 4.6L Explorer is the 6R60.

Also, thanks Explorer_PL for all the videos. I never realized how tight the tips of the plugs were to the heads of the engine!!!

06-07 Explorers had 6R60
08-10 had 6R80 also used in Expeditions, F150, Navigators, and some other Ford products.

09-10 F150 actualy came with 4.6 3 valve / 6R80 as an option (same as Explorers from those years), so that combo is very desirable. If it works in a half ton truck, it's got easy life in a medium size SUV

Thanks again, all, for the incredible amount of information! Initially, I had thought I would be in the market for an '04+ F-series pickup, where I know this to be a common issue. Long story short, decided to get something less ridiculously expensive for its age, and voilà! the Explorer. Luckily, a relative has the tool needed to perform (and has performed) the job on these 4th-gens., so I am a bit fortunate there. Here's hoping one with that 4.6L/6R80 trans. is waiting out there!

Yeah, there are plenty out there. Just look for Limited build and you get that and a very lot more for your money. As my son did on his here recently.
Cheers and good luck.

I am in the market to purchase my first Explorer, and have really fallen for the 4th generation style.

I have been (ideally) looking for a 4.6L Limited, < 100,000 miles, with black leather interior and the right price. While a few of these have popped up over the last couple months, most of the low-mileage examples I have found aren't exactly from the same mold (I have heard the mid-west market is slim with black interiors, for one).

I am currently considering a 2007 (late '06 build) 4.6L Eddie Bauer Ex., with 90,000 miles, and fitted with the EB Luxury Package. The price seems right, but I'm not certain if there are typical issues to be aware of with these early 4th gens.? I have heard, being a cross-over year, the 2006 builds can be problematic, but am not certain whether an '07 in this condition would present a better buy.

Thank for any advice!
I purchased 2007 Eddie Bauer 4.6 v8 Last fall, 117000 had to replace front wheel bearings, then the transmission shudder, $3200 new converter and valve body rebuild, then had to replace radiator. now it is up for sale. his is my 5th Explorer, I like the old ones.

Skuchin, that makes me a little depressed :(... That's way too much time and money for someone to spend on a "new" car!!

Is removing plugs in the newer blocks still a problem (plug numbers are different when I looked at NGK site) in the new block of the 2009.

Son texted last night his ride started running real rough. He'd already driven to a destination but later starting again was when it started doing it.
We had a lot of rain over the days sub zero to warm temp and yesterday a heavy fog set in. Driving through a cloud. I suspect its 90% humidity and weather factors causing the problem. I figure it will be ok once the weather clears and it dries up. Maybe some dielectric grease is needed in the plug holes.

Check # 4 and # 8 plugs for water collecting there.

Sound like bothe rears location then. I haven't looked up a firing order layout or rather cylinder assignment for numbers yet, He's in the city (Bowmanville, I am outside of Belleville). I figure it would dry will look this weekend. How is the water getting there.

# 4 and # 8 are the passenger and driver side furthest under the windshield by the fire wall. The water drips from the cowl on top of them.

Oh, I see we'll have to look at that seal. It a recreational ride for him. He has a work truck for his job so its not driven too much. He has compress air maybe it can be blow out unless it pushes it in further.

Some members here came up with different solutions. Some applied silicon to the clips and grommets there. I installed a piece of aluminium trimming to act as a gutter right under the cowl to divert the water to the sides.

Some members here came up with different solutions. Some applied silicon to the clips and grommets there. I installed a piece of aluminium trimming to act as a gutter right under the cowl to divert the water to the sides.

We can certainly look at what we can silicone there Easter weekend. Not something he'd want to be dealing with whenever it rains etc. His driveway is slope so the nose is down probably not helping based on what you've said then.

If the plugs are done later. Is the 2009 an issue requiring a plug tool on standby?

Most likely not. Someone here had 100% success using a 3/8 impact gun. Not high torque but enough to shake it loose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know I'd want to go that route. I do have an electric 3/8" drive and its not very high torque. I expect they've been changed already but he seems to think he may need to do them. I said just leave it alone for now as its running and no symptoms even under hard acceleration when we were test driving it 3 times at least.

Back