• Register Today It's free!

What to look for in used Explorer

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Hey guys, just joined up here. For the past few months I've been eyeing up a used 17 Explorer Limited/Sport. I currently have a 16 Mazda CX5 GT AWD that I will keep and hand off to my wife, an we will trade her elantra GT in. I originally was sold on a 16 until I found out that MFT couldn't be upgraded to Sync 3 through Ford and with the dealer quoting $2500 to do an aftermarket switch, I figured I'd might as well just look for the 17.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research and starting to get serious about buying. Reliability seems pretty good, crash ratings as well. But I do have a couple questions.

1. Is there anything particular I should be careful of or watch out for? I saw in the forums that ford is addressing the carbon monoxide issue. Anything else or known problems.

2. How is the AWD system? My cx5 is absolutely stellar. That system is quick and hooks well. Does the explorer seem to have a good system? I know there's a bit more control withe explorer but I love the safety aspect of my cx5 where even if its raining, I know my wheels will hook.

3. How kid tested is the interior and accommodating is the seats(distance from passenger seat to back seats) with car seats? I have a new little baby girl and eventually more will be on the way so I would expect this car to last awhile and wondering how well it will hold up.

4 Real world gas mileage? What would you say? I checked fuelly and know there are a lot of variables but I always feel forum members can present the most real life averages.

5. Technology packages, BLIS is a must have for me. Anything that you guys highly recommend or suggest avoiding? I know these new systems are designed to help out but can appreciate that sometimes they can be more trouble than they're worth(costly repairs).

Glad to be apart of the forum and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. Is there anything particular I should be careful of or watch out for? I saw in the forums that ford is addressing the carbon monoxide issue. Anything else or known problems.

Only other known issue which was more on the earlier models is the PTU with its "lifetime fluid". If it is a low mileage 17, I'd just change the PTU fluid every 30k. The EPAS issue seems to be resolved which was more of an earlier issue as well. The Carbon Monoxide was more in the 11-15MY with a few people complaining on the 16-17. It's not something I would personally worry about. I would recommend getting an OASIS report on the VIN from a Ford dealer which would tell you the service history of it.

2. How is the AWD system? My cx5 is absolutely stellar. That system is quick and hooks well. Does the explorer seem to have a good system? I know there's a bit more control withe explorer but I love the safety aspect of my cx5 where even if its raining, I know my wheels will hook.

AWD system works very well. I live in NH and this is my wife's daily driver and has never had an issue. IF you really want superior traction, get a 2nd set of rims and throw snow tires on it.

3. How kid tested is the interior and accommodating is the seats(distance from passenger seat to back seats) with car seats? I have a new little baby girl and eventually more will be on the way so I would expect this car to last awhile and wondering how well it will hold up.

Well you would have leather/vinyl seats so as far as kids go (I have a 4 and 7 year old), everything wipes up easily. The black plastic can scratch (door panels, kick panels) over time. Get a set of Husky all weather mats and spills won't be a problem. Also, it will be extremely difficult to get 3 car seats across the 2nd row. Count on 2 car seats with no room for an adult in between. IF you end up having a 3rd, 1 in the back and 2 in the 2nd row. We have had no issues with 2 kids but we aren't having any more.

4 Real world gas mileage? What would you say? I checked fuelly and know there are a lot of variables but I always feel forum members can present the most real life averages.

Our Limited gets 20-21mpg overall.

5. Technology packages, BLIS is a must have for me. Anything that you guys highly recommend or suggest avoiding? I know these new systems are designed to help out but can appreciate that sometimes they can be more trouble than they're worth(costly repairs).

Can't help you with that because mine is a 2011 and there are a lot more options now. We love the backup camera and I love the crash warning. This has saved us many times. I would have a vehicle without AC seats but I am a very warm person.

Best of luck with your decision.

2... I’ve found the AWD system is pretty clever. It’s similar to the slightly newer system used in the Escape, a pretty quick acting multiclutch setup. I’ve taken it on dry pavement, wet pavement, snow covered pavement, on gravel/dirt roads, and for some like off-roading on grass and dirt surfaces since I got it. It’s pretty quick to act, and I haven’t noticed any abnormal delays or oddities in engagement. Ford’s system usually operates in two modes, a lower speed program for traction, in which it powers all four wheels, and a higher speed program (seems to kick in above 30-40mph after you let off the gas) whereby it kills the rear wheels unless slip is detected or you demand throttle beyond a certain point. Because it tends to start out powering all four wheels, I’ve not really had any slip taking off or at low speeds on slick surfaces, so I can’t comment on how it shifts power from front to rear, as I haven gotten it stuck. I have noticed both our Escape and our Explorer tend to start off with a bit of rear bias at lower speeds, and then pick up the fronts as speed increases. The Explorer seems a tad more rear biased at very slow speeds, but anything beyond that and it seems more front biased than the Escape.

3... second row space is great, particularly in the passenger side, which if you’ve got the 7 passenger version, moves back and forth a bit, giving even more space behind the seat. Third row space is...well...don’t go back there. My only durability concerns are the second row seat covers (I have cloth seats, you’re looking at vinyl, so ymmv) which don’t seem attached as well as most on the drivers side, and with the environmental controls in the rear, which are look like foot magnets. We haven’t had it long enough to break anything.

4... I’ve got the 3.5NA not the Ecoboost. I’m getting about 18-20MPG on mixed roads and more like 20-22 on my regular commute which is mostly highway. With nothing but highway miles, I’ve gotten it up to 24mpg over a whole tank.

Hey guys, just joined up here. For the past few months I've been eyeing up a used 17 Explorer Limited/Sport. I currently have a 16 Mazda CX5 GT AWD that I will keep and hand off to my wife, an we will trade her elantra GT in. I originally was sold on a 16 until I found out that MFT couldn't be upgraded to Sync 3 through Ford and with the dealer quoting $2500 to do an aftermarket switch, I figured I'd might as well just look for the 17.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of research and starting to get serious about buying. Reliability seems pretty good, crash ratings as well. But I do have a couple questions.

Glad to be apart of the forum and I look forward to learning from everyone.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What to look for; Should I buy an Explorer Sport? , Looking to buy an explorer, need some tips!
Gas mileage; 3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting? , Explorer Poor Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost
The feature I use almost daily is the Adaptive Cruise Control. The keyless entry (touchpad on the door handle) is all I use to lock/unlock the vehicle. Rain sensing wipers are a nice to have feature as are the Auto head lights. I have the Auto High Beam feature turned OFF as I did with my previous vehicle. Remote start and power liftgate are very useful features. The Sport and Platinum have the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. I believe the 2.3L Ecoboost is standard in the Limited with the normal 3.5L V6 as an option.
If you are using the Explorer for towing purposes, get one with the factory installed class III option.

Peter

1. For Me Nothing
2. Search Haldex Traction o JTEKT ITCC (Intelligent torque controlled coupling) This Explains To You Better How Is The System That Ford Uses In Explorer
4. In City (Manual Reading) 15 / 16 Mpg Instrument Cluster Always Says 1 o 2 More In Hwy 22/24 60Mph Regular Speed

My case might be truly an outlier, YMMV, but I've been extremely disappointed by the interior plastics and quality. It still looks nice, but it's been a squeak and rattle nightmare the entire time I've owned it. The "EXPLORER" plates tat the bottom of the front doors scratch with unbelievable ease, and many of the materials feel plain cheap.

It won't age well but I'm stuck with it.

My case might be truly an outlier, YMMV, but I've been extremely disappointed by the interior plastics and quality. It still looks nice, but it's been a squeak and rattle nightmare the entire time I've owned it. The "EXPLORER" plates tat the bottom of the front doors scratch with unbelievable ease, and many of the materials feel plain cheap.

It won't age well but I'm stuck with it.

That's one thing that drives me nuts but fortunately don't have. One thing I have just recently noticed is I think I have the left Apillar panel starting to vibrate because I hear the buzzing in high winds again.

As soon as I got my door groan fixed, the front passenger door panel is starting to make noise. That's one panel I've never had to touch. I've shimmed it with foam tape so we'll see today if that's the proper isolation. The rear driver's side c-pillar trim panel started making noise as well, had to shim that too. I'm also hearing some random noises I got fixed last year yet again--have to see if it's the spoiler wing on the back acting up again or it's the trim piece at the bottom of the rear passenger driver's side door causing issues yet again.

I called Ford two weeks ago and complained yet again that this car's quality sucks--along with the Hankook tires that wore too quick, and the second Motorcraft battery that bulged/collapsed in two places that the dealer said was normal.

But thankfully most haven't shared my experience. I love the idea of the car, my particular unit was just executed poorly.

Thank you all for your replies. As for the vibration, I am unfortunately use to that with my cx5. Great car but that stiffer suspension and driving in the city, just really brings out all the rattles within that car.

Question though, what package does adaptive cruise control come under? I am really confused. I found one that has the 301a and has everything I want but doesn't have adaptive cruise control and fcw system. They sent a semi front view picture of the car and I can't tell if it has a windshield mounted camera.

However I just looked at another one and it has the 303a package. Looking at the 17 brochure, the 303a includes all of 301a in addition to a more advanced 4wd system and something else.

So where does the adaptive cruise control come into play? Neither window stickers mention it. Unless the dealer of the first one is wrong and it does have it but I'm not sure. You would think it would be mentioned on the window sticker but the one I just looked at that 100% had it, it wasn't mentioned. Any ideas?

Also, 2.3 ecoboost vs 3.5? Any opinions on that. I know the ecoboost is supposed to get better gas mileage but from what I read, maybe not. Non turbo seems better for reliability due to just less complexity.

I think in MY 2017 it was an add-on option. I have a package 301A if I recall correctly and adaptive cruise was standalone beyond. Auto highbeams, rain sensing wipers, and a few other things were packaged for 301.

I think in MY 2017 it was an add-on option. I have a package 301A if I recall correctly and adaptive cruise was standalone beyond. Auto highbeams, rain sensing wipers, and a few other things were packaged for 301.

Gotcha. It's just weird how can I know if it has it going forward.

To answer your other questions:

-It should be listed as a standalone option, though if someone has the order sheets for MY2017 handy I'd love to be verified on that.
-303A didn't have a more advanced AWD system, but I believe it had a different final drive.
-I have a 2.3L EcoBoost and I'm happy with it. The 3.5L NA is a solid engine as well but in my experience the car was a bit less nimble from the extra weight and has the 'fatal flaw' water pump design that is known for catastrophic failures. I avoided the engine for that reason. The 2.3L near as I can tell does not suffer from the same defect.

Also, now I'm really confused. I looked at a '17 order guide and couldn't find a 303A package but I remember it existing...

Also confirmed that adaptive cruise was a standalone option for 300/301 packaged vehicles.

To answer your other questions:

-It should be listed as a standalone option, though if someone has the order sheets for MY2017 handy I'd love to be verified on that.
-303A didn't have a more advanced AWD system, but I believe it had a different final drive.
-I have a 2.3L EcoBoost and I'm happy with it. The 3.5L NA is a solid engine as well but in my experience the car was a bit less nimble from the extra weight and has the 'fatal flaw' water pump design that is known for catastrophic failures. I avoided the engine for that reason. The 2.3L near as I can tell does not suffer from the same defect.

Yikes I haven't heard of that. Is that a recall fix or what? If you were looking to buy, besides completely ignoring the 3.5L, how would you check into that? Thanks!

Also, now I'm really confused. I looked at a '17 order guide and couldn't find a 303A package but I remember it existing...

Also confirmed that adaptive cruise was a standalone option for 300/301 packaged vehicles.

Yeah it's definitely there. I posted the brochure here. I didn't have a chance to go through the cars settings to mess with it but it has the window mounted camera and was stated to have it.

Attachments

• Brochure.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 273

Yikes I haven't heard of that. Is that a recall fix or what? If you were looking to buy, besides completely ignoring the 3.5L, how would you check into that? Thanks!

Yeah it's definitely there. I posted the brochure here. I didn't have a chance to go through the cars settings to mess with it but it has the window mounted camera and was stated to have it.

It’s not a recall. It isn’t a defect, per se, just foolish placement of the water pump. Defect implies it wasn’t intentional. It’s buried inside the engine, instead of being external like it normally is. Both the 3.5L and the 3.5L Ecoboost on the Explorer have this configuration. Longitudinal mount versions of the same engine had an external pump, but they had more bay space. The risk is that if the pump and it’s seal fail, and you don’t catch it quickly, coolant can enter your engine oil...this kills the engine. It’s pretty rare, but it can happen. You’d want to monitor for coolant leaks, coolant in the oil, etc..., and some have suggested preventatively replacing the pump as the vehicle gets into higher mileage. It’s not a cheap replacement, because of the location. It has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, just search for it and you can learn all you want to know.

It didn’t keep me from buying a new Explorer with the engine, and it wouldn’t have kept me from buying a used one either, unless it was very high mileage.

However I just looked at another one and it has the 303a package. Looking at the 17 brochure, the 303a includes all of 301a in addition to a more advanced 4wd system and something else.

The 4WD system is the same with 303A, it’s just that this package INCLUDES 4WD. As in, you can’t get this package without it including 4WD. Otherwise, it’s the same 4WD system.

Also, somebody can correct me if I’m wrong for the 2017, but on my 2018, even though the brochure says frost recovery hookS (plural), I’ve only found one, on the passengers side.

..........So where does the adaptive cruise control come into play? Neither window stickers mention it.........
As mentioned Adaptive Cruise Control is a standalone option and also includes Forward Collision Warning.with Brake Support. You can check out the 2017 Guide in this post. It is the 2nd link. 2017 Order Guide & Prices* (*post 53 added)
I personally wouldn't be too concerned about gas mileage between the 2.3L ecoboost and the V6. The Explorer only has a 18.6 gallon tank so a difference of 2 mpg will only get you and extra 36 or so miles on the plus side. The windshield mounted camera is in the base of the interior rearview mirror and is used for the Lane Keeping feature.

Peter

It isn't shown on the Order Guide for some reason but it is shown on the Ford.com website if you build a 2017. However, none of the packages show what is included any longer. I'm guessing that is because you can't order a 2017 any more.:dunno:

Peter

Well I found a 17 Limited loaded with 301a and adaptive cruise control. $34k with 11k. Warranty 5year/60k miles. 2.3L. seems like a really good deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I found a 17 Limited loaded with 301a and adaptive cruise control. $34k with 11k. Warranty 5year/60k miles. 2.3L. seems like a really good deal.
Make sure you check out the spare tire well for any signs of moisture which could indicate a water leak, Forgot to mention that before. Also make sure to ger 2 keys.

Peter

Back