What to look for in used Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to look for in used Explorer

Well I found a 17 Limited loaded with 301a and adaptive cruise control. $34k with 11k. Warranty 5year/60k miles. 2.3L. seems like a really good deal.

Sounds like powertrain only warranty...

That's basically the twin of my car--good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should have the full factory warranty as per the Warranty Guide unless the previous owner bought the Ford ESP Warranty to extend the 3 year, 36k mile OEM one.

Peter

Should have the full factory warranty as per the Warranty Guide unless the previous owner bought the Ford ESP Warranty to extend the 3 year, 36k mile OEM one.

Peter

Is there a way to check to make sure the factory warranty is still in place? I just don't like to just take the dealers word for it because of obvious reasons.

Sounds like powertrain only warranty...

That's basically the twin of my car--good luck.

Take you like it? All those extra premium features work well and you feel are worth the cost?

2017 Order Guide if you want to see what packages include what and what are standalone.

But to answer your question, on page 9, Adaptive Cruise is option 51C and was optional on 301a, 302a and 303a on the limited.

On the Sport, it is not available on 400a and optional on 401a.

It is standard on the Platinum.

Attachments

• 2017 Explorer 4-Door Order Guide-2.pdf
    262.4 KB · Views: 80

Is there a way to check to make sure the factory warranty is still in place? I just don't like to just take the dealers word for it because of obvious reasons.

Take you like it? All those extra premium features work well and you feel are worth the cost?

Send me the VIN and I can see if any extended warranties apply.

I could take or leave adaptive cruise, it works perfectly well and but find it annoying in practice. Collision warning wasn't as useful an invention as I thought it would be. Rain sensing wipers are overrated, but work exceedingly well. Same thing with the automatic highbeams. Lane keeping works great as well.

The only feature that flat out sucks is the foot activated lift gate. I hacked the BCM to disable it because after 36,000 miles, we never got it fixed properly and I don't think it was the fault of a dealership.

Send me the VIN and I can see if any extended warranties apply.

I could take or leave adaptive cruise, it works perfectly well and but find it annoying in practice. Collision warning wasn't as useful an invention as I thought it would be. Rain sensing wipers are overrated, but work exceedingly well. Same thing with the automatic highbeams. Lane keeping works great as well.

The only feature that flat out sucks is the foot activated lift gate. I hacked the BCM to disable it because after 36,000 miles, we never got it fixed properly and I don't think it was the fault of a dealership.

Pm sent. Okay thanks for the info. The fcw just warns, doesn't actually brake correct? And will the lane keeping actually steer the car or is it just warning? Thanks again.

Collision warning will warn (adjustable) and "pre-charge" the brakes without actually applying them.

Lane keep will alert or push the car back into the lane, your choice. Can be entirely turned off if you find it annoying. The active steering can be a bit annoying as sometimes it is a bit generous as to what it considers a road marking.

The OEM factory warranty is 3 years or 36k miles. If the vehicle has less than 36k miles on it then it is still under warranty. Powertrain is 5 years/60k miles.

Peter

Thanks guys. Here is the carfax on it https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=1FM5K8FH8HGA08308

It was 1.5 year lease. Not sure why it was so short. Perhaps the owner didn't like it? Anything to be suspicious of for being such a short lease? Scheduled to drive there tomorrow to take a look. I am in Maryland but the vehicle is in northern Virginia. A little over an hour for me. So I am just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I go there. They stated they do all the maryland inspection stuff for me and it doesn't cost anything. Hopefully that is true.

Seems like the owner had the same issue with the Hankooks that a few members here have had. I've never heard of a 1.5 year lease. Perhaps the thought was to get a 2018.:dunno:

Peter

Seems like the owner had the same issue with the Hankooks that a few members here have had. I've never heard of a 1.5 year lease. Perhaps the thought was to get a 2018.:dunno:

Peter

Oh I see. Is that a one and done fix or something worse? Haven't heard of that issue yet. I appreciate you looking over it.

Oh I see. Is that a one and done fix or something worse? Haven't heard of that issue yet. I appreciate you looking over it.

It’s just tires, so one and done if they were replaced and don’t have any issues.

I’m wondering if maybe the previous owner decided to get a 2018 Expedition?

CARFAX looks good. I’d just make sure it doesn’t look like it was used as an Uber or something (and thus a lot of hours but short trips so low mileage), considering it looks like it had normal maintenance. I’d look for unusual wear on the seats and carpets, stickers saying Uber or Lyft (although I know Sheehy by reputation, I’d doubt they’d be stupid enough to leave those on), etc...

Get an OASIS on the VIN from a Ford dealer.

Get an OASIS on the VIN from a Ford dealer.

Great idea and a good point! All the transmission work Ford did on my 2012 Fusion just showed as what could be construed as routine maintenance on a Carfax. When I traded it in, my Ford dealer showed me the difference between what the Carfax showed and OASIS.

Awesome, thanks! Never heard of this OASIS report but I will definitely mention it. Unfortunately this explorer isn't at a Ford dealer, but a Toyota. Not sure if they'd be able to obtain that report or just ask them to reach out to another ford dealer.

And great tip on the Uber part. Would of never thought of something like that.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What to look for; Should I buy an Explorer Sport? , Looking to buy an explorer, need some tips!
Gas mileage; 3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting? , Explorer Poor Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost
The feature I use almost daily is the Adaptive Cruise Control. The keyless entry (touchpad on the door handle) is all I use to lock/unlock the vehicle. Rain sensing wipers are a nice to have feature as are the Auto head lights. I have the Auto High Beam feature turned OFF as I did with my previous vehicle. Remote start and power liftgate are very useful features. The Sport and Platinum have the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost. I believe the 2.3L Ecoboost is standard in the Limited with the normal 3.5L V6 as an option.
If you are using the Explorer for towing purposes, get one with the factory installed class III option.

Peter
Peterk9- Why do you have the Auto High beam turned off, To me that is an nice feature.

^ I know that question was for Peter, but I'll offer my experience as well.

It's a good system but the camera misses cars approaching on a curve/angle. Merging on the Thruway or any highway I have to be very careful that I don't accidentally blind someone coming around the bend, nor when I merge, that a passing semi doesn't accidentally get a courtesy flash that it's safe to cut back into my lane.

Hey guys so is there an actual confirmed fix for the carbon monoxide issue? I have a baby girl and obviously that's a concern for me. I saw in the Carfax that I posted it mentioned about the concern of that issue but not sure if it had been fixed. Anyway to know? And again, is there a true fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peterk9- Why do you have the Auto High beam turned off, To me that is an nice feature.
I find that when following a vehicle from a bit of a distance the high beams tend to come on and I have to jump in and turn them off. They are definitely better than the ones I had on my '64 Cadillac but still not perfect. I prefer to choose when to use the high beams and not have to worry about them coming on when they shouldn't.

Peter

Back