Looking too high on windshield? Tall driver issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking too high on windshield? Tall driver issue

tap24

Reaction score
City, State
GA
I tried new XLT today without a sunroof. Love the car's ride and looks. Big improvement in headroom over version with sunroof I tried last week (probably 2'3" difference). I am 6'2" with long torso and I sit very upright. I fit a little better in the Flex, but am not into its looks or clunkiness. Also looking Buick Enclave, but not sure about quality of GM (all prior cars Acuras and Infinitis). My only issue is whether I am too high on the windshield in the 2011 XLT. The 2011 Ex. seems to have a more angled (toward horizontal) windshield, thus making it shorter from top to bottom. I feel that the visor is close to my line of sight. Anyone else feel this way? Enclave seems to have a slightly taller windshield.

I have this same issue with my 05 Explorer. My line of vision is about at the top of the windshield.
I don't think, since the second generation, ford has taken tall people into consideration for the ford explorer. I owned a 98 Explorer, and I could see a lot easier out of that explorer, than with my newer one.
I am also 6'2". I find especially at stop lights it is hard to see the lights.

I am 6'4" and had no problem with the head height. I am not an erect sitter though.

Jack

The 2011 Ex. is a great looking car. The quality of the interior is very high. Based on my height, however, I will be getting a Flex -- much more headroom and taller windshield, and more room for the second row passengers. Though I expect to take some grief for the Flex's looks, I like it -- especially if they update the grill a bit for 2012. The Explorer is an excellent car and should sell very well. They are selling like hotcakes in Atlanta. Just does not fit my body.

Back