for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Loose Gas Cap Warning Light

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by sjmst, December 26, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sjmst

sjmst New Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      Year and Model:
      2007 Limited
      This keep coming on, 2007 Explorer Limited V8. After a while my check engine light icon lights up. My mechanic checked the systems and all seemed fine, so he reset the light. For about a week no problems, then the loose cap light keeps popping up (no check engine light yet). Truck runs 100% perfect except for the light.
      Any ideas as to what this could be?
      Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Riken

Riken New Member

i could be any leak in the gas tank/filler neck. my 98 has a gas tank pressure sensor, i think your will be similar. if the ecm closes all the vent solenoids, then takes some pressure samples, then compares them. i'm assuming its pointing the finger at the gas cap whenever it detects a vapour leak. those codes won't tell you whats wrong. you have to know how to interpret them.

take a regulated air supply, set it to no more than 1-2 psi and put it in your filler neck and seal it somehow, plastic bags, anything. then have someone listen under the truck for any sounds of a leak or strong gas odors.

4. sjmst

sjmst New Member

City, State:
      Long Island, NY
      Year and Model:
      2007 Limited
      Thanks!