• Register Today It's free!

Loose Steering wheel

johnbyler

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer EB
My steering wheel has about 3" of play side to side. Have replaced both inner and outer tie rods, as well as both upper control arms. The steering intermediate shaft seems to be very loose, I can holding it and physically move it up and down/side to side about1-2" each way. Is there a bearing from the firewall that connects the steering shafts that could be causing this issue? Any other ideas of what to check?
I also have the 3" body lift with 2.25" strut spacers. Maybe the steering extension needs replacing?

Thanks,
John

I had a similar problem with my old eddie bauer where there was play in the steering wheel. I was told it was the gearing in the steering box, so for us, might want to look into rack and pinion. Just my .2 cents on that

My steering wheel has about 3" of play side to side. Have replaced both inner and outer tie rods, as well as both upper control arms. The steering intermediate shaft seems to be very loose, I can holding it and physically move it up and down/side to side about1-2" each way. Is there a bearing from the firewall that connects the steering shafts that could be causing this issue? Any other ideas of what to check?
I also have the 3" body lift with 2.25" strut spacers. Maybe the steering extension needs replacing?

Thanks,
John

Went to another alignment shop and they fixed the excessive play, not sure what was out of whack or if anything was worn. They didn't say anything was wrong. Randomly when driving, it'll feel loose then tightens back up. More than likely, in my case, it's the intermediate steering shaft.

I had a similar problem with my old eddie bauer where there was play in the steering wheel. I was told it was the gearing in the steering box, so for us, might want to look into rack and pinion. Just my .2 cents on that

Back