• Register Today It's free!

Losing Antifreeze - No puddle?!?

94Mustang

Reaction score
City, State
Norristown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Has anyone had any issues with their truck using antifreeze?

My truck is consistently losing antifreeze but it doesn't leave a puddle, and after a thorough inspection, I can't seem to find any evidence of a leak under the hood (though admitedly it isn't easy to see in the crowded 4.6 engine bay).

Couple of other points of interest:

I can smell antifreeze outside of the truck and through the air vents after the truck warms up.

No white smoke, or any indication of a head gasket being blown.

Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad heater core or blown head gasket.
Look under the floor mats and see if wet.

There are only 3 possibilities 1. it is in the engine oil (not good) 2. it's getting burned up in the cylinders 3. heater core went check to see if it's wet under the carpet. The only other thing is a very small leak but you should be able to see it at idle when the engine is hot.

Thats what I was going to say check your dip stick and make sure its not over full or has any white to it. If so not good news. Check rug and see if it feels wet (heater core leaking)

You could have a pressure test done and that should show where the leak is.

Good stuff guys, so here's some more data....

1) I've changed the oil since the the issue has been occuring, normal.. no signs of antifreeze.

2) Could still be burning up in the cylinder, but I smell it (which leads me to beleive its more of a hidden leak, and no smoke indicating it might be burning fluid.

3) Good thought on the heater core... our 2010 sport trac limited doesn't have carpet... which may actually be hiding the interior leak where a wet carpet may have revealed itself.... so I'll poke around and see if I see anything and get back to you.

although not a big fan of it there is a silver power stop leak that I used many years ago that worked great back in the good old days. LOL

As a last resort maybe try a tube of this I can remember fixing a smaller pin hole leak on a heater core once and I had a 10 wheel dump truck that had a pin hole leak and watched it stop after I put the powder in the radiator and it lasted many years and was still holding when I sold the truck.....

I am pretty sure it was this
G12BP.gif

,,,,,Good thought on the heater core... our 2010 sport trac limited doesn't have carpet... which may actually be hiding the interior leak where a wet carpet may have revealed itself.... so I'll poke around and see if I see anything and get back to you.
They still have a thick padded rubber mat thou.

My wife's Taurus is leaking at the timing cover right onto the exhaust pipe, so you can smell it but not see it. Just a thought.

I have an 07 V6, the radiator developed a small crack/leak on the side and was replaced under warranty. I have also had the water pump replaced earlier this year as it was leaking where the fan unit attaches. I noticed the overflow tank losing fluid, but no puddles on the garage floor. I found some white residue on the bottom hose at the water pump, and the mechanic indicated a new water pump was needed. I could also see the white residue at different points all over the water pump, so new water pump. No leaks, or losing antifreeze since.

94Mustang Results

Hey 94Mustang,

I have same issues with 03 Expedition. Did you find anything conclusive?

Puzzled:rolleyes:

yeah... My 2007 sport trac does the same thing looks like right behind the thermostat its puddling up on top of the engine... not sure where its leaking yet

If it is a V6, the common leaks are the overflow tank, radiator and thermostat housing.

If everything else checks out, get a test kit to check for hydrocarbons in the coolant system. Alot of the time when a headgasket is bad it won't always have tell tail signs. You may also smell the exhaust fumes in the coolant, I had this happen on one of my Mustangs before. This is a last resort if everything checks out ok and you have no leaks.

eppd 00

Here is another possibility if it's a 4.6. The intakes on the early 4.6 was all aluminum. They changed them to plastic around 1996. Ford had a major issue with the plastic intake manifolds cracking behind the thermostat housing(found this fiasco with my fleet of Crown Vics(police cars). Their fix was an aluminum addition to the front of the intake, which is similar to the intake on my 08 ST. I know there is a difference between the 2v and the 3v intake but it could be your problem.

Does the 4.6L use a normal style radiator cap? If so, check that as well. On my 4.0L, I was losing coolant- but not into the oil or into a puddle. The seal on my radiator cap was bad. Replaced with a new one and no more leaking coolant.

Guys, I'm having the same problem with my 2002 Ranger 4.0L with 157,000 miles on it, but this vehicles is well maintained. About every two week, I'm adding the usual 6 oz. or so of coolant (disappearing for the pass two months now). I finally mixed in Bar's Gasket Stop Leak in the radiator, because I'm tired monitoring that coolant level. The truck doesn't exhaust that white smoke a 007 car (the tailpipe is like new with not residue), and there's no trace of leakage anywhere I park. But, I once had a head gasket leak on one of my vehicle in the past, that blew white smoke the first thing every morning, until I mixed the old type NAPA Stop leak additive in the radiator - I ran that car for years beyond that, and traded the car in. I had another car that had another head gasket leak and the tell-tell sign on it was gas bubbles coming from the radiator via radiator cap to the coolant reservoir. That combustion gas had cascade to the coolant system via the radiator cap set pressure to the reservoir after shutting the vehicle off. That's one tell-tell sign, but I wasn't even getting that indication with this 2002 Ranger's scenario. That PCV valve design at the end of the valve cover (Driver's side) is suspect to me now, it has that coolant line associated with it???? I'm looking at all the possibilities, like what about that transmission cooler in the radiator. My motor oil is okay, that level is consistent, and the color and smell is alright, but I haven't checked that transmission fluid (Transmission cooling lines tied into the radiator) ... Is that a possibility???? Thanks, for accepting my input. Bill

^
How To Replace the Upper and Lower Thermostat Housing on a Ford 4.0L V6 SOHC
http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

If not, rent a cooling system pressure test kit from most auto parts stores with a fully refundable deposit. Call around.

2 times I had the same symptoms. Could smell the anti freeze but no puddles. I was also losing anti freeze. Well the 1st time it was the radiator leaking. The 2nd time it was the lower thermostat housing. Hope this helps.

Okay, a couple things: My friend, a mechanic in the business for 50 years, told me NOT to put a pressure tester on this old 2002 Ranger because it may cause something else to blow out, like the heater core, gasket, or whatever at that higher pressure. He said with this baby coolant leak to continue to add that small amount of coolant to the reservoir. I checked the floor in the cab in case the heater core was leaking - Nothing. I checked the thermostat housing and that general vicinity - no leaks. Now, someone mentioned it will leak more in the colder weather, maybe making it more obvious so a repair can be made. I guess I'll wait until the colder weather ... I mean I don't see any changes to the oil level or color, and the truck runs cool as always. I did the Bars Leak additive thing weeks ago to the radiator, but the coolant level continues to disappear, so I'll thinking my leak isn't internal (head gasket). So, I'll wait for the obvious or if someone comes up with something more tangible. I mean I'm watching this truck like a hawk, but the wife is saying, "Sell! Sell! Sell!".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 08 ST V8 there was a coolant leak that progressively got worse. Turned out to be the heater hose which runs under the intake back to the heater core. When the leak was minor the smell of coolant was obvious but no evidence of a leak as the hot engine would evaporate the coolant that leaked onto the block. As the leak got worse a puddle developed from the back of the engine. I had the dealer replace the line in which case the intake manifold had to be removed..cost about $1500. total. Here is another way to do it without replacing the manifold....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPTPL6lVuFM

Back