1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Loud Knocking Noise (Lifters?)

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by ADonato, July 22, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ADonato

ADonato New Member

City, State:
      Lafayette, IN
      Year and Model:
      2003 Ford Explorer XLT
      I have had my 2003 Explorer for the past year and a few months and have had a knocking noise from time to time when I start the engine. It was very light at first and barely noticable until this winter when it got a bit louder. At that time it would go away fairly quickly tho (10-20 secs). Now this summer it has been knocking much louder and continues to knock for a minute or up to 5 mins. I took it by a Ford dealer just to get a quick opinion to see if it was anything that needed attention and they said it was my lifters and that this happens with Explorers as you put mileage on them. Mine has 99,000 miles. They told me if I thickened my oil from the recommended 5W-20 to a 10W or 20W that it would stop the knocking noise. I changed it to 20W-50 and it completely stopped for a few days but the knocking noise is back now. It is very light but it is there again and stays for 30 secs to a minute or two. Can anyone give me an idea of what is going on or let me know if you have had this problem as well. I want to make sure this isn't serious and I am treating this properly.
      Thanks for your help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 07XLT4x2v8

07XLT4x2v8 New Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      07 XLT
      I also have this issue on my 07 v8. I was told to try the oil change and will do that soon. Hope that this solves the problem.

4. Joey P

Joey P Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year and Model:
      2004 Strac
      Changing oil may mask and even stop the problem as you noticed but you really need to find out what the problem is to fix it right. And then, don't go back to that dealer if that is what they told you to do. Changing oil won't "fix" anything. Is your explorer the v6 or v8? v6, I might lean towards timing chain issue? Just a guess because I do not know.

5. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, MI
      Year and Model:
      '10 Sport Trac
      First make sure you don't have a cheap oil filter in there, use Motorcraft Filter 820s (V8), been there done that.

i can't listen to your truck from here, . . .post a clip maybe??
      with Worn Lifters noise is not so much a knock but more of a tap.
      The frequency of the noise might point a finger at something. . imo.
      Example:
      tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap etc (all lifters are bad, or noisy injectors, or the cheap filter on startup for like 10seconds)
      tap, x, x, x, x, tap? Each 'x' is kinda of like a single piston firing off no noise . . . (one bad lifter)
      or are you hearing more of a
      A knock, you can almost feel it too, is usually bottom end issue.
      Ex.
      knock, y,y,y,y,y,y,y,knock Each 'y' is a single piston (This would be a bottom end problem, Piston Slap, Rod bearing, doom)
      sorry for the weird quesiton but . . . can you describe it a little better . . .hopefully this will point you in the right direction for starters.

6. 07XLT4x2v8

07XLT4x2v8 New Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      07 XLT
      Well for my X (07 v8) it is definately more of a tap. Very consistent noise that finally goes away after several minutes. I have 65k miles on it.

i don't understand why the oil filter would cause this noise. I have to look tomorrow and see what brand is in there.

Thanks for the replies.

7. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, MI
      Year and Model:
      '10 Sport Trac
      cheap filters sometimes have a poor or omit the drain back valve, it prevents the filter from draining all of the oil out of it while its shut off, on startup the oil pump has to fill the filter first before oil get to the valves thus the 10-20 second delay, but this would be all valves, its sounds almost like a diesel.

If you really have a lifter problem it might be a diy as the cam/lifters are on top of the head.

8. 07XLT4x2v8

07XLT4x2v8 New Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      Year and Model:
      07 XLT
      Well I checked and I have a Fram toughguard filter on there.
      When I change my oil next - should be due very soon - I will put a Motorcraft filter on it.

9. kawaleks

kawaleks New Member

City, State:
      chagrin falls,Ohio
      Year and Model:
      2000XLT
      I also have the knocking issue on my 2000 explorer, but it is constent. changed the oil and the back half of the exhaust to no avail, my mechanic thinks it may be the timing chain, he estimates at least $1400 to possibly fix with no gaurentees. the truck has 160,000 miles on it. any thoughts about oil additives that might reduce the sound. unfortunately it is at the end of its days and I want to get every mile I can out of it. any thoughts

10. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      Year and Model:
      07 Sport Trac
      check cam phaser failure.

11. cober

cober New Member

Year and Model:
      1996 Ford Explorer
      replace rocker arms and knocking sound will go