loud vibrating noise when speed up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

loud vibrating noise when speed up

pumpkinbrat

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
hey guys
I noticed that whenever i speed up to 70 or higher, the steering wheel starts vibrating. I also noticed that something in the dash is loose b/c that starts shaking also. I am wondering if maybe whoever owned it before me shook something loose when they went 4x4ing. what do u think? has anyone had this problem, if so how can i fix it?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time you had the wheels balanced? Have you hit any curbs lately? Could be your alignment.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

It's the balancing, alignment, or maybe a tie rod (which will be found with the alignment).

shaking

Fords OEM shocks can wear out and be useless in very little time. Have them checked - they can be cause of severe shaking at freeways speeds because they don't dampen the suspension and it goes a little out of control. Check the shocks as well as the other recommendations. How to check them: Push down hard on the front bumper and let up quick or drive over some speed bumps - if the front bounces up and down more than twice before completely recovering - your shocks problem went bad. Mine were both totally shot at 38k miles and probably were before then - just took me that long to believe it and change them, any my truck has never been off road. The shock change on both fronts made it like a new truck and totallly stopped the front shaking.

I would also think that it would need balancing. My '93 did that at high speeds (like 70) until I got them balanced.

hi
I just wanted to let yall know that i checked my oem shocks like one of you guys suggested and that doesnt seem to be the problem. I think its probably my alignment. I really appreciate everyones help. I am new to owning an suv and plus im a woman (i hope no ladies take offense) so i dont know what exactly im doing. But im trying to learn, thats gotta be worth something. So the more help the more i learn. thanks!

Mine was the wheel bearings loose and the u-joint trashed. shocks were not made to absorb that type of vibration.
Good luck and keep posting!!

Back