• Register Today It's free!

Low Coolant Temp Code PO125

FGH

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Well the other day the check engine light came on when my wife was driving. Its a 96 Explorer 2 wheel drive with a V-6. I was in it a few days ago and thought the temperature guage was reading low. I got a code reader and got code "PO125" that reads that the coolant temperature was too low for the closed fuel loop, or something close to that.

I thought it must be a thermastat was stuck open or maybe the fan clutch isn't disengaging. I'll be looking at those things tonight. Have you dealt with this situation or have any other ideas? THANKS!!!
:confused:

It could be a variety of things.. Try searching P0125 in the search tab and see what you come up with. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking either a open thermostat, maybe a sensor issue for coolant.

If the gauge reads low too, chances are the code is accurate. There should be two different sensors for this...one for the gauge and one for the ECM. Sounds like both are reading low. I'm betting on a thermostat. You should have a 195 degree stat in there...and make sure it's a good quality one. Don't go with a cheapie from Autozone or Checker.

Another good check is to turn your heater on max heat and see how hot the air is. If it's not very hot, then that tells you the coolant isn't hot either.

When you get the T-stat, make sure you also get a gasket. Some of them don't necessarily include it.

Back