1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Low Coolant Temp Code PO125

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by FGH, October 23, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FGH

FGH New Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, FL
      Year and Model:
      '96 XLT
      Well the other day the check engine light came on when my wife was driving. Its a 96 Explorer 2 wheel drive with a V-6. I was in it a few days ago and thought the temperature guage was reading low. I got a code reader and got code "PO125" that reads that the coolant temperature was too low for the closed fuel loop, or something close to that.

I thought it must be a thermastat was stuck open or maybe the fan clutch isn't disengaging. I'll be looking at those things tonight. Have you dealt with this situation or have any other ideas? THANKS!!!
      :confused:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian Moderator Emeritus EF Vendor

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
      Year and Model:
      It could be a variety of things.. Try searching P0125 in the search tab and see what you come up with. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking either a open thermostat, maybe a sensor issue for coolant.

4. Cobraguy

Cobraguy Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Phoenix...Greatest City on Earth
      Year and Model:
      1995 EB & 1999 EB 5.0
      If the gauge reads low too, chances are the code is accurate. There should be two different sensors for this...one for the gauge and one for the ECM. Sounds like both are reading low. I'm betting on a thermostat. You should have a 195 degree stat in there...and make sure it's a good quality one. Don't go with a cheapie from Autozone or Checker.

Another good check is to turn your heater on max heat and see how hot the air is. If it's not very hot, then that tells you the coolant isn't hot either.

5. marragtop

marragtop Well-Known Member

City, State:
      balt, md
      Year and Model:
      91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
      When you get the T-stat, make sure you also get a gasket. Some of them don't necessarily include it.