for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Low Fuel Light

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Newport5003, December 22, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Newport5003

Newport5003 New Member

Year and Model:
      '01 Sport Trac
      I've noticed that a low fuel light never comes on in my truck... or at least I never got to the point where it does. I usually drive about 270 miles (17.3 gallons) before i fill up, which is usually when the needle starts to fall into the red line (which i find that needle isn't very accurate because 2/3 of a tank suddenly turns into a full tank if i'm driving on a hill.

When does your low fuel light come on? And how much fuel is left after it comes on? (And yes I know it's bad to drive with the gas at the bottom of the tank)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. DBray6

DBray6 Member

City, State:
      Holiday, FL
      Year and Model:
      '03 Sport Trac
      My low fuel light comes on when there is less than 2 gallons left in the tank. When I fuel as soon as the light comes on I pump 20 gallons.

4. John_Rock

John_Rock Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      Year and Model:
      2001 Sexy Sport Trac 4x4
      The light that comes on is the "Check Guage" light. And I believe it is when you have about 2 gallons left. When I've run it this low and I go to fillup, the amount of gallons to fillup is usually around 18 gallons. And we are supposed to have 20 gallons tanks(Job 1 ST's).

5. DBray6

DBray6 Member

City, State:
      Holiday, FL
      Year and Model:
      '03 Sport Trac
      Correction on my post. Mine is the also the check guage light. The '03 ST has a fuel capacity of 22.5 gallons. I assumed that the 01's were the same.

6. Newport5003

Newport5003 New Member

Year and Model:
      '01 Sport Trac
      Thanks! I was going to wait until it goes to the low fuel light (or as you said its the check gauge light) but every time I go to do it I get nervous after about 270 or so miles. I guess sport trac's don't have an earlier warning... I know on hondas it can be around 80 miles before the tank is truly empty that the low fuel light comes on.

7. Squirrelmaster

Squirrelmaster Active Member

City, State:
      St. Paul, MN
      Year and Model:
      '04 Explorer Eddie Bauer
      Mine also comes on with a "Low Fuel" warning on the DIC when there is roughly 2-3 gallons left.

Tom

8. bgismo20

bgismo20 New Member

City, State:
      Ann Arbor MI
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer Sport Trac
      I also have no low fuel light. Seems to be a thing on the 01s. Thanks