and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Low side valve location?

Discussion in 'Explorer, Ranger, A/C & Heater systems HVAC' started by George1601, June 8, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. George1601

George1601 New Member

City, State:
      Millville, NJ
      Year and Model:
      2003 Mountaineer
      Just want to make sure I have the right valve for recharging my ac on a 2003 Mountaineer. I see one on the small cannister on the passenger side next to the washer fluid fill and another on the driver side on a tube just behind the radiator and in front of the ac compressor. Which do I use?
      Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Bikehammer

Bikehammer New Member

City, State:
      Sterling Heights, MI
      Year and Model:
      1997 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD
      I, just came in from an attempt and was asking the same thing. Did someone answer you?

4. scucci

scucci Active Member

Year and Model:
      98 Sport
      The low side port is usually located on the accumulator. That is a cylinder with a switch mounted on top. Usually on the passenger side.
      http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/corroded_accumulator.htm
      The low side and high side ports are also not the same size. A manifold gage will only fit on the correct port. The low side is 13mm and the high side is 16mm. The low side is used for charging the system.

5. jmacattack

jmacattack New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      Year and Model:
      2004 XLT
      I just did this on my 2004 explorer. The low side is on top of the can on the passenger side in the front. The hi side, which I didn't bother with, is on the driver side in the front.

Hope this helps.