How to: - Lower your explorer (pics) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Lower your explorer (pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
So I'm going to be putting blocks on my explorer soon. I swapped my springs today to fix the sag and was wondering what you did with the brake line bracket after you added the blocks. It doesn't seem as though would fit back on after the brackets lower the perch without stretching the line.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lowering my Sport

I am trying to lower my '03 Explorer Sport 2 to 3 inches. i am planning on using 2" blocks in the back, but as far as the front... i am kind of lost. What would be the best way to lower the front end of my Explorer? Thank you ahead of time for any information that you may have.

hi i have a ford explorer 2 door and i would like to knnow if they sell a lowering kit for the car i have a 4.0 97 explorer ?

WILL THIS WORK FOR EX-P's with the AIR RIDE SUSPENSION???

Title line says it all!

I've got the air ride system in my 1997 Explorer limited and carry a bit of weight in the back (probably quite a bit). It doesnt handle well as a result at all.

I have bought (yet to be installed) 18 inch wheels with 235/60/18 summers which may help out a bit over the 15" wheels and tires.

I would like to lower, and perhaps get sway bars. Front? Rear? Both?

So Can I lower with my air ride system? Is it the same as this post? modifications to it?

Yay Nay?

Thanks!

ford

hi i would to know the blocks that you used to lower your ford were did you get it from and how much is it ?

2" blocks, it's in the first post.

I'm lowering my Mountaineer right now, just waiting for some more pb blaster to soak in, then im gonna go at it.

Time to wake up an old thread..

Does anyone know if someone makes an adjustable coil-over for a Gen2 that would allow you to delete the TT altogether?

:thumbsup:

Puts me on the right track, thanks!

Please, if you can, take pictures of your progress. A thread dedicated to this would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Last night after work I decided to install a pair if 2in blocks and give the old girl a twist..

pq9l.jpg

2kk8.jpg

Not very noticeable, yet.

Where did you get the roll pan?
Also I want to drop mine more than the torsion twist makes possible in the front, what are my options? I like your style. We have similar ideas.

After you lower you explorer like this, how does it handle? I am looking to make my 98 xlt's handling tighter. Its got about 110k on it and I have seen 2 packages that sound like they make a good combo so far. One is 400 or so, bucks for the upgraded rear swaybar and lowering blocks with edlebrock shocks from Explorer Express and the other is 400 for a front end kit from Performance Suspension Technology with all polyurethane bushings, ball joints etc... Before I blow the cash does anyone have any input. I drive mostly on asphalt but hit some dirt, gravel roads occasionally.
Do you also need to replace the sway bar to do the drop?

two questions....where did you get the blocks and can you have a shop twist the torsion bars for you? to lower the front i have a 98 sport with 4wd and i wanna lower it some b4 i add bigger wheels
That the same truck I have and thanks for the question cause I wanna do it too.

I hope you still respond to this post. I have a 98 spot and I'm thinking on dropping it because on certain turns my trucks rear looses all traction and sort of hops around. I would like to know what is needed and where Can I get it and second was torsion twist all you did for the front?? Please help.
Ps. Nice write up and I cant believe all the negative comments about the red paint, that wasn't the issue here. Thx.

I hope you still respond to this post. I have a 98 spot and I'm thinking on dropping it because on certain turns my trucks rear looses all traction and sort of hops around. I would like to know what is needed and where Can I get it and second was torsion twist all you did for the front?? Please help.
Ps. Nice write up and I cant believe all the negative comments about the red paint, that wasn't the issue here. Thx.

2004 Lower and handles alot better

I have a 2004 Sport trac on 20s and was looking all over for a lowering kit. I saw the X-spec kit but wanted to go a little lower. After many calls and alot of searching I found another rout I picked up 2-3"lowering torsion keys from AIM INDUSTRIES they are like $40. for the pair. They also have lifting keys same price. I also picked up 2" blocks new U bolts, and toxic lowering shocks. I De arched my leaf springs 2"s used the 2" blocks and had the 4" rear 2" front drop I was looking for and it cost under $250. for all the parts. If I wanted I could have went lower I had lots of adjustment left in the torsion keys and could have used larger blocks. The Ride I get now you wouldnt think its the same truck. I have not put in an anti sway bar but I have no more body roll at all. It handles turns at higher speeds with ease. I have been looking into maybe bagging it now becouse I think they look awesome tuckin 22"s but I dont want to lose great handling I have now since its a daily driver. Anyway just wanted to share another less expensive way to lower the Explorer and Sport Trac.
Hittin Hard Tim

I have a 2004 Sport trac on 20s and was looking all over for a lowering kit. I saw the X-spec kit but wanted to go a little lower. After many calls and alot of searching I found another rout I picked up 2-3"lowering torsion keys from AIM INDUSTRIES they are like $40. for the pair. They also have lifting keys same price. I also picked up 2" blocks new U bolts, and toxic lowering shocks. I De arched my leaf springs 2"s used the 2" blocks and had the 4" rear 2" front drop I was looking for and it cost under $250. for all the parts. If I wanted I could have went lower I had lots of adjustment left in the torsion keys and could have used larger blocks. The Ride I get now you wouldnt think its the same truck. I have not put in an anti sway bar but I have no more body roll at all. It handles turns at higher speeds with ease. I have been looking into maybe bagging it now becouse I think they look awesome tuckin 22"s but I dont want to lose great handling I have now since its a daily driver. Anyway just wanted to share another less expensive way to lower the Explorer and Sport Trac.
Hittin Hard Tim

Hittin Hard Tim
Where can I find a the lowering blocks for my 98 explorer sport??

Thats odd. How fast are you taking those corners? What condition are your tires in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

like I said in the beginning IGNORE THE CRAPPY SWAY BAR PAINT JOB :confused:

I was just doing it quickly when I did it (you can't notice how bad it is unless you get close). I was planning on painting my whole underbody, but I think weather conditions will prevent me from doing it during my xmas break.

isn't this thread suppose to be about lowering blocks? :D
I did som looking around and found some lowering blacks at Andys , should I get aluminum or steel ?? Thx.

Back