james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
well, i finally got rid of my VST's (Very Sh!tty Technology) and put some of the lowered Edelbrock shocks on the front of my 2" dropped 96 2wd. holy crap! man these things ride good! they ride a lot better than the several sets of VST's ive had on the front, even when they were new. (each set lasted about 2 weeks.) the ride is a little firm, sort of like the "controlled harshness" of a sports car. but it is definatly an improvement over the stockers and the blown out VST's. for those of you out there that, like me, questioned the lowered edelbrocks (spec for 1 3/8 inch drop) on an X lower than 1 3/8, let me tell you what the Edelbrock tech rep. said. he said that the shocks work off of a "floating valve" that senses the velocity of the bump and adjusts accordingly. the shocks will work with more drop than 1 3/8 inches, as it is NOT the first bit of travel that is soft and the rest firm. this valve "floats" and will do its job at any position. they put 1 3/8 on the spec because EE ordered 'em, and thats what goes with their 1 3/8 "lowering kit" (if you can call it that). he also said the only difference between the lowered X shocks and the regulars is the lowered ones are valved a little stiffer to help compensate for the reduced pre-load when lowering a 95- X. i hope this helps shed some light on this issue. for what its worth, they are DEFINATELY worth the money and as soon as i can im gonna order a set for the rear.

thanks for clearing this up.

i thought that was the way they worked and couldn't understand when people were saying otherwise.

i still can't decide whether or not to go down to a 3" drop, or what shocks i'm going to run.

Back