"Lowering" a myth or something? Heh? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Lowering" a myth or something? Heh?

modswap

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 LIMITED
I have seen a lot of people talking about lowering they're xlpr's but have not seen any pics (or many) that I can recall - I have seen one or 2 online somewhere -

I WANT TO GO LOWER - my 98 limited w/ 4 wheel drive need t o be lower - it has never been off-road and never will be it is a street "sleeper" you know the X that blew the mirror's off that kids Civic!

I do need to go low - It is a limited and is lower than all the other stock exlpr's for somereason I would say 2" lower that most stock non limited explr's -

I still want more drop - It already has a front and rear sway bar, but it needs more control when going like 90 - 100 its on the edge ya know!

If anyone knows of a really reliable and stable performance lowering system or kit please HELP!

Thanks for any ideas -

Later - :shoot:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check out explorer express. I would look into new sway bars, shocks, and another 2 - 3 inches in drop if you want handleing, maybe even some wider tires.

There are tons of pics of lowered Explorers, you just have to know where to look. ExplorerUnderground.com and Sounddomain.com have tons of lowered Explorer pics.

You can lower a 4WD 2 inches via a torsion twist and blocks in the back. However, since you have a limited, you might run into problems if you have the air ride suspension.

Lowering is pretty damn easy. Check out Dead Link Removed . That will tell you how to lower the front quite a bit. The back is just blocks and you will probably have to ditch the air ride or severely modify it. Is your X 4X4? I wouldnt go that low if it is. You may be asking for problems if you go really low. What engine do you have? And what have you done to make it fast?

Explorer4u2c - Question for you -

Originally posted by Explorer4u2c
I lowered mine 4 inches... check it out at...

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/explorer4u2c

Explorer4u2c - Question for you - and comment

Not to sound rude or anything...

First your explorer looks very nice I like it a lot!

And.. I was looking at the profile pics of yours that are "after the drop" (4" I think)

Your X does not look much lower than mine is already?
It is odd - I have not done anything to mine to make it lower - I know it is already lower than the explorers I pull up next to on the street and in store parkeing lots.

My X is a Limited Edition 98' would this be lower already?
I know it already had 2 sway bars front and back -

Did you messure your height if so what is it so I can messure mine as well and wher do you messure from - I will try to find a pic of mine to show you what I mean also - I will messure mine and we will see whats going on ....

Thanks for your help -

Later - :shoot:

did you buy yours used? it could have already been lowered?

Yes I did get it used -

A few of the limiteds in my area seem to be lower than most other stock explorers too. Maybe its just an illusion. :p

Does anyone know the height of a lowered and or stock explorer or something I can compare to mine and where to I measure from? I know the ground up but from what point on the x.

Thanks

Limiteds seem lower because most have air ride suspension that allows for a lower ride on-road and a higher ride off-road.

Re: Explorer4u2c - Question for you -

My X is a Limited Edition 98' would this be lower already?
I know it already had 2 sway bars front and back -

[/B]

The Ltd should not be any lower than any other Explorer.

The all have a front and rear sway bar.

The following is a write up on how I lowered my '99....

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Go there it shows my Xplr pics are not that good but it looks lower than most in person - what do you think>?

you've seen the two inches on mine already, but here's a few more lowered explorers

Attachments

• explorer.jpg
    explorer.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 608

RE: did you try puttin it in 4LO yet?

Yep - and it made a loud clank noise and did not move - something messed up with it and after I did it my LED light on the radio and clock stopped working ??

lol - :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well there was gonna be more pics, but they were all too big. oh well, go check out Dead Link Removed
and the members rides at explorerunderground.com

Attachments

• 101-0120_img.jpg
    101-0120_img.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 615

Back