Lowering an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering an Explorer

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
What exactly is involved in lowering an Explorer?

Are there real world advantages for doing it?

What about the Explorer Express lowering kit?

Thanks.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

low

Lowering? hehehe

Not much to it..on the 91-94 w/TTB you can either get front coils with a small drop and do blocks or de-arch the springs in the rear for a small drop, or (if you have a 2WD) just get a custom bent front setup and de-arch the springs again for a massive drop.

The newer models with torsion bars are even easier...simple blocks for the rear again to lower a bit, and just just twist the bars up front to match.

You will have to have an alignment afterwards to make up the excessive negative camber.

The benefits of slight lowering are minimal, as you will need to add performance shocks and perhaps polyurethane bushings and larger sway bars to see the overall benefit for improved handling.

You will probably see a large benefit just by getting new shocks and bushings plus the sway bars than you will from lowering.

Lowering modifications would be most useful on a pavement-only Explorer, but the shocks, sway bars, bushings, etc would improve on one for any type of use.

WHY!

???

I think my X handles so much better since it was lowered. Wider/lower profile tires helped also. I upgraded to a 98 front sway bar at the same time.
before I decided to lower it I had replaced the shocks w/ Monroe sensetrac. Probably will go to the new type Monroes as the dealer will give me credit for the old ones.
Its never going to be a Mustang but it is a hell of a lot better than when I got it.

As to the question of why...That is what this section of the forum is about. You don't see any of us posting similar questions about lifting do you?
To each his own--live & let live--ect.--ect.--ect.--

Bill, do you have any pictures of your truck? What you have done sounds exactly like what I want to do.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

I used the explorer express kit.....

i like almost everything about that explorer. it's lowered, and not a scraper. and the dual exhaust looks cool. i'm just not a big fan of polished rims, but they're stock anyway.

thank you bill for representing us "low-ies"

i used the explorer express kit... but man, your truck seems a lot lower than mine??

Bill, did you experience any difference in ride quality ( not handeling ) when you lowered?

aldive,

i know you've been thinking about lowering for a while now... are you just wanting to lower your X or did you want to do the whole thing: lower, shocks and sway bar?

you can always lower it, then raise it back up if you're not happy with it. all you need are lowering blocks and ubolts, which i believe are avail at pep boys for like $30. you just need the right size. i have no idea where you can get the camber adjusters... probably an alignment shop.

so, the parts, plus alignment, you can lower your X for about $100. to raise it back up would simply cost you some time and the cost of another alignment...

i went with the EE pkg, for the convenience of it, but the lowering pkg definitely isn't worth the $160 that they charge.

Al, I did'nt notice any difference from the lowering. The improvement in ride quality came from the shocks. The new "reflex" Monroes are supposed to do even better.
When you lower the front you are softening up the suspension by "unloading" the torsion bars. Shocks are supposed to make up for that.
Don't get me wrong, it still rides like a truck but is is better than stock. Since the only time I'll be "offroad" is if I miss a turn this is the best setup for me.
Unless your into wrenching and parts store hopping I would get Explr. Express kit. Install cost me appx. $25. (rear) & 125. (front) including an alignment.
Go for it.. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

i have the monroe reflex shocks. they are great. i bought them when they were on sale, buy 3 get the 4th free. the ride quality is so much better.

Any comments on Monroe's vs edelbrocks for use on a lowered truck?

Thanks

try a search. many people on this site said the edelbrocks were not worth the money. they give a rough ride. some people do like them though. i guess it all depends on personal preference.

i do know that edelbrock makes shocks specifically designed for use on explorers lowered 1" - 1.5". not sure how they're different from the regular edelbrocks, but i'd assume they were a little stiffer to make up for the loss in suspension travel.

as for monroes, i think they only make one type for stock and lowered explorers, though it shouldn't matter much... from how bill puts it, he's happy with his monroes.

from reading this board and from personal experience, seems as though the edelbrocks are a little harsher than the monroes, though as it's been said many times, it's all personal preference.

Hi all,

aldive,
I just lowered my X with Pep boys 1 inch blocks with longer u bolts for the rear ($23.99) The front is free and as far as the camber washers any decent alignment shop should either have these in stock or be able to get them for cheap! IMO what your paying for in the EE kit is a set of really expensive instructions... A monkey could lower an X its that easy... I used Bilstein shocks and like them real well... Its been my experience on many vehicle's that Bilstein's are just great shocks period! I had Eldelbrock's on my Lightning truck once and didnt care for them at all (too soft)

Bill,

That's a great looking truck! what kind of front spoiler is that? How many clams did ya have to give for that unit? I like lights in the grill... looks neat!

Later!
Icepick
White 96 V8

Icepick............the u-bolts that you got from Pep Boys fit around the axle perfectly? The reason that i ask this is because I once got a set last year and they didn't fit around the axle, my axle was a little bit wider than the u-bolt

Yomie,

I do remember when i first went to install them I thought the same thing but it was just a matter of lining it up right it was really simple! Fits just like it was made for it!

Air dam is a Xenon. (same as EE sport dam).
Got it from car parts. for about 135 W/the 30% coupon they used to have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HEy Bill, How do you like that B&M shift Kit.

Back