Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Lowering blocks install question

Discussion in 'Seriously Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tec' started by Big_Pezzy, January 21, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Big_Pezzy

Big_Pezzy Active Member

City, State:
      San Bernardino CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 Ford Explorer Sport
      I ordered a set of blocks from summit, Belltech 6102, and noticed that the blocks have a slight angle to them. One side is taller than the other. Is this normal? And how would I install them?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Thicker end toward front, to maintain proper pinion angle.

did the blocks come with the proper u bolts? Be sure to use anti seize on those

4. Big_Pezzy

Big_Pezzy Active Member

City, State:
      San Bernardino CA
      2001 Ford Explorer Sport
      Thanks for the quick response. I believe the ubolts are the right size. According to summit, the are for a 3.25" axle. I went out side to sort of test fit them. I didn't put them completely on the axle because the were scratching (I'll wait to scratch it more during install). Still might need to use a hammer like I've heard others do. I had the U bolt next to the stock one, seems the same size to me

5. J_Train

J_Train Active Member

City, State:
      Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
      00 xlt v8
      if you are lowering the explorer you want the taller end at the back. so it point the pinion down.

6. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      EDIT- Oops, just realized this was a one year old thread bump. Hope the OP installed the blocks correctly. LOL

In order to level I assume you are lowering the front at least the same as the rear 2" Belltech blocks. Depending on the strength of your torsion bars, sometimes loosening or removing the torsion bolts may not give you enough drop. My ST only lowered 1.5 inches when I removed them. I'm not a believer in lift keys vs. TT, but these drop keys gave me more than enough needed to level the front using 3" cast iron blocks. These DROP 07 keys were selling for $150 a pair until recently. Always thought the "torsion flip" was kind of hack and always had the fear of them slipping, even with dimples drilled. Don't forget to install camber kits before attempting to align.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANGER-1998...ash=item419a149600:g:oBkAAOSw3ydVs4Ad&vxp=mtr

Last edited: January 18, 2017