Lowering headrest in back seat? Easier said than done apparently! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering headrest in back seat? Easier said than done apparently!

ClayEdgin

Reaction score
City, State
Salinas, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Sport
I just bought a 2001 Explorer Sport and love it! I really like how the back seats fold down. The only problem that neither I nor the dealer know how to fix is that the adjustable head rests in the back seats go up, but not down! There is normally a button at the base of the head rest that you push and that lowers them, but neither seat have them. I tried pushing, twisting, praying, etc., but no luck yet.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to how to get these things down? There must be a hidden button or magic spell I haven't found yet. Thanks.

Clay
Gripmonsta@aol.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97, and it had me confused for a while, but on mine, you just have to push them straight down, and pretty hard, although if you tried that, the 01 sport must be different. Hope you figure it out.

Hrm....should just push in...just punch it down LOL....

Well, I finally got them down. I had to pull them all the way up and then quickly shove them down. They will never be raised again! haha

Thanks for the replies.

I have an 01 explorer sport too.. and the rear headrest are a mutha to get down. I had to bang on it pretty hard for it to go down. I feel ya on the "not raising them again". I tell people not to touch them if they are in back.

That's funny, I had the same problem once. It just confused the hell out of me. Mine are never being put up again either. I think I just got lucky and it went down somehow.

It takes some force

Punch down on it with your fist, it should pop right down. I had the same issue with my 01 Sport, it just takes a bit more oomph than you would think.

I wish there was way to just to remove it like the cars of the late '60s.

Same problem in my 2000 sport, I just pulled the little retainer clips out and boom problem solved. Those things are never goin back up ;)

ive got a funny problem with my 02 head rest. everytime theres a bump in the road it sounds as if theres marbles in the left rear head rest. very annoying. is there a way to remove it, if not im gonna commit myself.

Am i missing what the hell "pizza" is?? Is this some kind of running joke or?! Im clueless.....

this thread was from 08-28-2004, 06:43 PM
i think he got it by now,,

Ha yeah I didn't even know this was a common problem. I am faced with the same issue though, and I have forcefully tried to make the headrests go down, and they are still up. If I ever get them down, they're not getting raised again.

Back