• Register Today It's free!

Lowering torsion bar HELP

Big_Pezzy

Reaction score
City, State
San Bernardino CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I was lowering my explorer this morning when I ran into a couple of issues. First off, I think I ordered the wrong front shocks (Belltech 8000). Threy ANy advice for that would be great. SUmmit Racing is taking a while to answer the phone. Second I'm pretty sure I MAXED the torsion bars(They wouldnt move further) Only got 2 inches of drop. went from 34 to 32. Could it be my messed up stock shocks that have no give? (I put them back on since the belltechs I couldnt figure how to fit them)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be the shocks are bottomed out, take em off and see if it goes lower. Shocks do nothing at all to support the vehicle ( unless they are bottomed out) so it is a good check

Also, you might take a look at the smashed bump stop(s) between the frame and lower control arm(s) ;)

Shave about an inch off that sucker with a sawzall

thanks for moving the thread. I realized after I posted. Anyways, I took the bump stops to cut them but my air saw took a dump. SO there are currently no bump stops, still only 2 inch of drop. Really weird. I thought I could go lower since Im 2WD. Anyone have thought on what to do about the shocks?

Did you jounce the front by driving over bumps before measuring? Were the bump stops bottomed out? Hack saw works fine, see link in post #3 . You may have the same issue I did. Removed the bolts and bump stops and only got 2" drop. Reclocking the torsion bars one flat (60 degrees) was too much. End fix was installing the FR-07 drop keys linked below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-FR-07-F...ger-Drop-Torsion-Keyways-pr-Arm-/371106709891

You might search for "torsion key flip"

Basically, you flip em over and using a die grinder you make a new cone shaped "pad" for the bolt tip to ride in.

Sorry for late response on my half, just got home from school. I didn't drive over bumps but I bounced the front end on my own. Pushing down on the hood with my weight. But honestly, it didn't move very much. Which is weird to me. I'm not sure sure how much it's supposed to bounce, but it probably only moved as much as my dads 09 camry would have. My target height was 31 inches all around (floor to fender) which would be a 3 in drop for the front. I've read about the torsion key flip but that would be too dramatic for me. How have others been able to achieve a 3 inch drop with the torsion bars only? I want to see if I'm doing something wrong before I go out buying more parts. Not that the FR-07 is a bad suggestion

I already did the alignment so I don't know how useful a picture of the ball joint will be now. I'll post it in the morning though, when there's light out.

Also, I drove about 10 miles after I lowered it to get the alignment. Then drove about 20 miles after that (School and back) so I'll measure it in the morning and see if the driving made a difference

How have others been able to achieve a 3 inch drop with the torsion bars only?

By flipping the keys over ;) Not dramatic at all, if you are even considering aftermarket keys. You'll still need to pull them off to change them and Both will essentially do the same thing.

Alignment makes no difference, Please show a picture of the upper ball joint, I do have something to show you, that you need to be aware of. Ok?

A shot of the upper ball joint and control arm taken from behind one of the wheels while turned toward the opposite side will do.

ok yeah. You don't want to push that, adding more doesn't allow for much travel, so a bump stop might be of concern also. Just so you are aware of this. Thanks for listening.

Yea I'll cut the bump stops for now but I'm thinking about getting polyurethane bump stops. So is the angle what you wanted to show me? how do people who have gone lower deal with that occurrence?

Yea I'll cut the bump stops for now but I'm thinking about getting polyurethane bump stops. So is the angle what you wanted to show me? how do people who have gone lower deal with that occurrence?

I am not sure how others did it but I ended up getting tired of replacing them and lifted my trucks. There are ways, possibly a uniball upper control arm.

Back