• Register Today It's free!

lpg help please

carmadrob

Reaction score
City, State
leicester
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 4ltr v6
hi posted in right place i hope , 2000 explorer 4ltr v6 northface, just got it and pleased, its had a zavoli multipoint lpg setup fitted, it runs on gas but very lumpy, cleaned out injectors with ic-12 and fitted new matrix filter but still the same, car runs fine on petrol, bit of misfire from cold but levels out after 5 minutes on petrol.next plan is fitting new plugs but getting conflicting views, standard but gapped smaller or brisk silver lpg ones, does anyone know what have fitted, ngk-bosch-ford etc. and they look a ***** to change lol. i hooked up my diag software and it shows misfire on cylinder 3 hopefully that will stop when i change plugs. the temp gauge only goes up to a quater is that normal, diag says engine temp 75 degrees, it runs on lpg but only if i keep revs up and stalls at junctions.sometimes even when im driving at speed it dies and i have to restart engine on petrol. any help would be great, thanks:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have got Brisk Silver plugs fitted, they have been in for 2yrs with no probs, and they came ready gapped. Due to an accident to my left hand I had them fitted by a mechanic and he found it a ***** of a job :D but many people here seem to find it easier to get at them via the wheel arches.
Your temp reading is definitely too low it should be up to the half way point when at normal operating temp.
Hazarding a guess I would suspect your stat is sticking.
My lpg switches over when the needle is just touching the bottom of the C, and it will sometimes stall at junctions until the needle is past the quarter position. IIRC the switch over is at approx 45-50 degrees.
I can't be more precise on temps as the only time I have checked the water temp is when I fitted and set up an electric fan (in place of stock) to allow for a quicker warm up, which really helps in the winter months. The electric fan cuts in at 92 and cuts out at 88.
When at a junction and the temp is still low I use left foot on brakes and gently blip the throttle to prevent stalling, I deny all responsibility if you try this :)

thanks for reply, fitting a ford stat over the weekend along with plugs, even though temp not fully up lpg dont auto switch over from petrol, i have to do it manually, someone said the lpg ecu might of been erased due to disconecting battery, not me but previous owner might of done.:)

good luck with fitting the new parts I hope the plugs cure the misfire :)
If you still have misfire/stalling problem then cleaning the MAF sensor might help.
I'm not familiar with your lpg unit but I know mine retains the basic settings in a permanent memory even when the battery is disconnected. You should get yours checked out for why it don't switch over automatically.
I rechecked the temps on mine yesterday on a short 10 mile journey; lpg switches on at 49c and normal running temp is 89c.

fitted new plugs and stat but still no joy, still lumpy, tried unpluging maf and engine sounds the same on petrol and gas ie no engine tone difference. im also stuck on finding the lpg ecu, they have hidden it well lol,if the maf was broke it still wouldnt account for non auto switching, im thinking of getting the lead and software for the gas side if i can find the ecu, any ideas.:)

Does the engine rev up and down at idle when running on petrol with the engine cold? If so it will be the inlet manifold gaskets.

no engine idles fine on petrol from cold, i did check on gaskets and vac pipes etc by spraying carb cleaner when engine cold and warm and no tone change, i did find the vaporiser under battery tray and checked for leaks there aswell, is it ok to unscrew solinoid vavle to access filter, know it will let some liquid gas out but im assuming tank valve will be closed, thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

well just had a scare, got a new liquid side filter for solinoid on reducer, undid bolt and gush, expected a bit of residue but no, tried tightening bolt back up but no its escaping everywherem full tank or shall i say was a full tank, i thought solinoid shuts off gas so you can change filter, tried looking for valve on tank but couldnt see one, so looks like i need a new solenoid aswell. not a good day:thumbdwn:

does anyone know what bit i turn to cut gas off, still got leak on vaporiser solinoid but cant fit new seal untill gas switched off, thanks, ps pic is off tank.:thumbdwn:

Back