Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by jd4242, March 30, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92explorer&94 ranger
      As my luck goes...the rear end came up and bottomed out,smashing my feed line..i now how a leak and no extra line..fml

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      And, still no vehicle.
      Rear end came up and smashed the line?
      At least you found a weak spot. When you re-do, you can re-route.

Ah, the modification game. We are all insane.

• Like Like x 1
    4. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      As my luck goes...the rear end came up and bottomed out,smashing my feed line..i now how a leak and no extra line..fml
      Yea the pumpkin came up and the very corner smashed into the bed,just happened the line was there..its never done that before..yea gona reroute it for sure,atleast it was a short 2ft feed line going to my filter and not a 13ft line..

Ordered 3ft and should be here Tuesday. .i used every inch of the 30ft i ordered

5. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I know your plate is pretty full, and you really don't need to be re-doing things you just did.
      We can all relate.

• Like Like x 2
    6. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Well got my new line today,went to take off the ""reusable"" fitting and they definitely are not ""reusable ""..the inside ferrule was crushed. .i manage to get one around again but the second one would not..it ended up stripping the fitting out..i had no choice but to cross thread it and use it so its leaking..ive ordered new fitting from summit AGAIN. .

IM about fed up with summit. .FIRST i buy $300 worth of lines and fittings thats sold for gasoline but cant be used with gasoline. .so then have to replace ALL the lines and fittings that are sold as ""REUSABLE "" BUT cant be reused!!

Then the customer service guy was a straight asshole also and told me everything will fail..well why would i buy something if its GUARANTEE to fail..

Things are getting out of control for cost..between my 3 trucks i could have had a new Ferrari by now and sad part is I'm not even kidding :-(

7. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Claremore, OK
      94 Z71,
    8. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      Jegs isn't any better, I've had parts on backorder through them over 10 months before. Sucks though and this is why ebay crap is taking over.

• Like Like x 1
    9. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Just called Summit back and ask for a supervisor. He refunded me for the two fittings that was labeled as reusable. He also apologized about the fuel line that's labeled gasoline safe that can't be used for gasoline. He put in a manufacturer alert defect who were the rubber stainless steel lines,to be changed from "gasoline safe'' to ""gasoline safe,see PTFE lines"

Least he was little more helpful, i wanted to push the issue and see if he would refund me the $284 i just spent but figured i wouldn't push my luck..

• Like Like x 1
    10. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Ranger is officially parked till new motor is back together. .

As par with my luck the slave started leaking BADDD and the clutch no longer works:angryfire:

11. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Any idea why the slave cylinder is leaking? Was it new? Aftermarket?
      Which vehicle are you going to fix first, Ranger or Aviator?

12. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Its a older ford unit,its been slowly leaking for about a month..it finally just went all the way out,just pumps fluid right out it now..

The ranger is first up as i pretty much have all the parts.just need my parts back from Tom,flywheel bolts,a slave for the t5 and intercooler gaskets. .

The intercooler i have now uses a tranny cooler and has 3/8" lines and core is only 3/4" thick with a overall thickness of 1"..ive found a thicker one that matches but core is 3/4" thicker at 1.5" and uses 1/2"npt fittings,im going to make a 3/4" spacer on the water jet for the plates making it 1.75" thick overall,then will mill/drill where the larger hoses come out..

when i tried to stack 2- 1" plates it wouldnt clear even with my body lift,the 2 coolers stacked with gaskets came to be about 2.25,the thickest i could clear was 1.75"..

This should help drastically with flow and cooling..

Here is the plates..only have one of these now,i sold the second one as stacked together they didnt clear..its just two plates with a cooler in the middle..
      [​IMG]

Here is whats in between the plates now.
      [​IMG]

And here is the larger cooler i found..
      [​IMG]

Last edited: June 18, 2017
    13. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Cool stuff!
      Hope you get your parts back soon!

• Like Like x 1
    14. mr cribb

mr cribb US Army Retired Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Claremore, OK
      94 Z71,

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Just a little update.not much has happened, ive been super busy..

Tom did receive my parts and has a brand new set of plates to ship out but contacted me yesterday about the pushrods..apparently there has been 3 plate changes,i have one of the first ones..each change used different length pushrods.this newest plate uses the longest and he's waiting for a new shipment of rods to come in..Said ince they are in he will ship it back to me,should be this week..

Ive ordered that thicker cooler and some other parts..

Im having trouble finding OE flywheel bolts for the 8 bolt flywheel used on 97 and up 8 bolt crankshafts. .anyone have a source? ? All my current motors are 6 bolt but new crankshaft and flywheel use 8 bolts..

16. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      I'd assume 4.0 sohc flywheel bolts would be the same?

17. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I would think,pretty sure the stock flywheels fit either

18. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      @boominXplorer
      I have the part number and they say for both motors..i found one on ebay but says quantity of 1 and that part number should be for 8 bolts..im sending him a message. .

Part number
      F77Z6379AC

19. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      id post pictures but apparently i cant post them or they dont show up unless im a member and it just ended. .ill have to get my elite back here soon so i can post pictures of the motor assembly. .

But got my parts back from Tom..the plates are different. .they dont have his name and 4.0 water cut into them anymore and appear to be slightly thicker and narrower. .they do use a longer bolt that now goes through the plate,through a spacer and into the head..before he drilled and tapped a regular head bolt and used a bolt through the plate into the head bolt..
      The pushrods are longer as well.

I also ordered all my parts that i think ill need for the rebuild and all will be here sometime this week..i also had to order a different IC core as the one i linked to earlier was not measured by core size and the one i based and have is measured by core size..

I plan to start building the motor up this weekend and see what im missing, hopefully nothing and i can have it built in a day..then Sunday i plan to start pulling the supercharger off and possibly the trans out..would love to get the motor out also but im going at it alone with minimal help soo

So hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks ill have it completely swapped out and on the dyno for a tune adjust. .i dont plan to dyno it with Nitrous right now till the aviator is built and running again..just cant risk it blowing up and having no vehicle any longer....

Last edited: August 8, 2017
    20. 4pointslow

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Good luck on the build JD!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    21. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Yea, were all impatiently waiting

22. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Well got all the parts outa storage and to my garage. .unfortunately getting everything here and laid out was all i got done,but looks like i have everything i need..im pretty excited to get everything back together, some pretty nice parts

23. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Make sure you take lots of pics to upload later. A high end ohv build like this is crazy rare.

24. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I am..its crazy rare because you gota be stupid to put this kind of money into a OHV...it wasn't a big deal when i was single and had money to blow but mannn i regret it now...that 6-8k just spent on the motor only couldve went 3x as far in aviator. .i couldve made 1,000 hp in luxury, with the ac on and watching a dvd,daily driving it..then had money left.....

Sure my response/mind may change after that first drive though. ..hahaha

• Like Like x 3
    25. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      So got alot done today..its 90% assembled. .did however run into issues with Tom's stuff..

First the lower manifold hits the pushrods which we wasn't sure if the 1.7 would hit,we knew the 1.8 would..so it needs to have some clearance taken off..no big deal..

Next,even though he took my advice and has a long bolt going through the plate,through a spacer and into the head..the spacer is still to small..the gap is smaller than a ARP washer or any washer i had which i didnt want to stuff a washer in there anyways..so i took some measurements and going to cut my own spacers outa the metal i bought to make spacers. .the id is tighter on the bolt and the od is larger than the one Tom sent..i sent him a link a couple weeks ago where i got the material from but guess he either forgot or thought his spacer would work..

Other than that it all went together like as if it was made too,better after many years of planning. .lol

• Like Like x 3
    26. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      So couple updates..had spacers made but the machine shop messed them up,only one was the correct length. .i should've measured them when i picked them up but didnt,so going to go back by and make sure they are cut correctly this time..I only have enough material to make 4 more so they better get them correct this time..

Without the spacers i cant tq the head down and measure the pushrods which im really hoping they are correct, could be weeks if they need to be reordered!! besides that the motor is done and buttoned up..I primed it and it made good oil pressure. .

I got drunk friday night so was hung over all day Saturday (way too old to be drinking like i did) so nothing got done Saturday. .today my buddy @Xeek came over and helped me out..We got the trans and motor taken out,took way longer than it should have but being in a driveway and damn near 100* & 100% Humidity, work went slow..

Next weekend going to try and get the new motor and trans put in..ill have the new spacers by then and will measure for pushrods first..i also need to make a need clutch line,cut a hole in floor for the t5 shifter..

Last thing i need to mill and make a spacer for the new intercooler core..it looks like it will fit but is a inch wider than old core so some milling needs to happen. .its definitely going to help with temps and water flow though. .

• Like Like x 2