M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ooooo and i had my baby friday(6/3/16) at 5:05 ..he weighed 9 Lbs even and 20.75" long.named Westley Hunter ....wwwwooooohhhhooo

Congrat's JD!! Healthy boy you've got! Let the adventure begin....!!!!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well got my tires mounted and they fit..they definitely helped but they are a autocross tires so not really best for launches..they are about 1" taller so helped with rpms..they measure 25.5" and 12.5" wide

20160618_131838_zpsjgpodsva.jpg

20160618_131935_zps1rn6e4oc.jpg

20160618_143136_zpsbdekyry5.jpg

I put the old 295s on the front
20160618_133251_zpsnhqndfrg.jpg

They BARELY fit..
20160618_143435_zpsmzq9d8nv.jpg

20160618_143601_zps38q9o6bj.jpg

Great job on the math getting those tires to fit so perfectly. they look like a thing of beauty.

Great job on the math getting those tires to fit so perfectly. they look like a thing of beauty.
They definitely are snug but should clear up to a 14" wide,these 305/35/18 measure about 13"

20160618_132246_zpswur0imxo.jpg

Little update on tune,seems he added just a tad to much fuel for start up.starts perfect on first cold start but once the truck is warm it floods out and i have to press the pedal to the floor to kick the injectors off.once i do that it fires right up.

Haven't heard or had any detonation even when spraying.it was in the low 90*s here the other day and my IAT are pretty high at WOT (168*ish) i need to isolate that filter and get these headers wrapped..

I think im gonna take the chip back down and have him remove a TAD of fuel at start up and add another 3* bringing me to 21* @WOT

I can't believe he's doing such a great job of tuning blindly like he is. It's actually pretty impressive.

I can't believe he's doing such a great job of tuning blindly like he is. It's actually pretty impressive.
It ls the old dyno tune so he really is just adjusting it for E50.im sure if i got it back on the dyno again it probably would be a different story,tune probably is off more than we think..im waiting for new motor for that..

Those tires and rims are awesome, this truck has to be my favorite Ranger.
Cant wait to see how the engine brings more out of this truck.
How is the progress on the engine?

Those tires and rims are awesome, this truck has to be my favorite Ranger.
Cant wait to see how the engine brings more out of this truck.
How is the progress on the engine?
I still haven't heard back if the gaskets are done yet.honestly im in no rush now i have the baby and funds are very low.in 3 weeks ill have a pay check that i can blow and ill give him a call.trust me after that beating the other day,i cant wait for new motor!!

So was checking fluids and stuff today and decided to check my air psi...fronts were at 35psi,(which is what typically run) and the new rears were WAYY off..

I asked the guys to set it to 32psi and was glad i checked,driverside was at 38psi and passenger was at 41psi..WTF lowered it down to 32psi and it rides much better and feela like it launches much better..i may drop it to 28psi,i read these tires like lower pressure because of how stiff the side walls are..

Raced a new Camaro today also.beat him by about 3 off the line and then by about 3-4 from a 30mph roll..didnt even spray..i still have yet to race a newer 5.0 mustang but definitely wanting to..

Watch how the truck is parked, if one side is facing the sun it will get heated up and the pressure will be higher on that side.
I have been monitoring my air pressures at the track and you would be surprised how much it will increase after baking in the sunlight for a while.

Watch how the truck is parked, if one side is facing the sun it will get heated up and the pressure will be higher on that side.
I have been monitoring my air pressures at the track and you would be surprised how much it will increase after baking in the sunlight for a while.
I actually had just came back from a drive and was parked in the shade under a tree.i doubt the sun would be the cause they were so far off from what i asked it to be set for..maybe maybe why one was 38 and one 41 but not why they wernt 32

I will set mine to 32 and drive to the track, when I check them there they are at 35 again.
I thought I was crazy at first, so I checked them again and still 35. lol.
They were heating up from the ride there, and I had not realized how much that effected the pressure.
Now I set them at the track, and after one run I have to set them again. I make sure I always park facing the same way now too,
that way if the sun is beating down on one side it will stay that way and I wont have the pressures changing all day. I still check them before most runs.

Well almost died today..i was merging onto the highway and passing some cars to get over into the fast lane and hit a 18 wheelers tire tread that was laying in the lane like a chocolate covered doughnut. .i hit dead on with my passengers tires..as soon as i hit it it lifted the passengers side of my truck up into the air..i landed slightly sideways and fishtailed twice all wile doing 70mph. .

To say the least im happy i lived and definitely needed to change my underwear! !

I broke my newish front valance, chipped my BRAND NEW rear rim and dented my gas tank..i put it on the lift and you could see black marks all down the bottom side of my truck..lucky it didnt do more damage. .

20160629_110559_zpshx0liw5q.jpg

20160629_130332_zps1yel2egm.jpg

20160629_110700_zps84fzqy37.jpg

Damn! I hate that tire stuff being in the road. Sometimes I wish that those huge trucks had there own roads so we didn't have to be on the same ones with them.

It was scary to say the least.no way i could avoid it and chose last sec to hit it with my tires,it wouldnt have fit directly under the truck for sure..

Gaskets are done.hes cutting the groves today..he had to make a special mount to be able to put the block into the machine to cut them.it registers off the main bearings and apparently there is a huge difference in a V8 and a V6 block..lol

Hopefully next week it will be done FINALLY

Yes! Super horse power time!

What are the o rings made of that they put in there?

Yes! Super horse power time!

What are the o rings made of that they put in there?
Said steel wire,also said the gasket maker required a thicker gauge.i can get more details when its done.

ill post many pics when i do final assembly

Back