Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by jd4242, March 30, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited AWD
      Good work, that's a much better wrap of the belt. The TPS wouldn't cause the current rich mixture, even if it was off when tuned. The PCM tests for the TPS signal at each start, and sets idle baseline at the new value each time, zeroes it at that value each time. What matters is a smooth linear TPS signal.

How large is the fuel return line, and is the regulator capable of flowing the amount of flow going through it? The regulator is supposed to vary the pressure based on the vacuum/boost it sees. It sounds like it's not able to divert enough under boost, or increasing the pressure too much.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Its -6an and i wasnt having this issue with only the pressure regulator was swapped..wasnt till the tps went out and i swapped it,cleaned the maf and changed air filter..

4. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I wonder what the PCM is seeing, do you have a data log that may show all of those parameters? John or Dono may be able to check to see if it's in the tune part, or the hardware etc.

5. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Obd1...no data

6. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Oops forgot that. You have to do it on a dyno, the tune. Do you have a wide band that let's you monitor that O2 data, or record it at all? I know you don't want to go to a dyno every time you have some minor issue, we're trying to avoid that.

7. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I do but i dont have a way of recording it..this definitely is the down fall of obd1 and one of the main reasons i want to switch from SCT to quarter horse..good thing is i only have like 5 sensors so usually not hard to track down the problem once the tune is good,problem right now is this motor is running off a old tune that has been blindly adjusted to e85..

So now im stuggling to fix issuse and trying to figure out if i have more or if its the tune

8. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I think you've done the right things, the fuel supply was a big one that may be okay now. The E85 takes a lot more flow, more fuel for the same A/F at an rpm, so selecting the proper pump/FPR/lines is less common knowledge to figure out. The TPS is hard to know if that had an affect on the tune in it now, when it was made etc.

Most people with EECIV like the quarter horse a lot, they love it for ease of tune. I don't know how easy it is to learn it, but I think it's not a big deal. I know a member on the Corral who has done several Mustangs he owns, plus his sons, friends etc. He has more vehicles he has posted about than I can keep up with. I'd ask him if I was working with EECIV etc, his name is David Caflin, he's in FL, and on the SBFtech forum. He's got 302's and 306's with massive intakes and TB's, running smooth at all rpm's etc. He likes big heads, intakes, TB's on any SBF, I don't think he's done any boosted tuning, but he makes the stuff he does seem easy. I think I'd try to ask him or someone similar who knows the quarter horse well like that. They'd more quickly run through the possibilities of the symptoms you've had.

• Like Like x 1
    9. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      My tuner emailed back and seems to think ots in the tune..he said he was trying to compensate for the pressure drop and left it that way to be safe..he also said if the tps was off when he did the last tune that it would be all out of wack if its correct now..

So guess im going to do a engine running code test and double check EVERYTHING. .then if i cant find anything else ill take it to him on the 9th to try to dyno tune it again

10. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Very good, that sounds positive. Good plan by the tuner, better to have it too rich than too lean.

Same idea for me, I'm going to do a blower on a stock engine first, to work out the fuel system and everything outside of the engine.

• Like Like x 1
    11. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Yea i just dont get why it idle and cruise good..but i know nothing about tuning so who knows,guess ill find out though. .just would hate to get back on the dyno and something be wrong and cant tune again,he charges me $100 just to strap the truck down even if no tuning happens..

12. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      The truck absolutely will not start with the paperclip in to read codes..

Idk if im doing something wrong or what..i put the clip in and try to start it..doesnt sound difficult. .am i missing something? ?

13. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      So definitely think its in the tune..i have set idle with the iac unplugged,then adjusted tps to new tb blade position at idle,shecked maf,check O2s,checked temp sensor, checked crank sensor,changed plugs. ..

All look good but second i plug the IAC in it jumps to about 2000 then settles down to about 1300,with it unplugged and warm, i have idle set to 650...at idle or cruise(if you can get it to cruise without it wanting to stall from accelerating) it runs a perfect AF of 14-15...you sneezle on the throttle and it jumps to 11,any press on gas it jumps rich...

Soooo im lost and really hope its in the tune...

Also got my custom shift knob in that I've been waiting 8 weeks for..its pretty slick..
      20171104_130933.jpg 20171104_130925.jpg 20171104_130921.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    14. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Got my fan mounted and shift knob on..both turned out pretty good..fan actually pulls alot of air also,should definitely help keep things cool..

guess im done till the dyno Thursday. .my birthday is 11/11 so im praying my issues are in the tune and this thing runs right afterwards for my birthday

20171105_170648.jpg 20171105_170453.jpg 20171105_170256.jpg 20171105_170231.jpg 20171105_120525.jpg

• Like Like x 2

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gloucester City, NJ
      98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
      Nice work!
      I really like that shifter handle, good choice. I bet you can not wait to hit that button!

• Like Like x 1
    16. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent, I like that big heat exchanger, the fan etc, and those seats.

Where did the seats come from, they look like what I got from Summit a long time back, for my truck. Do you like their size to fit the truck, comfortable etc?

17. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      It is pretty big,the core is 12x12x2..it worked pretty well before i turned the boost up but definitely was getting heat soaked without the fan at new boost levels. .

The seats are cheap summit ones..they are alright, im 6'1" 250 lbs so they get uncomfortable but they keep my fat ass in place though. .lol

18. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Thanks, I like these seats as I've sat in them on the floor a few times. I was thinking of having them recovered if I like how they fit in the truck.

I'm glad you like that heat exchanger, and it helps me some to know what size is needed. I'm aiming for boost in the low teens, so something not a lot bigger than that should get me close. I hope there is room behind the bumper that will get enough air to do the job, maybe a big long unit will do.

19. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      I didnt want to go to a long one as you have to run a remote fill for it..this one should equal the same size as a long one also,typically a long one is 2'longx4"widex2"thick..if you divide mine into 4" wide pieces you would get 3'longx4"widex2"thick plus the tanks are larger and has a fill..thats why i went with this one and it fit perfectly between the core supports..

20. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Its not in the tune and doesn't appear to be any sensors. .guessing the ECM so ordered a new one...getting really frustrated now..im bleeding money and its gota stop..its getting outa controll..if this doesnt fix it, its gonna have to sit and the focus is gonna have to change to the aviator. .i cant keep dropping HUNDREDS every week..im another $1500 into this build since ive started putting it back together and thats no exaggeration...hell probably more.

Im almost to the point of parting it out..ITS GOTA STOP

Last edited: November 9, 2017
    21. Dono

Dono V8 Limited turbo and retired SC 4.0 OHV Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      I absolutely feel your pain.

This endless bleeding makes a monthly car payment look pretty inexpensive.
      I've been on the couch in fetal position (No thumb sucking, but close) many times feeling just like you are right now.

Can you maybe point one of those temperature guns on each header exhaust port at the head and see if one exhaust port exit isn't as hot as it should be?

You were soooo close.

22. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      You know i felt your pain when you was going through it also because i had before also..the problem is now I've pushed the envelope and thought i was past the little bs problems but some reasons there is more now than ever..

I took this on as a single guy and over a bet..now im struggling to pay bills and feed my family. .I've been having to use Uber (taxi) for many weeks/months and my girl has been having to pick up both boys..the stress on me and my family has been too much lately. .something has to give

23. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Any way you can monitor fuel pressure from inside the cabin to see what happens when the mixture goes so rich?
      This issue seemed to start when you changed fuel pumps. etc.

Sorry for throwing crap out there, but something might just give you an idea of something to try.

24. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      There is nore going on,it started when i cleaned the maf and changed the tps..think the ecm just crapped out..

Its idling high and running rich when hitting gas..we were messing with it today changing tunes and all of a sudden the idle was good and everything was good...we went to add fuel and did a pull,it was looking good but all of a sudden the idle jumped high and went rich..we changed it back and still rich..

It has something to do with whenever it idles high we can't tune it..only when it idles good does it accept tunes...but problem it doesnt idle good 99%time..something is shorting out..pretty sure something in the ecm is loose

Last edited: November 9, 2017
    25. Dono

City, State:
      Winnipeg, Manitoba
      00 Limited V8
      Your getting there, for sure. You have it narrowed down to the ecm, connector, or wiring.
      I only hope you can hang in there. Mentally and financially.

Were you able to test the sensors at the ecm connector while plugged in and truck idling high? If not, lets hope the new ecm just works.

I cant think of any plausible reason the ecm wouldn't accept tunes if it has power and ground, other than something shorting out (either 12v being shorted to ground, or signal voltage on a pin shorting to 12v that should never reach 12v.

Hang in there JD.

• Like Like x 1
    26. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Yes, take it easy and get away from it for a while, just a break to get back to calm/even etc. I'm a VOL and we're living with bad football and everyone wants to lynch the coaches.