Magnaflow down pipes 23311 and 23312 for the 5.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Magnaflow down pipes 23311 and 23312 for the 5.0L

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Who all has these? I ordered some and quite honestly I'm disappointed, especially with how much they cost. They look like they're as bad a design as the stock pipes maybe worse (with the bottle neck up near the manifolds especially the passenger side).

I'm wondering if these are not in fact Magnaflow pipes because they are not marked anywhere short of the part number stamped on the cats, which makes me think someone bought Magnaflow cats and bent their own pipe. They do not look like the pictures online as far as the flanges go but that could just be a generic picture originally made for the pipes and maybe they had slight changes over time, so I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Here is the crappy way the flanges are welded on. One side is too small and the other is too large creating turbulence on one side and and a bottle neck on the other. For you guys that have these, is this what yours looked like also?

1217171352.jpg
1222171536.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You put these on your 5.0?

You put these on your 5.0?
I was going to. But with how they look I'm tempted to keep my stock pipes. I was hoping to get rid of the nasty bottle neck on the passenger side pipe from the factory. I already have torque monster headers and the rest of my exhaust has really seen better days. I have more welds and patch plates on my stock converters than actual pipe. Thanks NJ winters Haha

Those do look poorly made, like most muffler shops would build. If you can, get your money back, and find a shop that can work with mandrel bends. Having a shop make them would be cheaper than pre-made cat pipes, and universal cats run under $100 each, I've got one 3" version in my Amazon list, for about $80.

I guess the main concern is if these are in fact magnaflow pipes. I could probably replace the upper flanges to fix this if need be, but I just want to be sure i didnt pay for magnaflow and not get magnaflow.

How they make things changes every so often. I had a set of their cat pipes for my first Lincoln, which were 2.5" cat pipes. They were one pipe there at the front, formed nicely to the ball shape. They were also coated when new, kind of a pale white color. Those you pictured above are raw steel exhaust pipe, like a muffler shop would build with.

I wrecked that car, but saved the main pieces of the cat pipes(which were maybe three months old).

How they make things changes every so often. I had a set of their cat pipes for my first Lincoln, which were 2.5" cat pipes. They were one pipe there at the front, formed nicely to the ball shape. They were also coated when new, kind of a pale white color. Those you pictured above are raw steel exhaust pipe, like a muffler shop would build with.

I wrecked that car, but saved the main pieces of the cat pipes(which were maybe three months old).

Exactly what I'm thinking. These are screaming impostor. So I want to see if someone had the magnaflows that could confirm

I have them on my ranger. I can't say I'm very pleased with them. Mine are covered with surface rust after 4 years and 20k hard miles.

20131012_101137.jpg

I have them on my ranger. I can't say I'm very pleased with them. Mine are covered with surface rust after 4 years and 20k hard miles.

View attachment 153259

Those are magnaflow.

Fwiw to have a pair of mandrel header pipes built would cost quite a bit more than these.

Those are magnaflow.

Fwiw to have a pair of mandrel header pipes built would cost quite a bit more than these.

Yes and very true. The pair cost me about $350. Most exhaust shops wouldn't build anything better for less than $350 labor plus parts.

Here's another one from when I did the swap about 4 years ago

20140418_123419.jpg

Very interesting. Well my flanges look different, but the way the pipes are welded seem to be just as bad as what I can see from your pictures. Seems like I do in fact have the magnaflow pipes. At least from what I can see from the pics just posted. Kind of disappointing as it would have been very easy to just get the right size pipes.

Honestly this isn't the first time I've been dissapointed by Magnaflow. This may be the last magnaflow product I buy.

I have them on my V8 sport and im happy with them , not sure why but mine look different and other than turning a dark have held up well, are those stock size or 2.5 like mine?

They have to be stock size. 2.5" would kill low end torque on any 5.0L.

My whole exhaust is 2.5 magnaflow , like i said mine looks different , butt welded not overlapped , smooth bends , fits very well , not sure what you guys ended up with

My whole exhaust is 2.5 magnaflow , like i said mine looks different , butt welded not overlapped , smooth bends , fits very well , not sure what you guys ended up with

Do you have the part numbers you ordered? 2.5" is probably a different part number.

Yeah these part numbers are 2.25 pipes. I'm pretty sure mine are near Identical to yours. Mine looked good till I got mud baked on there 20x and pressure washed the underside about 10x. No like rusty flakes but the pipes are kinda ugly now. I also have the magnaflow rear cats which was I plan on taking off soon. I wanted to keep some velocity in the exhaust when my motor was stock so I used all 4 cats and straight through SLP mufflers. Soon I'm probably going to go 2.5 from manifolds back whenever I get some free time and just do 1 cat per side since I've done the cam swap.

20160912_193708.jpg

@boominXplorer do you have the part numbers for the website or to look online? they even still make those?

@boominXplorer do you have the part numbers for the website or to look online? they even still make those?

I used the same ones the OP has, part numbers are in the title. They are for a 96-98 v8 only because the rear flages are different from 99-01. They are branded magnaflow but they are considered direct replacements so they arnt necessarily a performance part. They do have mandrel bends which are better than all other brand aftermarket direct fit assemblies. I think if the OP did a little Dremel work they'd be the best you can buy out the box. As you can see in my one pic I compare a stock assembly with the magnaflow and the magnaflow looks superior for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine are the whole pipe from manifold to muffler also with all four cats , although my cats are empty , thats why i thought they look so different , ill try to find the part number here shortly

Back