• Register Today It's free!

Magnaflow exhaust

diganutz

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
I put a magnaflow full cat back on the 2013 explorer on Saturday, it was so loud and droned very bad, I removed it same day. Anyone else had similar problems with after market exhausts. I checked the system for leaks and I couldn't find anything more then a super small leak prior to the resonator. Could a very small leak cause this problem? The resonator on the after market system is about 1/2 the length. I couldn't hear any noise at the point of the leak even with the engine at mid rpm.

i called magnaflow and the place i bought (JBSpowercenter.com), as of right now I'm SOL, and stuck with the exhaust, no return on Installed parts. system has 10 km on it... i have a letter in the JBS to see if they can help me out, no luck so far.

Anyways factory exhaust is back on the truck. Unless anyone as some suggestions... I don't really want to sink more money into this sinking ship, I'm willing to put it back on and try stuff, but I don't want to switch resonators or anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although we have quite different motors as of right now I have had several vehicles in the past with 3.5l V6's in them and through all the searching and years of driving I have done I always stick with JonesExhaust Full Boar mufflers. Sound great on most 6 and 8 cylinder cars and trucks. My guess is you have never done this kind of thing before and didn't realize how loud it would really be? Aftermarket mufflers are just that... aftermarket. They tend to be louder and drone more than stock systems. Loud is good quiet is boring and bad.:salute:

I had a Cat back on my 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5L V6, with magnaflow mufflers. So I thought I had an understanding of the volume change. With the SUV Body, the drone must just be that much more present.

I love how the exhaust sounds outside the truck, just too loud inside.

I also had the altima when I was 26, I'm now 34, so maybe my tastes have just shifted, with out telling my brain...

Anyway if you want a mangaflow exhaust, I'll sell mine for 600 bucks or best offer. I have pictures of the unit, it was on the truck for about 6 hours (say 6 miles on it) I'd perfer to sell it to someone in Ontario. But let me know otherwise.

Although we have quite different motors as of right now I have had several vehicles in the past with 3.5l V6's in them and through all the searching and years of driving I have done I always stick with JonesExhaust Full Boar mufflers. Sound great on most 6 and 8 cylinder cars and trucks. My guess is you have never done this kind of thing before and didn't realize how loud it would really be? Aftermarket mufflers are just that... aftermarket. They tend to be louder and drone more than stock systems. Loud is good quiet is boring and bad.:salute:

Guys, how long did it take the drone to fade on your SUV's?

I'm sure I'd get use to it, but it's my wife's daily driver, so I'm not so sure.

I was replacing the exhaust, because I did some damage to the OEM one on a rock while putting the boat in the lake. I didn't want to spend 1100 bucks for the OEM one from the dealer. Once I had the OEM exhaust off the truck, I was able to get it back into decent shape. So it's back on and working fine now.

So it was purchased as a replacement, not a performance upgrade, maybe my expectations were in the wrong spot.

Guys, how long did it take the drone to fade on your SUV's?

I'm sure I'd get use to it, but it's my wife's daily driver, so I'm not so sure.

I was replacing the exhaust, because I did some damage to the OEM one on a rock while putting the boat in the lake. I didn't want to spend 1100 bucks for the OEM one from the dealer. Once I had the OEM exhaust off the truck, I was able to get it back into decent shape. So it's back on and working fine now.

So it was purchased as a replacement, not a performance upgrade, maybe my expectations were in the wrong spot.

It took a month or two and now the drone is minimal. I was considering switching back to the old exhaust, but by the time that came under consideration, the drone had all but disappeared.

It took a month or two and now the drone is minimal. I was considering switching back to the old exhaust, but by the time that came under consideration, the drone had all but disappeared.

Same here, now I cant imagine driving my EX without it.

I spoke with someone who did development work on the exhaust system of the Ex. Dealing with drone was a complicated and time consuming process, and I seem to recall him saying something about them having trouble with drone at around 1800-2000 rpm. The conversation was a long time ago...

Adding some growl would be fun. Can someone who has had their system installed for a while post some in-car and exterior audio samples? :)

Exhaust

We'll mine has about 10 km on it before I took it off the truck. It's all packed up in it's box. if you want it, let me know. If I can get 300 bucks for it, it's better then it taking up room in my garage.

Sorry it didn't work out. That's a disappointment, for sure. Was there anything in particular that caused you to remove it?

Thanks,
Randy

We were not looking for a louder aftermarket exhaust, just wanted a cheaper OEM replacement. By bad for thinking my wife would like the "louder" cheaper exhaust. if I wasn't able to fix the OEM one, I would have left it on. But I was able to fix the oem one. So we went back to it.

Wow! I had the Magnaflow installed when I had about 600 miles on my 13 Explorer Sport. I now have almost 3000mi and I hate it. I have always used Borla or Corsa Exhaust in the past. Never any problems with a droning with those exhausts. Only Magnaflow and SW had a exhaust for the Sport so I chose Magnaflow. Hopefully Borla or Corsa will release an exhaust so I can change.
I had it installed at Livernois Motorsports (great guys) along with buying and having them install a CAI, dyno with tune, colder plugs, and 170 deg thermostat. They tried installing the downpipes made for the SHO but would not fit due to the extra bracing installed by Ford on the Sport. They have the downpipes in development.

I put a magnaflow full cat back on the 2013 explorer on Saturday, it was so loud and droned very bad, I removed it same day. Anyone else had similar problems with after market exhausts. I checked the system for leaks and I couldn't find anything more then a super small leak prior to the resonator. Could a very small leak cause this problem? The resonator on the after market system is about 1/2 the length. I couldn't hear any noise at the point of the leak even with the engine at mid rpm.

i called magnaflow and the place i bought (JBSpowercenter.com), as of right now I'm SOL, and stuck with the exhaust, no return on Installed parts. system has 10 km on it... i have a letter in the JBS to see if they can help me out, no luck so far.

Anyways factory exhaust is back on the truck. Unless anyone as some suggestions... I don't really want to sink more money into this sinking ship, I'm willing to put it back on and try stuff, but I don't want to switch resonators or anything.

I tried playing with lot's of exhaust on the three diesel excursions I had and the last Audi Q5...

One of the issues with an SUV is the cabin volume that tends to resonate any exhaust noise as it's all open...

With the Excursions I did a full turboback exhaust on the 03 and loved it, no drone whatsoever, on the 02 and 05 Ex's I did just a Walker BTM which replaced the most restrictive part of the system the 100 lb muffler :) and sounded great once burned in...
(I did try straight piping on the 03 for ONE trip from DFW to Memphis and we were think we all lost hearing from the drone !)

While exhaust work on big v8's are relatively easy, the 4 and 6 cylinder work can easily lead to sounding like a BAD JOB on a 4 or 6 cylinder :)

So on the Audi I had 4 or 5 attempts with my exhaust guy to get it right... that little thing had 4 'silencers' as they call them - after all the work I ended up with putting back the front two stock mufflers and having two magnaflows in the rear, that was the best mix of growl and no drone without spending $1000 to $1500 on a Miltek, AWE, etc system....

One of you will have to be the guinea pig and post good sound files before I get in trouble with the daily driver wife's Sport :)

I have driven a v6 with full custom exhaust for years now and I'll tell you, they drone and are raspy as a whole. If you leave the stock resonator you'll cut the drone down quite a bit but it's still going to be annoying.

I drive a 2003 Pontiac Grand Pix GTP which is a supercharged 3.8 V6. It has a good bit of work done to it with headers, down pipe, 3" exhaust that steps down to dual 2.5"s. 1 Resonator (forget the brand) and 2 x borla mufflers.

Having driven this setup for years, I'll be leaving my exhaust stock and enjoying the peace and quiet. I'd much rather hear intake/turbo noise then the loud drone of a v6.

Exhaust (cold start up)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wGDZE_WZFE

Passing speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5JhQNf0-IA

High speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsdxzwT1jE

As you can hear, there is a lot of s/c whine when on it, but hard to really capture the bassy drone while at crusing speeds due to the range of the cameras mic.

Got this response from CORSA a couple days ago about a true bolt-on system, I know they make a direct bolt-on for the SHO.

"On behalf of CORSA Performance Exhaust, we want to thank you for your interest and inquiry in our product. That being said, we do not currently have a system for this vehicle. The eco-boost engine is something we are doing more with though, so should something come along I will definitely reach out and let you know. I have added you to my database, so stay tuned for a possible system. If you have any other questions or anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know."

Thanks,
Timothy J. Mansell
Business Development Representative
Corsa Performance Exhaust
A TMG Performance Products Company
P: (440)274-5083
F: (440) 891-1868
tmansell@corsaperf.com
www.corsaperformance.com

CORSA Performance Exhausts
Contact Us Form
Today's Date:
04/11/13

any bolt-on system for the explorer sport 3.5l ecoboost?

I learned my lesson on drone with our 2011 Mustang Vert....Never again, after three trys and three different exhaust systems.....unless its reasoable, and says Borla. I'm leaving the 2013 Explorer alone, at least for now......best regards Plum

Ryan,
that's SC whine is intoxicating !!!

had a lightning a few years back with a pulley swap that was fun to just listen to :)

PB, we had a borla system on an early lincoln ls that was just perfect !

expensive, but perfect, in fact, after posting a soundclip of that little v8 going thru the gears and my lease was running out they had a bidding war on the ls forum to buy it and give me their stock system ... actually sold it for $750 after 3 years of use :)

Back