• Register Today It's free!

Making your cup holder smaller

littlebro294

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
So i have a 1994 ford explorer sport and i got a coffee cup that the base of it is fairly small, ive been thinking of ways that i might be able to make an insert to put in there since i almost always have my coffee cup in there. I've been using a piece of cardboard to keep it in place but after a little while of driving it tends to move around and not become a tight fit anymore. I've been thinking about taking a block of wood and drilling out the center to make my coffee cup fit then rounding the outside edges and making it look like it was actually made for the truck but i havent found any places around me that sell that small of blocks of wood. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Goto a housing construction, or demolition, site and dumpster dive for a small piece.

Lumber yards usually have a bin of misc small pieces from customer in-store cuts for sale, or for free.

haha ok, i was actually thinking about the first option but its been raining here in cali so havent had much of a chance to get out in the open. I'll post a picture if i figure something out and get it put together.

The cardboard piece i have works like a coozie but i want wood because i can make it the shape of my cup holder, theres a post of a guy who made one to fit a radio, thats where i got the idea

I've had this same issue on my 2nd gen, travel mugs were all over the place.

You should use weather stripping, its usually under $5 at a local hardware store, assuming there's none already in ur garage. I had some black tubular rubber/foam stuff lying around that fixed the problem with a couple vertical pieces. It'll basically act like the rubber ones u see nowadays and grip the cup better.

Back