How to: - Manual Control for '95 -'96 Vacuum Disconnect Front Axles | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Manual Control for '95 -'96 Vacuum Disconnect Front Axles

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

think this is one of the best write ups i have read on here i am hoping it will let me get the 4wheel to work again on a friends truck

Whats the difference between a 96 Explorer 4x4 and 96 AWD front end? Did they just remove the vacuum disco or what?

I have never thought about this, so Ijsut dont know. I did not see any vacuum lines going to the frame however.

Is my front IFS different? because I want to convert to selectable 4x4 and I would really like to get true 2wd without the front turning...

Jaime,
I never knew there was a difference between the two but I've never really looked into it either. It should be pretty obvious if you have the vacuum disco axle, you'll be able to see the actuator on the back side of the axle tube near the passenger side suspension (it even comes with it's own little skid plate!). Perhaps the AWD version came with the "non-disco" axle that's in '97+ Ex's. If you could post a pic, I'll take a look.

Dave.

I will look into this :)

I am going to be doing a 4406 transfer case conversion and will be needing a compuer out of a 96 x but I nned to figure out how to fool the gem into think the vac disconnect is working, does anyone know how I could do this. I do not have vac disconect but will be getting the wiring

pgdsm said:
I am going to be doing a 4406 transfer case conversion and will be needing a compuer out of a 96 x but I nned to figure out how to fool the gem into think the vac disconnect is working, does anyone know how I could do this. I do not have vac disconect but will be getting the wiring

which computer are you talking about? i might have what you need

The black GEM behin the radio. I found out all that I can get around here is a 99 or a 96. (which I can get for free) and apparantly I need a 97. I picked up the 99 am am going to see if it works at all, or I may just have to figure out how to fool the GEM into thinking that the vac disconnect is doing what its supoosed to be.

This thread was extremely helpful today! Thank you so much for figuring this out!

I swapped to a manual t-case, and this has made it so I can get a locker in as well.

Why isn't this a sticky?:dunno:

Got my 1354m installed and did the wiring as described in this thread and it works great. This should be a sticky!!

Hi

I did it and work perfect.
It's very nice to have 2WD Low.
And 4WD High with manual engage for front.

Thanks

got the harness from another Ex and the Brown wire you tape of or shrink wrap. No Problem. The Blue/Yellow is one side and the Green/Pink wire is other side andPurple/Orange wire is Power. Got it! :) So should I ground the Black by the Pack and ground it in the cab by the switch? Just want to make sure. I have the wires already soldered and shrink wrapped and now I am running them from Engine compartment to Driver compartment. Thanks in advance.

Back