Manual ECM 4.0 Swap into Auto '89 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual ECM 4.0 Swap into Auto '89

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4x4
My 2.9 has seen better days and with no oil pressure it is time to swap it out. I have a source for a 96-98 Ranger OHV 4.0 (We aren't too sure on the year but it has a plastic intake) and computer but it was a stick donor.

Will my stock auto have any issues with this computer? Codes and lights don't matter a bit to me but it needs to be able to shift and lock the torque converter when needed. I searched everywhere but found no real definite answer.

If I still don't get an answer I can always try it and find a new ECM if need be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know your motor won't like it. The 4.0 is distributorless, the 2.9 isn't.

The 2.9 is going by-by in favor of the 4.0 the issue I'm having is with the transmission.

Oh, that's good. DiscipleRocks on Bronco II Corral and other Bronco II boards did a similar swap. IIRC he had a check engine light on.

I have a 94 ECM out of an automatic Explorer I need to get rid of.

Would it work with a '98 engine? Price? Are there any sensors different or anything? I'm not up on my swap knowledge at the moment.

As far as I know you should be fine. $40 for the computer? Find out if you need it. I don't think its going any where soon.

Back