manual gearbox | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual gearbox

disco_monkey79

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger
Hi All,

Great looking site. Seems a very friendly place.

I have a query I'm hoping you can assist with.

I've only ever seen auto Explorers in the UK - are/were there any manuals, or autos only?

The reason I ask is because i'm after a M50D 4WD gearbox with the 4.0 SOHC bellhousing. Is there a source of these in the UK?

Many thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorers sold in the UK were all automatics, manual was not an option. You might be lucky and find an import but the chances are low. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply.

I guessed that they must all have been autos, but figured it was worth asking on the off-chance!

Thanks again

might be worth checking out mustang forums as some of those came with the sohc engine and may have had manuals

Nor did I until I sold a spare engine I'd rebuilt to a mustang guy that had blown his up!
The guys in the US are now sourcing their engines for their explorers from mustangs as they are newer and lower miles.

The other option is the Landrover discovery that used the same engine in certain models but again not sure on the gearbox options

Back