manual hub r&r question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual hub r&r question

Hanzo is absolutely right. That is what I have on my B2 build thread. Check it out.
The picture that I posted here are the Jeep hubs. Direct bolt on. They really are a beefier hub. I had both the stock ford hubs and the Jeep hubs in my hands. What a difference.
I think their actually for Jeeps rear 8.8 floating rear. But whatever get those.

Keep us poste. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's my hubs...i beleive it's the one on the drivers side as when i spin the wheel, i now have a brake hanging i think and i do have something getting out onto the wheel...
as for my project X i have been working on that with all my free time and now that the tranny is in i have to start diagnosing the 4x4 button that won't stay engaged...
btw, how do you check the wheel spin without jacking the wheels up???

...btw, how do you check the wheel spin without jacking the wheels up???

Easy..

1) Put T-case in 4x2 (so Front Driveshaft is disconnected from T-case)
2) Unlock Hub: Crawl under truck and rotate the axle. The axle should free spin in either direction since the axle shaft is not connected to the wheel.
4) Lock the HUB: Crawl under truck and "try" rotating the axle. I say try as it should not spin as the axle is now connected to the wheel. With the wheel on the ground it would take hulk arm strength to cause the wheel to move (ie mini burn out). If the axle shaft still moves it indicates the hub is unlocked or broken.

lmao, strong but no hulkster here...yea, i have a bad hub...it's been 2 1/2 days and in that time i found a tranny shop to do my Project X, actually got my a4ld done for less than 900 and home and test drove...sold a motor to help pay for it....check out my hub problem and found a leakage on my front left wheel, rounded up some misc. parts for sale and posted them and i've been working on 2 different jobs a day and going to meetings...i'm doing my best to keep you posted and i greatly appreciate all the help...
hanzo and rookieshooter, thanks for the heads up on the jeep part...i'll look into it and i'll try to find a part number...when i purchase the new ones i'll probably use those...
btw, i talked to the guy i bought the truck from yesterday and he said they had replaced one of the original hubs only since the truck was new...thanks

The part number for those jeep hubs is right there in the link, 37780.

thanks rangerX, i might be down your way this weekend picking up parts and then to the grapevine for more...

Stop in and say Hi. :D

i'll let you know when i'm heading that way :D

ranger X, it won't be this weekend...to much to do...

update...the verdict: pulled the tire and the front left hub is shot....the plastic splines on the hub ar chewed right thru the center...real easy to see...then, i just also developed a leak on the left axle and it wobbles too...that will be fixed monday or tuesday and we will verify the right side as well....so i got 2 4x4's with only 4x2 so wheeling is out this weekend,lol...

heres a couple pics for you....what is wrong with this picture????
hubs001ze5.jpg

this one should give you a better clue.....
hubs002ny8.jpg

So all is good, did you test it to make sure everything works now.

Off topic,

I was thining about what you said about your brakes heating up. I bet its from the off camber, one side of the rotors getting alot of pressure on them.

you thought i was joking huh??? look inside that hub, nothing....lmao....thank you very much mike...i put the hub on the left side and manualy tried it locked and then tried with the right side locked...looks like it works...if i had the time and money i would run up to azusa but i think i'm going to check out the X and try to watch a nascar race at the same time...again, thanks and i might even let you drive the project X for your help, lol...

you thought i was joking huh??? look inside that hub, nothing....lmao....thank you very much mike...i put the hub on the left side and manualy tried it locked and then tried with the right side locked...looks like it works...if i had the time and money i would run up to azusa but i think i'm going to check out the X and try to watch a nascar race at the same time...again, thanks and i might even let you drive the project X for your help, lol...

Glad it worked out, and I'll take you up on that drive;)

btw, nascar blows watch the Formula One race!

this is my hub and below my hub is on the right...i went wheeling before i had my tires swapped on my wheels and then i went to the sand dunes to go wheeling and i had no 4x4...when i got home and took the hubs off my left front hub had been swapped with an empty hub...the turn knob was on it and it moved like normal....with nothing on the inside you would never know the difference until you went wheeling and locked up...i was already in sand but it was when i just dropped for no reason and was still moving when i knew something was up...i must say i was surprised to find a totally empty hub...

heres a couple pics for you....what is wrong with this picture????
hubs001ze5.jpg

this one should give you a better clue.....
hubs002ny8.jpg

I'm wondering if the snap ring inside came off or something and they didn't know how to put it back together so some newbie mechanic just threw it back on there without the gear. I'd go back to the mechanic and talk to them, the piece may be sitting in the mechanics tool box.

Is the inside of the hub damaged from the shaft?

i thought about that and besides it being over a month ago, you know nobody will know anything...as for damage inside, the housing has some marks in the middle but i can't even verify if that is even my hub or a swapped hub from the shop that left me with it...i do know there is no damage showing on the outside of the hub nor does it look like something came apart inside...

...The picture that I posted here are the Jeep hubs. Direct bolt on. They really are a beefier hub. I had both the stock ford hubs and the Jeep hubs in my hands. What a difference.
I think their actually for Jeeps rear 8.8 floating rear. But whatever get those.

The part number for those jeep hubs is right there in the link, 37780.

I was pondering the Stronger Jeep hub thing and came to the conclusion they could cause U-Joint failure. We all know the HUBs are the week link in the drivetrain. They function as a fuse to protect the axle shafts and other drive train components from being overstressed. As such if you run Stronger HUBS you will risk the chance of U-joint failure. On a scale of 1 to 10 replacing a hub is a 1 while replacing U-joints or even swapping in a trail ready spare is a 10.

And with Warn the warranty is great so replacement should be great in either case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

kind of my thoughts too...i would much rather replace a hub on trail than anything else :D

now here's a quick question for ya, can i swap hubs back and forth between my 91 X and 95 ranger????....the reason i ask is which ever one needs hubs next will get the new hubs....the good hub left over becomes a trail spare and so on...

Back