Manual transmission issue. It's very difficult shifting into gears. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual transmission issue. It's very difficult shifting into gears.

Shifty Shifting Resolution!

Greetings! Ok they fixed my truck after ten days in the shop. As it turns out the slave cylinder was the culprit! Dammit! It just wasn't working properly albeit it was not leaking and did not show any malfunction signs. Everything else was checked again and replaced under warranty except for the slave cylinder which turned out to be the bad guy. Now it shifts so smooth I could just ummmm well you know :D

beers to you!
Will

Greetings, I have exactly the same issues even with a new clutch just installed and the internals check out. It's a beast to get into gear when it doesn't want to go; warmed up. The transmission guys said everything looks good, gears and all. And there was no evidence of fluid leaks. I'm wondering if maybe it's something in the shift linkage that hangs up, otherwise I've not a clue. This is my biggest complaint with my otherwise reliable lil buddy. Any ideas? I'm having it rechecked next week. And if a solution comes forth then for just $19.95 and a free Turnip Twaddler, no make that two Turnip Twaddlers, plus free shipping I'll send you the solution.
enjoy the weekend,
Will

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do own a FE 1997 4WD 4.0lt. I noticed that whenever the car gets hot it will be very difficult to shift it into gears.

Hahnsb2 and you other slave cylinder lemmings need think of something new or go somewhere else with your bad advice. I guess any idiot can make a post. I have the very same issues as Expl0ring and just replaced the slave and master and the problem hasn't gone away! Yes i put fluid in it and bled it. It still is a bear to ocassionally get into gear. 94 Bronco 5 speed.

well now i am joining the "difficult to be shifting" with the 5 speed manual transmission in my wife's 1998 4.0 explorer sport..".syncro's whirring up the rpm cause the input shaft is still spinning" shifting issue.
My solution was to weld two tire irons together and weld those to the shifter handle and install a sunroof so my wife has the leverage she needs to shift. I added that giant chrome skull to the top so it appears to be an aesthetics choice rather than a "make shift " (pun intended) repair .
but seriously, im gonnna get after this thing and see if it is the slave or if i can bleed it, or in any other way get around the full job, as if i pull the tranny it gets a clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing, input shaft, flywheel resurface etc.
First thing i am going to do is change the tranny oil though, just because i have been meaning to do that and hope it helps the syncro's out if i have too drive it a few times before i actually resolve it.

Any other suggestions or tips or fix's anyone has encountered would be appreciated. This just started in the last few days, though i always thought it was a "bit" difficult to shift since we we owned it ( we bought it used)
Craig

well now i am joining the "difficult to be shifting" with the 5 speed manual transmission in my wife's 1998 4.0 explorer sport..".syncro's whirring up the rpm cause the input shaft is still spinning" shifting issue.
My solution was to weld two tire irons together and weld those to the shifter handle and install a sunroof so my wife has the leverage she needs to shift. I added that giant chrome skull to the top so it appears to be an aesthetics choice rather than a "make shift " (pun intended) repair .
but seriously, im gonnna get after this thing and see if it is the slave or if i can bleed it, or in any other way get around the full job, as if i pull the tranny it gets a clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing, input shaft, flywheel resurface etc.
First thing i am going to do is change the tranny oil though, just because i have been meaning to do that and hope it helps the syncro's out if i have too drive it a few times before i actually resolve it.

Any other suggestions or tips or fix's anyone has encountered would be appreciated. This just started in the last few days, though i always thought it was a "bit" difficult to shift since we we owned it ( we bought it used)
Craig

Did you ever figure out what the issue is?

I just got back from like a 10 minute trip and wow... it is absolutely TERRIBLE now.. idk what changed from the other day.. but now i have to about BREAK my wrist off to get it into first.. and then once im moving its not as bad.. but i still have to pull or push extremely hard to get into any gear... also my check engine light has been on since the vehicle was brand new and the coolant temp gauge hasent worked.. and now the light is off, and the temp gauge is working... but shifting is horrible now..

wtf is going on??
Try changing out your trans fluid it helped my ranger shift way better I was having the same problems as you I know my clutch ia going but the gear switch shouldn't be that hard when I changes my fluid every gear went in with ease from tike to time its sliggtly hard but over all way better

I just got back from like a 10 minute trip and wow... it is absolutely TERRIBLE now.. idk what changed from the other day.. but now i have to about BREAK my wrist off to get it into first.. and then once im moving its not as bad.. but i still have to pull or push extremely hard to get into any gear... also my check engine light has been on since the vehicle was brand new and the coolant temp gauge hasent worked.. and now the light is off, and the temp gauge is working... but shifting is horrible now..

wtf is going on??
Try changing out your trans fluid it helped my ranger shift way better I was having the same problems as you I know my clutch ia going but the gear switch shouldn't be that hard when I changes my fluid every gear went in with ease from tike to time its sliggtly hard but over all way better

I have the same issue. It wont go into any gear 99 ranger replace slave tried two different master slaves. new clutch pressure plate didnt replace pilot bearing couldnt get it out with grease method but stuck finger in there moves fine. Fly wheel has a few color marks but atill seemed ok . New throw out bearing comes in the slave cylinder. Gravity bled bench bled an did the pump method. When its off it goes in all gears. Can start it in first or second. Ive got the transmission dropped for the second time just to double check everything an it looks like my new clutch hasnt even touched the fly wheel. Im ready to pull my hair out. Help please

Check your clutch pedal pivot point. I have heard that the clutch/brake pedal bracket wears out and causes all kinds of crazy problems from not starting to hard shifts.

check input shaft into trans if it is worn from the clutch it won't release the way it should all the time.
roscoe
ps the clutch can't move if the shaft is worn where the disc rides

Back