• Register Today It's free!

MAP vs MAF

nhmtrhd

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0

I drive a '97 X 5.0 with a MAP. I have a '98 5.0 parts X with a MAF.
How hard is it to change my '97 to a MAF ?
It looks like the wiring colors are the same, but of course the plug ends are different. That's a minor problem.
Would I need to swap PCM's ?
Would there be a HP or mileage improvement? Is it worth the effort?
I am keeping the truck stock except for a Mac exhaust.

For computer tuning, I've always preferred a MAP based system over a MAF system, it's just a lot easier to work with. However, for overall system reliability (in Fords specifically), MAF systems are typically the way to go. MAF systems are an exact airflow measurement, so the engine knows exactly how much fuel it needs to inject without any questions. Though this is only true if all the sensor are good, as with all systems. With a MAP based system, the computer uses an algorithm base to determine how much air should be in the system. It takes the signal from the MAP sensor, o2's, intake temp sensor, etc, to calculate how much air is in the engine and therefor how much fuel should be delivered.

So with that, if you're looking for a good fairly trouble-free system, go with the MAF setup. But first you need to make sure all the wiring is exact, the pinouts match and you have installed/removed the sensors necessary to function properly.

Back