Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mass air intake tube upgrades ?

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by LOCKONS7RA7US, March 3, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. LOCKONS7RA7US

LOCKONS7RA7US New Member

City, State:
      Everett washington
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 Ford Explorer 4x4
      Hey all , was doing research and though that id give it a try for gains . But everywhere i go places either dont have anything or the company is no long around . I have a 1992 explorer EB and was curious if you can point me in the direction of where to go and which ones to buy n try .. withwr bigger mass intake tubes or bigger mass airflow sensor..

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      I don't know of any being made today. In the past Granatelli made a larger diameter tube and a custom MAF for our trucks, which is what I'm running. I also have heard of people using 5.0 Stang MAF housings (from the MAF 89-93 models).

4. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      Save your $. Not worth it if you actually find anything. Save that $ into the fix it fund,... because it WILL need it.
      You can throw a cone filter on the end of the MAS with a 3" MAS adapter for about $30. A bigger MAS isn't going to do anything unless you can tune it or in the case of the Granatelli, already be set for the Explorer. The BBK 66mm TB isn't made any longer either...That actually is useful if you can find one. Much better throttle response.

5. LOCKONS7RA7US

LOCKONS7RA7US New Member

City, State:
      Everett washington
      92 Ford Explorer 4x4
      Good to know thanks already have a bbk 66mm tb and a comp cam guess ill save thw moce and put it towards something else .

6. LOCKONS7RA7US

LOCKONS7RA7US New Member

City, State:
      Everett washington
      92 Ford Explorer 4x4
      Do you know the part number of the Granatelli tube

7. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Girardeau, MO
      94 Sport 4x4
      I don't know the part# sorry. You might be able to contact Granatelli Motorsports about it, even though it's a discontinued item. I'll look at the MAF housing next time I'm in there, but I don't remember seeing anything. They did write the calibration on the MAF sensor itself, but that may not mean anything to anyone but Granatelli and Apten.

Jason94 is right though, the MAF tube is not a restriction on these engines. The heads are.

8. roscoe 0202

roscoe 0202 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      salt lake city utah
      1999 explorer sport
      the heads under the valve in the bowl are is extremely restrictive a little work with a grinder and carbide bit and cartridge rolls will solve this. I also think a new bigger maf and throttle body with the porting should help considerably.
      roscoe

9. LOCKONS7RA7US

LOCKONS7RA7US New Member

City, State:
      Everett washington
      92 Ford Explorer 4x4
      Bigger maf would it be easier if i just snagged a 5.0 mustang maf from that year . Read others threads thats the go to. I already ordered heads from kings cylinders heads.Com heads are swaped when they get here comp cam and bbk 66mm throttle body already on sounds like thats that should all make sufficient power increases