Maybe I should not have purchased an Explorer ? (warning: long) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maybe I should not have purchased an Explorer ? (warning: long)

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I have owned my 2001 XLT, 4.0 V-6, for about 9 months now and I'm questioning the purchase I made.

Let me start by saying that I've found this forum to be very educational and helpful.

One thing that has surprised me is the gas MPG. I should have done more homework before buying. I figured a V-6, driven easily (or should I say Grandma-like, or as I've learned here: in carbon-building mode) would do better than 12 MPG in town. I might try a tune up (42K miles), but don't expect much of a jump. Let me re-emphasize, the mpg issue is *my* problem.

The bigger question is, should I have general quality concerns about the Explorer ? The vehicle was Ford Certified, which probably means Ford thinks the prior owner took decent care of it. And it does provide me some protection for a few years. But I've seen discussions here about the SOHC 4.0 engine that lead me to believe I'm going to have problems. Similar comments have been made about the transmission.
And then there are the other problems like 'blank' radio displays, rear wipers quitting, etc. I'm used to vehicles I've had in the past where I never had to open up the engine, rebiuld a tranny, etc. I think part of what I'm fearing is due to how forum information can be interpretted - there are often more reports of problems than people who do not have problems, so problems can potentially be blown out of proportion. Yet, its still good information to be aware of.

My Explorer seems to run/shift/drive good (some pinging under load and a squeel/whine that I still need to pinpoint) and seems very 'solid' all around. I take good care of my vehicles, keep them maintained, don't drive them hard, no off-roading, but some 4WD use during long Minnesota winters.

What kind of vehicle longevity should I expect ?

Thanks,
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I can't speak for your model year, but my 92 has almost 200k. It isn't babied and gets beaten off-road. It hasn't had to have much done to it except a tranny. So I'm happy. What I've learned from this site is that it's maybe just the luck of the draw. Some X's just seem to be a problem from day 1. And some just go on and on without any major probs. I don't think they're any worse than any other vehicle in their class on MPG either. That's what you get with a full truck frame and 4x4 running gear. Good luck with yours.

How many mile do you have on it? I have a '00 with a V8 and I'm currently getting 12.5-13 MPG and I say I fall midrange with my driving style.

I've owned a 98 V6 since new and it still gets 18-19MPG. Try checking your plugs or changing brands of gass to see if that helps your MPG. Also make sure you are using 87 octane. My understanding is unless your engine is modified you could actually reduce MPG with higher octane.

As for reliability I haven't had too many issues. Other than general maintainence I have only had to:

'98 sport -- replaced fuel pump at 40,500 miles
'00 EB-- replace oil sending unit at 55,000

So as far as reliability I give them an B+ from my experiences.

my dad got my truck new in 1992, and it has never had a part replaced in the engine, transmission, or anywhere that wasnt standard maintenance like hoses, etc. great car from my point of view. 130k miles strong

Mine has 42K miles.

And its 4WD.

Dave

135k miles on mine and it is beaten like a red headed strep child. :p If you've been reading the boards then you know most of your problems have remedies. there are recalls on the motor that can be done to alleviate some of the issues the ohc has. Though imho the 4.0 ohv is a better, more reliable motor but there are those who will disagree with me. the whiper motor is a common problem and there isnt much to do to fix that other than replace the motor. There is a thread around on fixing a solder connection or something to repair the blank screen on the radio. As for the transmission there is alot of info on keeping them alive. External filters, coolers and frequent oil changes help extend the life of the transmission. There is a alot that can be done to help you get better gas mileage, there is alot of info here on the board addressing what can be done to get better gas mileage. my explorer is on 35s and i still manage to eek out 14 mpg so you should definantly be able to do better. :)

Hey, welcome here, you'll find all the information you need here, and if you don't, just ask.

For mileage. You should get atleast 17-18 mpg. I get that out of an 91 4.0 OHV with 180+K . Being a used vehicle, I would do some preventive maintenance on it, as I do with all my cars I purchase.

Spark Plugs
Air fliter
Oil change

Drop by Autozone to get a free code scan. Maybe a bad sensor, O2, TPS, EGR or MAF.

The tranny, I don't think the newer trannies have problems, It was the earlier A4LD's that have the bad reputation.

I'm sure you can find all the info here about the wiper motor, the best place to buy and the instructions to install.

Never knew the radio was a prob, but apparently some people here can tell you how to fix it.

Check this thread: Dead Link Removed

it should give you an idea of what to expect.

Point is though that any car you buy might brake down sooner or later. To me my trucks (so far 4 Explorers) have been pretty good to me. Currently I own two of them 94 Sport and 98 Sport and both serve me without many problems. Chances are that with over 21,000 members on this board you'll see some problems once in a while...

hope your truck won't give you much headache.
:D

You likely could have trouble with your transmission if you don't tighten the bolts on the valve body. Everyone that has checked has found a couple loose. While this transmission is mechanically stronger, it is very prone to blowing out the valve body gaskets. Plan a pan drop with a filter change when the weather gets warmer.

There is not a vehicle on the face of the earth that at one point or another will develop it's own issues.
They are after all, machienes. Ford squirts how many thousands of these out of their factory every day ?
Some of them you can give them all the TLC in the world and they crap all over you. Some you run the snot out of them and they beg for more.
However for the most part, show your Ex some love and attention and it will take care of you.
A part here and there and a few cuss words from time to time, but it seems around here Ex's can easily see 100+k and with some effort well into 200k

I've got 143,000 miles on my '95 with the original tranny, and I've really only put in 250 bucks in actual parts, everything else I've done to it has been in the name of "It bugs me to leave it" I've really only needed to put a new radiator in it (clogged up because previous owner never changed the antifreeze in 102,000 miles) and water pump (same cause) . I've done a tune up on it, thrown a set of tires on it, and replaced the pinion seal on the rear end, and that's it. I'm not at all afraid to jump in that sucker and drive it across country.

I manage 12-17 mpg in town with it, 12 if I drive it short trips, or 17 if i manage to stay out of traffic. And I don't baby it either.

I'll pull down 23-24 mpg on the highway, at 75mph

i beat the piss out of mine with the winter gas and get 11.5 mpg. i have 169k miles on it (it is an OHV, tho). There have been no major problems other than wear and tear. i'm on the original tranny (hell, pretty much original everything) Its still running great and i wouldnt trade it for the world (my mom today was like "are you sure you want to keep it? its getting old?" and i was like "hell yeah i am, i wouldnt trade it for anything") So far so good *knocks on wood*:hammer:

Truth be told- you bought the best truck on the face of the planet. :)

Just maintain it.

102,000 on my 97 Sport and the only parts I have replaced are cam chain tensioner under ONP, rear wheel seals, shocks, and ball joints (their junk). Just keep all the fluids changed religiously and you shoud get many, many miles out of it.

213000 every thing original except transmission modulator and thermostat and other routine replacements still running like a champ (i baby it though)

maybe you will change your opinion after reading all these posts...
:D

The psychology of Forums...

In this type of forum, you will always hear much more negative than positive about our vehicles (broken stuff etc). I'd say it's human nature that if things are all well and good, it's out of mind, but when a problem arises, it becomes a thread here. The X is no worse off for reliability than most other vehicles around. Proper maintenance should prevent problems, but then again sometimes things just break and all the preventative maintenance in the world couldn't help...

If MPG is your main problem you shouldn't have bought a real SUV. As far as reliabilty my experiences with Ford it's a hit or miss. I know a ton of people with Ford cars/trucks/SUV's that haven't had issues, but I know just as many who have.

You are experiencing what most all of us have at one point or another -- wondering if the ride was worth the price of admission. There are lots of reasons to love an Explorer, but there are just as many to hate it. You just need to be the type of person that finds more to love about it, and actually needs a real SUV for the utility it provides.

The bigger the vehicle and the more complicated its drivetrain, the more maintenance it's going to need. In your Explorer, you've got a high torque engine pushing a 5 speed automatic transmission, a transfer case, and two sets of live axles. You can't possibly compare this with a Japanese car that has a little engine/tranny-let package dropped into a front wheel drive. There simply aren't as many parts to break, and they don't see anywhere near as much abuse. Nobody in their right mind would do any kind of towing or off-roading with one of those cars -- so given the comparison they live a very babied life compared to an SUV. You hear about Explorers having lots of problems, and while I agree there are some things Ford should have done differently, their track record is still pretty good. There are also more Explorers out there than any other SUV, so of course there are going to be more problems.

Your question about the mileage is hard to answer. The sticker says that these trucks get around 15mpg on the street, but that doesn't account for a person's driving habits. Stop-and-go driving is probably the worst culprit in getting bad mileage, followed by poor maintenance and liberal use of the A/C. I would wait till you have a long trip planned to check the real mileage, and see what it does with pure highway driving. If you aren't able to get 19-21mpg that way, then you probably do need a tuneup.

Good luck,
Blue

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's see, I have a 1995 Ford Explorer 4wd 170,000 miles bought it brandnew. I had the throttle cable replaced three time within the first 2 years. Transmission came apart and busted the case. Transfer case bearings had ended up being oval shaped and needed replacing along with the low gears inside the transfer case. Radio had to be replaced because it would no longer cut off. Had to have a special front end alignment thing installed so the tire shop could even align my front end. Had to have the MAF sensor cleaned within the first 36,000 miles beacuse it kept trying to die after coming to a complete stop. Right now the UV joints need replacing because the drive shaft is vibrating, my engine hums when idling in park, there were so many things that had went tore up with my explorer that I cannot remember everything especially the things that tore up right after I bought it and it was fixed under warranty. I know for the first year and a half it was in the shop more that in my driveway. I still drive it everyday though.

Back