MFT Black / Blank Screen | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Black / Blank Screen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried pulling the battery cable to reboot and black screen for and broken myTouch. The radio came on for about 30 seconds and stopped still the black screen. The reboot try did not fix the problem

I took it to my local Ford dealer. They tried pulling the fuse and could not resolve the issue. They set me up with a rental car and said they would need my car for 3 to 4 days. They also believe it is a bad main module and it is covered under warranty for 10 years 100k miles. Will keep you posted on the progress

I got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealer after three days. Everything seems to be working. I was told they replaced the APIM. I have a question when the APIM is replaced does it delete all the settings. I still have the same preset radio stations and my Iphone is still setup on the myTouch after the APIM swapped. Is that possible?

I got my 2011 Explorer back from the dealer after three days. Everything seems to be working. I was told they replaced the APIM. I have a question when the APIM is replaced does it delete all the settings. I still have the same preset radio stations and my Iphone is still setup on the myTouch after the APIM swapped. Is that possible?

Radio presets should stay (those are held in the ACM). It should not be setup for your iPhone yet. Send me your VIN and I can pull up the APIM records to see if and when it was replaced.

So my wife has gotten the BSOD twice today, and her USB won't recognize her phone or her iPod anymore. 4,500 miles on a '15 Explorer Sport. Gonna call the dealer tomorrow.

My Ford Touch screen gone black

Hi Guys, I'm a new member from Nigeria and I need serious help. My 2011 ford explorer MFT screen has gone black now for a week. I've tried everything including fuse 29 reset and battery reset, the audio comes on for a few secs and goes into Audio off again. Screen stays black the whole time.

I've seen some threads on the net as old as 5 years but none with an actual solution. Can someone please help?

At least let me have the radio, driving gets so boring without it.

Welcome to EF.

Welcome to this forum! I've seen a number of threads on this when it first became an issue. Take it back to the dealer. There was a known software issue with some of the early versions. The dealer could upgrade the software.

I moved your thread to our 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer In Vehicle Technology (IVT) Sync, MFT - MyFord Touch sub-forum where the right folks should see it.

I'm assuming this was not a model that Ford sold through dealers in Nigeria. Any service centers that specialize in expat imports? My friends in The Netherlands found someone there that was able to work on their Explorer, but there was no warranty coverage.

Hi Guys, I'm a new member from Nigeria and I need serious help. My 2011 ford explorer MFT screen has gone black now for a week. I've tried everything including fuse 29 reset and battery reset, the audio comes on for a few secs and goes into Audio off again. Screen stays black the whole time.

I've seen some threads on the net as old as 5 years but none with an actual solution. Can someone please help?

At least let me have the radio, driving gets so boring without it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Chances are pretty good that your APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) has to be replaced. The APIM is the 'brains' of MFT. Ford has extended the warranty on it to 5 years unlimited mileage. See post 79 for a picture of it that I posted some time ago.
I merged your thread with this one that I found using the Forum's 'Search' function.

Peter

It's back up

Thanks to all who responded. My MFT screen came back up. I tried to update the switch, it crashed again and restored. Think I won't be changing anything anytime soon.

Thanks to all who responded. My MFT screen came back up. I tried to update the switch, it crashed again and restored. Think I won't be changing anything anytime soon.
I would suggest that if it does fail, take it to the dealer to have them check the APIM before the 5 year warranty runs out.

Peter

NAV Screen Black at 509 miles

My New 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum has Black Nav. screen at 509 miles Started at week one of ownership.

Today when we start the car is says " Powering down to save battery"

Dealer appointment is 21 days (3 weeks) for earliest appointment.

Wife wants to return car.

Car starts and drives fine Just Black Nav. Screen and all functions including no radio.

21 days is the earliest appointment they had?

Have you tried rebooting the system?

My New 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum has Black Nav. screen at 509 miles

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
If you get the battery saver notification I would say that the MFT is not dead. Could be your battery. Do you have a charger? That is where I would start. Doesn't matter that it is a new battery or not. Many cases of batteries being replaced in new vehicles.
BTW, I get that notification on a regular basis because I don't drive enough. Hook the trickle charger to it and bring it back up and I'm good for another while. Had the same issue with my previous Explorer.

Peter

Car starts and drives fine, it is our daily driver. just Black Nav screen and all associated functions.

Car starts and drives fine, it is our daily driver. just Black Nav screen and all associated functions.

It might start and drive fine, but according to Peter, your battery voltage might be low enough to set the error message off.

I would throw it on a battery charger overnight like said above and see if that works.

My New 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum has Black Nav. screen at 509 miles Started at week one of ownership.

Car starts and drives fine Just Black Nav. Screen and all functions including no radio.

Do you have a voltmeter? Measure the battery voltage with the car off and also with it on.

Hell drive it to a local auto parts place and have them do a quick load test on the battery / alternator. They just have to hook up to jumper cables to it to check it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will try Voltmeter Friday morning
(Raining in SWFL today/tonight)
Nav. Screen dark about 1 week after purchase.
Sad part in SW Florida all dealers are booked for at least 3 weeks.
(Maybe our last Ford Product)
Called other dealers and NOT one called me back after they said they would.
Using the steering wheel cursor the dash display says Audio off and we cannot change it to any other setting , including the radio on/off button.

Back