Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Anyone figure out how to keep mice out of the vents and blower? If my '94 sits for any period of time they build nests in the blower.

Just waiting for one of these *******s to have the Hantavirus.

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest glue traps under the truck. Only problem is that you will catch lizards, roaches and anything else that crosses its path.

You could try rat blocks under the truck but other pets might get those. Rat Blocks are usually "Neurotoxins" which means they eat enough and they gradually get paralyzed and die.

The old rat blocks were Hemotoxins where they would eat it and then go find water to drink. Once the water hit their system the toxin would activate.

Best bet would be the old standard mouse trap under the hood and keep on checking so they don't stink.

Lots of wildlife where I live, including birds of prey. So I've not wanted to use poison that could be transmitted to owls and hawks. And as you've mentioned, issue with glue traps.

Was wondering if anyone had removed the cowl between the hood and glass. Maybe put some fine mesh over the fresh air intake.

Glue trap on the blower housing might work.

Was wondering if anyone had removed the cowl between the hood and glass. Maybe put some fine mesh over the fresh air intake.

Make the screen galvanized metal instead of nylon, I would say. Little buggers would go right through nylon.

Lots of wildlife where I live, including birds of prey. So I've not wanted to use poison that could be transmitted to owls and hawks.

Nice to meet someone else that is environmentally cognizant.

Number 4,

I got curious with my 98 and decided to look. I have the same situation, mine has been sitting for a while and had a massive build up of junk in there.

A) Remove wiper arms. Little 90 deg clip on windshield side has to be pulled out after the wiper arm is held up.

B) Rocker the wiper arm back and forth and it comes right off.

C) Single Phillips head screw in the center of the cowl panels gets removed.

D) Left side cowl panel comes up, Long flat blade screw driver works best. (Work slowly to avoid breaking clips and tabs). 3 tabs in front and 1 in the back. Windshield washer hose needs worked off as well.

E) Same thing again for the right side cowl panel.

F) Look up under the right side cowl plate and you should see what looks to me like a 4" X 6" oval stack that's about 2" tall. My guess is that it would be the fresh air inlet.

Almost seems like you could put metal window screen over the top and wrap in it down around the sides and secure with a hose clamp or large zip tie.

Not much room to work with in there so removal of the right side hood hinge assembly may give you extra room to work with.

@shucker1 don't forget to pull the blower resister. They build the nest up against the evaporator as well. Could be a nice little fire. I'll check out your posted steps tomorrow, hopefully.

Number 4,

Thanks.

That's a ways off.

Engine is out and has been rebuilt as a 331. Transmission coming out tomorrow to go to get rebuilt and upgraded.

While everything is out the frame gets cleaned and sealed (As much as I can get without being stupid). With what not sure yet. Still trying to decide.

Dash coming out for heater core and damper door replacement.

Just got all of the fittings for the remote oil filter and oil cooler like Street Rod 2000 did.

Basically watching and reading what everyone else is doing and learning what works and what doesn't.

Number 4,

I got curious with my 98 and decided to look. I have the same situation, mine has been sitting for a while and had a massive build up of junk in there.

A) Remove wiper arms. Little 90 deg clip on windshield side has to be pulled out after the wiper arm is held up.

B) Rocker the wiper arm back and forth and it comes right off.

C) Single Phillips head screw in the center of the cowl panels gets removed.

D) Left side cowl panel comes up, Long flat blade screw driver works best. (Work slowly to avoid breaking clips and tabs). 3 tabs in front and 1 in the back. Windshield washer hose needs worked off as well.

E) Same thing again for the right side cowl panel.

F) Look up under the right side cowl plate and you should see what looks to me like a 4" X 6" oval stack that's about 2" tall. My guess is that it would be the fresh air inlet.

Almost seems like you could put metal window screen over the top and wrap in it down around the sides and secure with a hose clamp or large zip tie.

Not much room to work with in there so removal of the right side hood hinge assembly may give you extra room to work with.

Okay, you lost me at step "C." Your '98 sounds like it's designed more like the 3rd gens. The '94, the cowl is a solid metal piece that goes all the way across and appears to be welded. I don't see any way to remove it.

I'm wondering if the little *******s are getting in through the area the hood hinge enters the firewall.

My 98 has 2 plastic shrouds one on each side and a split in the middle.

Got to be some way to get yours off if you ever need to service the wiper arm running gear.

Any sheet metal screws along the front edge?

I have a mice problem. What I did was before shutting off the engine I put the heater in the recirculation setting. This closes off the access to the blower motor and the vent system. But before parking it for a long time I forgot and mice got into the heater system and made a home. Not knowing they were there i started driving it again and wouldn'tyou know the recirculation flapper door came off and fell over the blower fan which trapped the mice inside the vehicle. Then they do what mice do so well. I couldn't get the windows to keep from frosting over in the winter and finally figured it out. But by then I had a family of 10 mice that were trapped in one of those electronic traps one at a time. I don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars to fix the recirculation door so I removed it and the heater is pulling most of it's air from the inside so if their is moisture the A/C is used to keep the inside windows clear. And now when mice get in they can get back out. The Ford heater system is a joke when their cheap plastic parts get brittle and break.

you can spray some tom cat urine in your cowl that will keep the mice out. how you collect the urine is up to you. lol.

Back