Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Might have lost my condenser to a rock - what else to replace?

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by 96firephoenix, September 29, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 96firephoenix

96firephoenix Active Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      Title pretty much says it all... yesterday, I noticed my AC wasn't working in the afternoon, but it had been working in the morning. Did a quick visual check of the system, fuses, lines, etc... and noticed about a dime sized rock (or something) had impacted the condenser, right where the vents in the front bumper cover are straight through to the condenser.

The vanes where the refrigerant passes (not just the fine heat sink vanes) are displaced and damaged... without doing a thorough diagnostic yet, I'm operating on the assumption that the condenser is cracked.

Assuming it is cracked condenser, what else should I replace? Most places online are suggesting the orifice tube and accumulator, but are there any other parts of the AC system that should be replaced while we are breaking it open? Compressor seemed to be running strong, but we just rolled 150K on the truck, so should I do that just on general principles?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 96firephoenix

96firephoenix Active Member

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      So the plot thickens... I've still got pressure in the lines (within the 60-80 PSI with the engine off that recommended in the service manual), but the AC won't work. The compressor isn't engaging even in the Max AC and Defrost positions.

Is it possible that a dent in the condenser is constricting it enough to cause problems? I wouldn't think that only 2 displaced vanes would restrict it enough to make a problem, if it's not.

I'm going to run through more of the diagnostic steps over the weekend, but I'm thinking my low pressure safety switch may have eaten it, just coincidentally at the same time as the rock in the condenser...