Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Mn Mountaineer V8 SAS

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by johnny499, July 28, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 Explorer 5.0
      Your pictures are not showing anymore in your build thread :-( Glad things are better now for you.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. bronchole

bronchole Driveway flexing! Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      1997 & 2005 Mounty
      Callsign:
      KI6MCO
      Hmmm, Are these 4406 prone to failure? I am on my 3rd, although I cannot blame the T-case for the first one. None of them give the impression of a solid T-case though. I almost went with an Atlas the last time, but someone on this forum sent me one at a pretty good price.

4. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      The 4406 was used in trucks with fixed IFS front axles. Could the movement of your front axle be an issue?

5. SWIGIN

SWIGIN Active Member

City, State:
      PA
      79 Bronco , 98 Explorer
      Ford used the 4406 up to and including the light duty F250 so I don't think a little EX is going to work one too hard.

You might just have bad luck or your doing something wrong.

Last edited: September 14, 2017
    6. bronchole

bronchole Driveway flexing! Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Los Angeles, CA
      1997 & 2005 Mounty
      Callsign:
      KI6MCO
      Sorry, I didn’t mean to thread hijack.

My first 4406 was the one that was in the rig when I bought it from nnsj2. It died when 3 of the 4 front driveshaft CV bolts backed out and the CV wedged itself against the body of the T-case and split the front drive section off of the T-case. Obviously not the T-cases fault.

The second one I sourced myself from Pick-a-part. After about 10K miles it started making some strange noises on a freeway drive while towing. I pulled over and shifted it thru the gear ranges to see if something was half way in gear. It stuck itself in to low range and I could not get it back out. Much more stranger noises on the 10 mile drive home.

The 3rd one is still working fine, but all of these T-cases had some significant backlash from coast to drive. They all have a “meshing” sound when driving down the road.

I run a slip yoke on my front driveshaft and I do not believe that this is related to any of the issues I am describing.

I have owned a few chain drive T-cases before (NP208, 1356 and whatever is in my 1992 F350). All of them gave a good solid feel, operated noise free unless the chain was in need of replacement and had no notable coast to drive backlash. That is why I am always wondering if the 4406 is the weakest link in my drive terrain.

I have my second 4406 in the garage along with whatever I thought was salvageable from the first one. Someday I will tear apart #2 and figure out what happened. If possible, put it back together as a spare. I have a feeling that if I ever need a spare, it will only be in there long enough to order an Altas.

I was just wondering if there was allot of history with failures on the 4406. For now I still take my wheeling in to the deep dark depths of Rubicon and Dusy-Ershim.

7. johnny499

johnny499 Active Member

City, State:
      brooklyn park,mn
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 SAS
      Callsign:
      KB0NAC
      I don't know about the durability, my first one made it 40k for me and that was a junk yard take out with unknown mileage. Both of mine seem to have backlash which may be amplified by the trutrack in the rear end for me. It's nothing like my ranger was with the lockrite locker, that would confuse the cruise control when it crested a hill...
      It is what i expect for $125 vs. $2600 for an atlas, i have thought about a 203/205 doubler but that's time and money too.

8. Spudhut

Spudhut New Member

City, State:
      Bentonville, AR
      1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
      Callsign:
      KG5SPB
      is it possible to throw up a few detailed pictures of your SAS and suspension? I know photobucket isnt working well for us.

I use https://cubeupload.com and works pretty good for posting pictures.

Thanks.