Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2007 May 19-20 Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like I am going to change my status to "Ride along" with Jefe. We will be tenting it at Canyonlands Campground. (Should also mean we wil be getting more pictures and video this year :D)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok in all seriousness: I am leaving STL on Wednesday afternoon.

Plans are to make it to Hays or Colby, KS and spend the night on Wednesday.

Next morning up early and ready to take on Denver by 12-1 PM

But I may stop @ 4 wheel parts store and see if I am missing things. And maybe talk them into a locker setup.

7 days left!!!!!

Hells Revenge is on my main list, hint hint Jefe!!
Are you going to be in town by Thurs afternoon? That has become John and my 'jsut got into town and itchin to wheel' run. But since we'll just be one vehicle I'm hoping to find someone to wheel with. Otherwise we'll be running something boring :eek: . . er, I mean scenic :p: on Thursday afternoon. (Gemini Bridges, Klondike, Tower arch, etc)
We could also see about fitting Hells Revenge in another day. Its only 2 hours or so with a small, well equipped group.

No need for a jeep? So your Explorer is moving under its own power again?
Not sure if you meant it that way, but that was rather harsh. :( :p:

No, its not done. The trans is in, but it needs fluid. The front axle needs to be reattached, and I still have a few more pieces of roll cage to weld in. :eek: :confused: :hammer:

Seven Mile Rim

To those of you planning Seven Mile Rim - I strongly advise one of you to plug in the GPS coordinates for the trail that is provided in the back of Charles Wells' book on pg 249 and have them saved on your GPS before you head out. *hint* :)

PS ~ remember the book was written during the time that the govt was still scrambling the civilian GPS signals to make them less accurate so once you're on the trail if you show a position off by a hundred yards that's understandable.

gjarrett
tilt168
mboyle
becker69
fakrwee
JTX
Jefe
928sport
Brian1
410fortune
FlyBoyCoe
moab2
rick
jstrider
chad551
goliath
Dignan

34 signed up for dinner at the Branding Iron.

Here's a link to the Branding Iron's site for anyone interested in their menu:
http://www.moabbrandingiron.com/

*Ahem* forgot one there, chief ;)

I'll be in Denver @ 11am Thursday, and depending on what time the Colorado kids are leaving I may end up exploring the Mile High city all day and getting to Moab in the evening. I got to see Golden Spike, Hells Revenge and Escalator last year, so I'm really jonesing to see these 'scenic routes' you guys are talking about (it's Moab, how can anything NOT be scenic?!). Something about bridges and picture arches? Sure hope no one minds me riding along... don't worry, I take lots of pictures :D

Are you going to be in town by Thurs afternoon? That has become John and my 'jsut got into town and itchin to wheel' run. But since we'll just be one vehicle I'm hoping to find someone to wheel with. Otherwise we'll be running something boring :eek: . . er, I mean scenic :p: on Thursday afternoon. (Gemini Bridges, Klondike, Tower arch, etc)
We could also see about fitting Hells Revenge in another day. Its only 2 hours or so with a small, well equipped group.

hopefully fairly early not real sure when, pm me your number and I will holler at ya when I am close, I should be there around mid afternoon,

gjarrett
tilt168
mboyle
becker69
fakrwee
JTX
Jefe
928sport
Brian1
410fortune
FlyBoyCoe
moab2
rick
jstrider
chad551
goliath
dignan
msupertek
mountaineergreen
db_1

And Spas;)

41 signed up for dinner at the Branding Iron.

Here's a link to the Branding Iron's site for anyone interested in their menu:
http://www.moabbrandingiron.com/

Not sure if you meant it that way, but that was rather harsh. :( :p:

No, its not done. The trans is in, but it needs fluid. The front axle needs to be reattached, and I still have a few more pieces of roll cage to weld in. :eek: :confused: :hammer:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh, I've been following you thread on your 700R4 since I have done that swap in mine, so I had seen that you were having trouble with it and just wanted an update.

I try not to sound like a jerk, but I've come to realize that, as a matter of fact, I am a jerk :eek: , so its hard not to sound like one. I guess I just need a new job, this one is making me crazy :confused: and turning my into a crusty old grouch. I could use a vacation. Good thing Moab is coming up. :D

wooo, getting so close...

should be so fun, gonna bum around canyonlands NP for a few days before the weekend. anyone got any suggestions for hikes/mountain bike rides?

Which part of the park are you going to? There are three districts. The Maze District is on the opposite side from Moab and a trip in of itself, The Needles District is a lot of fun and a little more rugged than The Island in the Sky District. Salt Creek is one of my favorite trails. That was the first off road trail I ever went on. It is now closed to off-road vehicles, but you can hike it and I think bike it. The confluence overlook is only mildly challenging for an suv, but I think would be very fun on a bike. There are some great hikes around Chesler Park, but you have to either go up Elephant Hill or around the back road. I can look that road up if you want to do that. Chesler Park is one of the most amazing scenes the Moab area has to offer. I hope to run Elephant Hill while I'm down there and hike to the overlook. It is a very fun, relatively short hike to a breathtaking view of Chesler Park.

There are some great hikes around Chesler Park, but you have to either go up Elephant Hill or around the back road. I can look that road up if you want to do that.

It is Beef Basin Road. Here is an article about some guys that took it to Impossible Hill, but you can skip the Impossible Hill if you're going to be alone. I wouldn't mind taking this route to do Elephant Hill with a group if anyone wants to. With our larger group, we would probably have to skip Impossible Hill to make it over Elephant Hill before it gets too dark, plus I have open diffs, so I don't want to try Impossible Hill this year.

I have a GPS and have already entered waypoints for nearly every trail in the charles wells book, just in case I have time to try some different trails as well.
So I Don't think there will be to much problems on seven mile rim. If his coordinates are correct then we'll be on track:thumbsup:

I got a gps also so we should be in good shape.

Cant Wait!:D

Found this video from my first year at Moab. Remember this Mike?

Moab 2004 :eek:

Ha ha ya that's was a great time there... We'll have the best vid yet this year.:thumbsup:

LOL.... yeah you didn't do a very good job of "tiptoeing" behind the rocks at that spot :eek: I still remember that move..... are you gonna try to outdo it this year? :D

7 days until departure!:salute:

I may be leaving early and visiting my mom in Texas on the way in so I might be leaving as early as tomorrow afternoon or Saturday. For the early arrivals Thursday I assume we'll be meeting at the usual pre-event watering hole? :chug: If so I'll see ya at the Moab Brewery Thursday nite. :)

In case I cannot check in later, I'll be on CB Channel 1 like the Moab info sheet suggested and we're staying at the Silver Sage Inn.

My Moab "Flight Plan"

Okay I just contacted Rick with a plan I want to do and he came up with a good further suggestion for me.

For a long time I have wanted to run Lockhart Basin but it's a long trail and I've never been able to find someone to run it with me. The Wells book suggests not to run it alone because it is a remote trail. It starts just outside of town beyond the entrance to Kane Creek Canyon and ends south of Moab down by Elephant Hill.

I plan to arrive a day or two early and since I will be approaching Moab from the southern end, I would very much like to run Lockhart Basin backwards south-to-north and take that trail into town Thursday.

Pilots file a flight plan to notify others of their route so that in case they don't arrive, people know where to start searching for them. I would like to file a Moab "trail plan" with you guys and if I do not show up Thursday night at the Moab Brewery or at the Silver Sage Inn where I am staying, or especially if I am not at the driver's meeting on Friday morning at the City Market, you'll know that I'm broke down somewhere on Lockhart Basin. My vehicle is in top shape with new belts/hoses/etc and I've got full trail gear and spares, but there's always that 2% chance that Mr Murphy could show up on the trail.

There's been about fifteen dozen ideas thrown around for a Friday run; is it okay if I do this and a couple of you would be willing to change your plans Friday if Mr Murphy showed up and I didn't, and come get me on Lockhart Basin?

PS ~ or better yet, maybe someone arriving early from the south would like to run it with me :)

Okay I just contacted Rick with a plan I want to do and he came up with a good further suggestion for me.

For a long time I have wanted to run Lockhart Basin but it's a long trail and I've never been able to find someone to run it with me. The Wells book suggests not to run it alone because it is a remote trail. It starts just outside of town beyond the entrance to Kane Creek Canyon and ends south of Moab down by Elephant Hill.

I plan to arrive a day or two early and since I will be approaching Moab from the southern end, I would very much like to run Lockhart Basin backwards south-to-north and take that trail into town Thursday.

Pilots file a flight plan to notify others of their route so that in case they don't arrive, people know where to start searching for them. I would like to file a Moab "trail plan" with you guys and if I do not show up Thursday night at the Moab Brewery or at the Silver Sage Inn where I am staying, or especially if I am not at the driver's meeting on Friday morning at the City Market, you'll know that I'm broke down somewhere on Lockhart Basin. My vehicle is in top shape with new belts/hoses/etc and I've got full trail gear and spares, but there's always that 2% chance that Mr Murphy could show up on the trail.

There's been about fifteen dozen ideas thrown around for a Friday run; is it okay if I do this and a couple of you would be willing to change your plans Friday if Mr Murphy showed up and I didn't, and come get me on Lockhart Basin?

PS ~ or better yet, maybe someone arriving early from the south would like to run it with me :)

running a trail alone? goes against everything i've been taught but ok....gl and im sure we'll come do some S+R if you don't show up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't show Thursday Night/Friday morning meeting, I'll go looking for ya. The trail is 37 miles so that would only take me out on Friday. I'll pm you my cell so if for some reason other then being stuck in Moab you are not going to be in Moab Thursday night please call me. ;)

I seriously doubt you'll have any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back