Moab Expedition Trip April 17-25, 2012 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab Expedition Trip April 17-25, 2012

..:scratch:..It might be a BK not a Micky D's...I know it's the only fast food chain store there..:(

...I know I can get my yellow wrapper breakfast burrito's at their 2 pump filler up in center of town strip...Or is that at the Cali-Ariz. border on the Colorado River off the 40?..:confused:

..It's 104* here at home and I can't wait for this trip to get started..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't worry - I'll make more chorizo-potato-onion-egg burritios...

...Other than what Brian1 posted on the first page? not at this time..

..The discussion on page 1 about covers it until time gets closer to when we can better judge the weather situation...

...We like to also explore a bit too which also will lead to changes in plans...As for being detailed enough to where we are going to camp each and every night, that usually get's finalized on trail too..

Sounds like fun! Im getting married at the end of November so well see how tight money is! Maybe turboexplorer's truck will be done by then too! ill watch for updates as it gets closer!

Route planning:

For the Canyonlands National Park area, the park web site has some decent PDF maps showing the roads through the park

http://www.nps.gov/cany/index.htm

Here's a good PDF map:

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/upload/tripmap.pdf

I'd like to suggest that we consider some of the following, which are long "through" trails (i.e., we can go in one way and come out somewhere else - as opposed to an "out-and-back" trail where we go in and come back out the same way):

* White Rim (about 100mi)
* Lockhart Basin
* Devil's Lane/Bobby's Hole/Beef Basin

We could actually do White Rim in a day, but my understanding is it's better to take two and to camp out along the rim.

Lockhart Basin would take us down to the Needles area where we could pick up the West end of Beef Basin and then take it around to the East, or we could catch some other roads that go to the South.

We could also go across the Colorado River into the Maze District, but I don't know that we'll have the time. Maze takes a minimum of 2 days to really do it right.

Note that campsites in the Maze and White Rim have to be reserved ahead of time for the most part.

For the rest of the time, though, as long as we're not in the National Park we should be able to camp pretty much where we want to.

If we stay East of the Colorado, there are a number of areas we can explore South of Canyonlands as we make our way South. I've camped out at Valley of the Gods (just South of Moki Dugway near Mexican Hat) and I can confirm there are lots of good, free campsites there.

Once we cross the San Juan river at Mexican Hat, we'll be on the Rez (Navajo) and AFAIK can only camp in developed (i.e, pay) campsites.

There's a very well developed park at Monument Valley but IMO way too crowded to want to camp there.

That's all I've got for now, I was just glossing over the DeLorme Utah atlas to see what routes there are South of the Needles area and there are quite a few through the La Sal National Forest. This would be South of the Needles and West of US191.

EDIT: Here are some references to the trails I'm talking about:

Devil's Lane http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=294
Beef Basin http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=293
Lockhart Basin http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=96
White Rim http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=138

..:scratch:..I think Mike ran off with his new ice box and ain't coming back..:shifty_ey

He'll be back - I have faith.

..:eek:..There's only about 5 months until this trip..

..Got your stuff ready?

Engine should be worked on the week after Thanksgiving, so I should have it the middle of December.

I still have a lot to do to the truck before that - should get a lot done over the holiday.

I will be getting a new tent.

So, yeah, I'm ready....

..I take it you are going to pack that tent on the roof?..:scratch:

No, I'm not really into the whole RTT thing. I'm not worried about being in the food chain in North America.

I will just need to find level spot next to the truck.

I guess I could have phrased my question better, lol..

..Are you going to carry that heavy ass tent on the roof during the trip?..:p:...It seems it may make it even harder to get to your tools and other stuff in your deck with that in the back..

..I seen that it weighed like 70#'s but didn't find how small it folds up to..:dunno:

..I seen a used OZ rv2 tent for sale over on EP...I like them for the summer with their porches and kitchen walls but don't they get a bit heavy when wet and take a bit more to dry out to keep the mildew out?

(..The canvas units like you are getting and the Oz tents, that's what I'm referring too..:confused: )

The tent folds up to about 10x10x36 - not too big. I will carry it on the deck, not on the roof.

It is heavy, but my new V8 will have plenty of power to drag it around the desert! ;)

Communications...

I just installed my 2 meter HAM. Will anyone else be on 2m there? If so I can try to find a list of repeaters we can hit.

I also work close to the USGS map warehouse so if anybody is having difficulty getting maps, let me know and I'll see what I can find. 1:100,000 scale maps work best, I think. They run about $9/ea which is expensive but the coverage is pretty darn good.

...I spotted Mike..:shifty_ey..He was spotted browsing the Ranger section with his ice box..;)

Still here........

Ted...... caught me looking around eh? Busy, busy, got the truck back late august, all is good.. even better than before my mishap. I mounted some new lights, 2 Hella Black Magics, (great lights, good price ) changed my gas can carry set up, and of course the fridge, it works great!!! eggs, sausage, beer, water, ice tea, cheese,veggies all the good stuff, not much eating out of a can, heck if we are camped one day early enough some chili could be doable... All my kit is organized and ready to go. 3mos. more to go getting real itchy . Martin, I may take you up on your offer to follow you out from Denver as Rt. 70 will be my choice for my journey out. Hey! I am thinking of bringing my little kayak just in case on the out/back trip I see some water I just can't pass up, again I will allow myself plenty of time to snoop around out/back. Hmmmmm a kayak being carted around MOAB, might bring on some interesting conversations if meeting other over landers. Never can tell will be a last minute call probably. All you guy's stay safe and have a wonderful Christmas/Holiday season!!! mj " Fridge " mcdowell :)

..4 months and counting...:bounce:

...In the meantime...I stopped by and visited with the Adventureduo team...They are leaving Thursday on their 1000 mile adventure from

the Southern border of Arizona/Mexico below Ajo and end in Pismo Beach California via dirt.

...They said the trip will be about 850 miles offroad out of 1000 miles total over a ten day period..Dave will be loaded up with all kinds of goodies including a military P.O.V. camera..

..Here is a link to their discussion thread..Hopefully they will be doing some live coverage..
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/48156-Calzona-Overland-Expedition-2011?highlight=

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Brian1, a couple questions for ya...:D

...Is it worth going down lower butler wash rd. south and then coming back north on comb wash rd?...I see their is cliff dwellings on the lower butler but was wondering if the other side of comb ridge is equally pleasing...:scratch:

Back