MoabB2's Body Restoration Thread | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MoabB2's Body Restoration Thread

How old is your power steering box? It might be time for a rebuild
Using the 5.0L style pump with the BII style box = great steering but its also about twice the pressure as your old 2.9L pump put out, so the box needs to be in good shape.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The power steering box is just the stock unit, I don't think it has ever been replaced or rebuilt. It was also leaking pretty good before we started the restoration, but I think we concluded that the leak was due to a faulty line.

I was having issues with my steering right after complteting the 5.0 conversion. At low rpm, or idle, I was having next to no power steering, it was incredibly stiff. But under throttle I had plenty of power steering. It got kindof scary when coasting around turns on the freeway!

We all suspected the 5.0 pump, so I replaced it with a used unit. My 'dead' areas in my steering were a little better but still not perfect.

new box time, I got one at the junk yard for $10 and had it rebuilt for $90 then bolted it in, you need a puller for the pitman arm
I would check over your tie rods, make sure there are no leaks and the fluid is good, air has been bled out of the system, if it all checks out I would consider getting the box rebuilt

Sounds good. It was leaking before the restoration, I'll have to check it out after and see what it looks like.

Would a faulty box cause the annoying belt squeal? Sounds like it is coming straight from the pump.

no
bad torque on the tensioner or idler pulley bolts, water in the pulley/bearing, or a bad pump will cause a squeal, also a bad tensioner

If the truck has sat for a while since it ran (it has) give it a few days before you go replacing more parts for a belt squeal, this is AFTER you have checked the belt and pullies

Was the engine washed recently?

Yeah, I'd guess that Ratstang washed it.

He wanted to go on ahead and replace the pump...But what you said is exactly what I told him. I figured it could be a tensioner or belt or something, or just sitting for a while. So, my solution was to wait a while, run the truck for a while and then narrow down the problem before replacing the pump....again.

just be happy you are rid of the crappy plastic 2.9L & 4.0L style pump, the 5.0L pump doesnt have the classic ford WHINE, man the V8 conversion was almost worth it just for that

I definately have a whine, sounds a lot different than my brother's 87 mustang 5.0.

Check out this thread, in post 150 you can see a movie.

movie thread

Or did I already post that here?

trucks looking pretty good, your rad hose looks damn close to the alternator pulley, with that pump you should not have any whine IMO

I do? Cuz I passed over the Sagnaw stuff years ago, I mean the 4.0L pumps worked they just whined

Nice install

Cool, thanks Copykat. Do you have any other brighter pictures where I can see the pods better?

Here are the ones in the Bronco.

guages%20001.jpg

guages%20002.jpg

guages%20003.jpg

Thanks CopyKat. Those look good.

I just went with the single pod. That is a great space to use. With my CB mounted underdash, T-case shifter, aux light switches, ARB switches(soon), the A Pillar was a great place to fit my trans temp gauge.

I wasn't able to use the A Pillar before because I had a spotlight mounted there. With the paint and bodywork, we took that out and filled in the hole, so you can't even tell it was there. That spotlight was there when I bought the truck and it just never really grew on me. It looks a lot cleaner now.

Another spot I used that I may throw a proper temp guage there is where the old push button 4x4 switch was. I had my Oil pressure guage (Electrical)there in the ranger and it was a perfect fit. If you just have a single guage you want to put then it's a good spot.

228908_462_full.jpg

I know what you mean about it being cramped. Mine is a stick so i have even less room. Couldn't you build a little pod box next to the 4x4 shifter for your guages?
CBmount%20001.jpg

I never did like mine down low they were hard to read and drive at the same time.
console196.JPG

When they are up at eye level it's a quick glance.

It looks like a couple of good ideas there....

My CB is huge compared to that one!!! I guess a pod box could be built down there...However, I have a bench seat up front and for now would like to keep my seating for 5!

SSSHHHHHHH, it's a secret, but I am reserving the push-button 4x4 spot for my ARB switches! I think they would look sweet there. I just don't want anyone else to get to it before me...! My problem is that I have a manual T-case, so the plastic piece that would have housed the pushbutton 4x4 isn't flat, and appears like a fake AC vent.

Is it my best bet to find a pushbutton piece in a junk yard, and then cut that to fit my ARB switches? This is just an idea i've been throwing around, I haven't researched it much. I don't even know if that is a single piece or if it is tied into the whole dash trim...

Is it my best bet to find a pushbutton piece in a junk yard, and then cut that to fit my ARB switches? This is just an idea i've been throwing around, I haven't researched it much. I don't even know if that is a single piece or if it is tied into the whole dash trim...

Both the fake vent and the switch snap into the actual vent and surround. All I did was use a piece of ABS (Painted Black) sheet and cut out what I wanted then I used a bit of silicone to glue it on the back side. Easy as that.

And there is lots of room for a 2" guage and a couple of switches.

This is what I look like now. It does appear that I could just get the pushbutton piece and cut that to fit the switches.

Attachments

• Moab 3-06 114.jpg
    Moab 3-06 114.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 325

This is what I look like now. It does appear that I could just get the pushbutton piece and cut that to fit the switches.

Just get yourself a small piece of plastic.

You'll have to fill the holes left from the switches, and it's gonna look like ass unless you get rat to do some magical bondo work to it. It'll be easier to make a new piece. Believe me.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find that piece I cut. It didn't go with the truck when I sold it. I know I have my template around, (Saw it the other day) so making another would be a piece of cake.

I pick her up tonight fools!

I'll have the camera in hand, so expect some pics soon.

It'll have to go on the trailer as the alignment is jacked up beyond belief. After installing the F150 coil spacers the toe-in is nasty. Any suggestions on doing the alignment? 410, I know you just did this mod. I wouldn't know how to align it myself, it is going to have to be towed into the shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get yourself the Moog 2.75 correction camber shims and bring them with you to the alignment shop.

Its not too difficult to adjust toe with a tape measure close enough to make it driveable to the alignment shop IMO

Back