MoabB2's Body Restoration Thread | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MoabB2's Body Restoration Thread

Yes Josh, Pretty much all post 1971 Factory vehicles are measured Net SAE Horsepower. Measured at the Flywheel with most standard accessories installed on the engine . Factory I would guess around 175 Rear Wheel Horsepower.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your old 2.9L probably put down 90 or so horsepower, so dont feel too bad hahaha
A 2wd Ranchero my buddy has with a 96 Explorer GT-40 drivetrain put down 205 RWHP I believe, with just headers. His rear end gearing is all jacked up so he couldnt really push it that day, all he has going for him is a low mileage explorer V8 and trans, shorty headers and 2wd. 205 is not bad at all for a setup like that.
I figure with TM headers, intake spacer, intake, good exhaust setup, engine in a good state of tune, 1350 style t case and 35" tires you will probably be in the same neighborhood, 200-215 RWHP max.
thats plenty for a BII, and of course with a EFI 5.0L already under your hood, the sky is the limit.
In the snow last week I got the BII stuck, with both lockers on, the 1354 T case in low, truck in 1, 4.10 and 35" MTR's I got out to air down the tires. What I forgot was I left her in 1, idliing. All 4 tires were just slowly spinning, sliding on the ice like hockey pucks ( I was stuck good). It looked just like a tractor. That 5.0L has plenty of juice for your BII, if you want more I suggest a custom mild cam, roller rockers and a custom tune/dyno session next :)
After you re-gear and get some strong axles under your bad ass BII :)

Thanks a lot Jamie!

SAS is on its way. I have the D44 and 8.8 just sitting in the garage waiting for $ and parts. I thought I could have it done by Moab in May, but I have a lot of other things tugging on my wallet right now: Finish off basement at my house, new baby next month, not to mention paying to finish off all this restoration stuff. Hopefully I can get around to it sooner rather than later. Know anybody who can help me do this right and cheap?????

As for the cam and roller rockers, I think I can wait. I have hardly got to drive it with the 5.0 in it! I'm not sure if a custom dyno tune will help me with my current mods...but thats what I'm gettin. I just don't think I was runnin right before. I think my air fuel trims were way out of wack, and also think that my James Duff headers were messing up my computer. So, I am hoping that with the new TM headers and flowmasters, that a custom SCT/Dyno tune can help to dial in my A/F ratios and get it running right. Before, it was just hit and miss, sometimes I would have screamin' power, other times I would have to bury the tach just to get up a slight incline on the freeway. My 3.73 gearing could have a bit to do with this. But when the 5.0 was running right I could tell a huge difference.

wanna bring it to Colorado?
Solid axle costs $$$ and time, I know guys with $2000 just in the axle

Take your time for sure!!
I guess you dont need my 8.8 then! hahahaha it's cool I will use it :)

You know, I would definitely bring it to Colorado. One of my best buddies just moved to Denver, so it would give me an excuse to go visit him. ;) And I know you'd know what you are doing, I don't know if I trust anyone around here.

I just ran into the 8.8, some guy just down the road from me had a disc brake 8.8 for $100, I couldn't pass that up...!:thumbsup:

heck no $100 is awesome
First get everything you need to install it, then we'll worry about where to install it... I would want to do it myself if I was you so I could learn the who and why, maybe just recruit help for the welding :) I would recruit help from my friends here in town if i was to install it, its not like I have done several solid axle conversions, even though I am pretty damn sure I could and understand how!
You still have alot of work to do before you are ready to put those suckers under that truck.....$$$$$$$$$$

I would love to do this myself! No way I would dare tackle it without some help though. This is something I want done right and reliable. I'll come out to Denver and we can work on it together. The hard part will be saving up for all those parts!

Ebay!

Naw, just collect parts from places like Craigs, Ebay, Co4x4. I bet we have maybe $1200 into Daniel's SAS in the BII. Sure I did the work and it would cost a fortune to pay someone to do it, but who does that anyway?

Whats up Moab.....can't wait to see this thing done...has to be the baddest BII I have seen.

Moab 07 is whats up!

Wooohooo! I was able to pick it up today, the first time it has left the shop in 7 1/2 months. It still has a lot of work to do before it is complete, I am just happy to have it in my possession again. I actually feel like I own the sucker again.

So tomorrow it is off to the exhaust shop to get a new exhaust set up. I plan to stick with my dual flowmasters, I just need to tie them in with the new TM headers. Hopefully we can set up some time of H/X pipe, space under there is hard to find though.

Once the exhaust is complete, it is back to the Restoration shop. Wiring is complete, just needs to be plugged in, new trans lines need to be run, interior installed, fenders/hood/hatch installed, alignment, retorque new body mounts, and I'm sure a few more things, and then it is time to fire it up! Cross your fingers.

A few pics:
2202115_224_full.jpg

2202115_225_full.jpg

Man, it gets better and better everytime I see it.

<-------------O O O face!

so you will have it running tonight then? I would! hahaha
friggin awesome have you considered clear bra or something to protect the rocker panels from chips?

If MY BII had a body like that I may have to run mud flaps and I hate mud flaps

I hadn't considered clear bra for the rockers, but that is a great idea!

My flares give a ton of coverage, so that should protect the rocker pretty well, but I am still hoping to put in some quick release mud flaps. I wouldn't mind running mudflaps around town (it would get the POPO off my back too), but offroad they would drive me crazy so I'd just want to be able to quick disconnect them.

the sides of my BII get creamed by rocks, the fiberglass covers the tires mostly but water/mud/rocks just get tossed up like a fish tail, I kinda like it!

so you will have it running tonight then? I would! hahaha
friggin awesome have you considered clear bra or something to protect the rocker panels from chips?

If MY BII had a body like that I may have to run mud flaps and I hate mud flaps

You wanna come out and start it up for me? I bet it takes this kid atleast 2 more weeks just to get it runnin.

He did find a place in my harness that was arcing with the frame.....what do you know...it was on my bank 1 o2 sensors. When he was fixing that he found that for my #1 o2 sensor the wiring for the sensor and the heater was swapped. Another problem on bank 1.

I'm hoping that these were the issues that were causing my rich/lean condition and that I can finally get this thing to run right. It hasn't run right ever since he came out of the 'stuck in closed loop' mode. (I always mix up closed and open loop, isn't closed what it runs in when it first starts up, the preset algorithms?)

um yeah those two wiring problems would cause some issues, sending the pre heater 02 power to another sensor function = not good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok Moab....I have to get this out in the open. There is one thing that I really don't like about your BII. Everytime you post pics it gives me new ideas for mine which is costing more and more everyday.

Back