MoabB2's Body Restoration Thread | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MoabB2's Body Restoration Thread

Compare that to like $20 bucks to rattle can it though....

I'm thinking about doing it, like you though, I just wonder how well it will hold up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right now mine are painted but I have a local Line-X place that will do both for $150.00. I just havent seen any bumpers sprayed with bed coating so Im not real sure how it would come out.

Yea I have a powder coating oven and have done lots on mine. But no way the bumpers. If you nick powder coating then you have to take back off a redo. They supposedly have a powerful light that you can just do small nicks or parts of large parts, but I don't have one. Just sand and paint sounds a lot better unless it's just for show.

Your just mad your bumpers wont fit in your oven, heck youd probably powder coat your house if you could :)

Your just mad your bumpers wont fit in your oven, heck youd probably powder coat your house if you could :)

Let me as you somthing. Do you have a little mind reading both set up on the boardwalk at Atlantic City NJ? You got it right again.:D

Were in the process of getting a bigger over. In fact we just got some more heating elements out of an old oven. But for the guy that does not have one, it would be a PITA to redo each time they got nicked. I just wanted to get into the conversation.

Man, I just read through the whole thread on Utah Stangs and got to page 22 and it still isn't done!!!!!! I just spent the whole afternoon going through this thing (good thing my desk is in a corner and my boss cant see what I'm doing) and I didn't even get to see the final product. What I did see looked good, but I guess I'll have to wait a few more days. :)

It's kinda like a really long movie with a crappy ending....!

Yeah, most of the info is over there on Utahstangs, although a lot of it is just us B.S.ing.

So, wait a few more days, actually probably weeks, and I'll try to come up with a better ending to the movie.

The exhaust should be done tonight! Oh yeah.

It's kinda like a really long movie with a crappy ending....!

Exactly.

I only spent one day, you've spent months on it without an ending. I can only imagine how you feel. I had my explorer getting a 700R4 and it took a couple of months and I was so happy to get it back. That was a couple of months for one stinkin transmission. Compared to what your truck is going through, I think it is amazing how much he has done to it. If it was my transmission guy doing all of that, it would take years, he was so slow.

The wait should be well worth it when it is all done! It's just getting to that point that is long and frustrating.

I picked her up last night from the exhaust shop. I had a local mustang/speed/dyno shop do it and it turned out really nice. The same shop will be dialing in the custom SCT tune on the dyno.

The exhaust is pretty similar to what I had before the new TM headers. The main changes just had to be made in the down pipes. My O2 sensors were setup again in much better locations. And I ditched the old cats for two new high-flow Magnaflow cats. Still stuck with my dual Flowmasters. Overall it is much more solid than my previous exhaust and I am pretty happy. I should have taken some pictures of it last night. All I had time to do though was pick it up from the exhaust shop, load on the trailer, trailer up to the restoration shop, and drop it off.

I kinda had it in my possession there for a few days....oh well.

So, 410...

I was looking at my tank purge sensor thing last night... I have 3 fuel lines coming from the tank, they are all OEM lines and hooked together. One of them from the tank ran only to my tank sensor, which is mounted in my engine compartment. What's going on here?

you have 3 lines from teh fuel tank
1 is the feed line (comes from fuel filter, and fuel pumps)
1 is the return line (even though your pump pushes 80 psi the regualtor only allows 38 psi at the rail so everything over 38 psi, even when the injectors are firing at full WOT) gets returned to the tank.

The 3rd line is the vapor line, vapors from the top of the gas tank are stored in a charcoal canister until you hit WOT, at WOT the computer opens the canister purge valve and the vapors are sucked into the throttle body/intake and the canister is purged....

it is likey that on your truck, like mine, the kid who did your conversion ditched the charcoal canister (holding tank, waste of space IMO, its just there so soccer moms dont smell gas) and ran the single canister purge valve from the old 2.9L on your new 5.0L?

I would have to take a look at it.

Your fuel line setup will be a bit different then mine, my 88 uses two pumps and a filter, in 89 they went to a single in tank pump and where my fuel filter is you have a metal bracket on the frame rail that has 3 metal lines (to bypass the exhaust manifolds without getting as cramped as my 88 style system

i cant wait to see your truck and point out, oh they did this, and oh they did that :)

i cant wait to see your truck and point out, oh they did this, and oh they did that :)

I can't wait for someone to look at who actually knows whats going on. And it wasn't just some kid who did my conversion, although it very well should have been, it was a hot rod shop. The same shop that is restomodding my Dad's '56 pickup. Let's just say I never want to talk to anybody there again.

I think the purge tank was installed, a few months after the conversion.

So, this sensor that I am referring to, it runs on one of the lines from the tank. Then is it supposed to run to the purge tank?

most likely you are talking about your canister purge valve/solenoid, so yes it opens and closes, which purges the vapors inteh charcoal canister from the fuel tank

Yeah! Thats what it is, that is what was giving me my last and only code! Is that related to the sensor that is in your tank?

in a way it is

the sensor in the gas tank monitors the gas tank pressure, I am not sure why but it does. So if you drive with teh gas cap off it will give you a gas cap code

Since the canister purge valve is controlling the release of fuel tank vapors into your intake manifold to be burned (emissions junk) it will effect the gas tank pressure a bit I assume

But the two sensors/solenoid are not connected wiring wise.

Your 5.0L Computer is looking for TWO CANISTER PURGE SOLENOIDS, one is called the canister purge (near intake manifold) and the second is called the canieter VENT (on a stock explorer its back by the spare tire mounted with the charcoal canister) I suspect you are getting a code because you dont have both of these hooked up as you should. My truck only has 1 sensor, but I wired up the second sensor just so the computer thinks its there, it doesnt actually purge anything

OK. A little update.

They turned the key and got her fired up! After choking out a few times they realized that no fuel was getting past my Fuel Pressure Regulator. Bought a new FPR, installed it, and still, no fuel in the rails. Opened the upper intake to take a look at the fuel lines and they find that the fuel pressure lines were backwards. Apparently, my old FPR had been stuck open for all this time, and the FPR was running backwards. Plus, the FPR wasn't regulating anything to my injectors and the injectors were seeing the full 60-90 psi from the pump in the tank. Could explain my running rich problem, don't ya think???!!

I'm sure that stupid ass shop that did the v8 conversion in the first place jacked it all up.

I was afraid of all this, these things are so hard to get running 100% right. Also turns out that my ECU is stuck in Open Loop, because I am not getting a reading from my 02 sensors or 02 heaters. Any ideas as to what we should check first? They are double checking the sensor wiring again.

If this doesn't get your blood pumping, your on the wrong site...

5.0 Movie

Although, he sounds pretty suprised that it actually started...

not that hard to get running right IMO :) hahahaha Only 1 way it goes together right, but I had to learn by doing too

What?

Can anyone make sense out of this?

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know how to get rid of the P0708 code?

Back