MoabB2's SAS Thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MoabB2's SAS Thread

thats an old shirt! :)

in 4 years it has come A LONG WAY... heck its taken me 15 and I still have a TTB!! LOL

I found this in my Explorer 4x4 conversion thread, trying to find the correct speedo gear:

"okay so I was a little off.
Using the GPS I determined that my speedo was showing 65 MPH when actual speed was 59.5 mph

So using this:

(current teeth x speed shown) / actual speed
we get
18x65= 1170
1170 / 59 = 19.8

So I installed a 20 tooth, now its pretty damn accurate."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HAHA, Thanks!

I'm sure I've read that 10 times in your thread. I just need to figure out my current teeth. Before my gear swap my speedo read 55 at 65, 62 at 75. Now it is even worse.

Cool. Now I just have a bunch of little things to work on. Always something...

Pull your speedo sensor (1 10mm bolt) and look at the gear, it will say how many teeth it is, then go from there.

My guess with 33's and 4.88 you are going to need 20-21 teeth, 21 is the max they make (as far as I know)

I tried a bunch of different math calculations to try and find the correct gear needed, the one I posted above was the only one that worked! LOL it required a GPS to get it right

Cool. I have GPS, I was sure to bring it with me cuz the speedo is sooooo off, I need to know my speed somehow.

BTW I have 35's. HAHA.

type-o sorry I knew that

back to your pics that looks awesome!
How much have you spent overall?

I look back sometimes and think about it, I dont even want to know... I have at least 20K in this thing likely close to double that

but she was my test mule, I could duplicate the truck for $7K or so I think

Update:

Small update. I've since put over 100 miles on the swap. Everything seems to be running pretty smooth.

Took her up to the mountains last weekend and cruised a while in 4x4. No problems. I wish I had my camera with me as I had a few chances to flex her out to the max. MAN! I love it. I rub on the flares, both front and rear, as well as the front bumper. That is the only thing limiting the flex. The 35's will drop a few inches below the body line, and will stuff all the way to the flare.

I just had it aligned yesterday, and boy what a difference that made for street driving. The alignment was horrible before....pulling very hard to the right, especially when braking. Now all that is resolved, it runs straight and true, no pulling, no wandering, no steering play, no diving when braking hard. SOOOOO much better than my tired TTB...it is amazing.

So I figured I could try the Interstate this morning on the way to work. With GPS running of course.:p: The 4.88's put me just about where I wanted to be, more in the powerband now. At 65 MPH, speedo read about 72 MPH, tach read 2225. The speedo was consistently off about 7 MPH. Took her up to about a GPS reading of 75 MPH, super smooth, no shakes, no rattles, no sway. Only negative was that the Krawlers are LOUD!!!! Wow, tire noise has never gotten to me before, but at freeway speed you definitely hear it from the Krawlers...even compared to my BFG muds.

So, I may mount the MUDS again or some All Terrains for city driving...save the Krawlers for just that, Crawling.

Parking brake was easily remedied. A quick cable adjustment now allows the ebrake peddle to completely engage.

A loose starter wire was fixed. This left me stranded last week and was killing all power to the vehicle.

It was determined that my brand new ARB compressor is bad. ARB is replacing it under warranty. It was only engaged 2 times....not sure why it went out. My new unit arrived yesterday and should get the lockers working by this weekend.

Bumper is being trimmed this weekend. I'll post up pics when it is done.

A few other items have popped up. 1 being a bad exhaust leak. Sounds like a passenger side header gasket. I guess the TM headers are known for that though. I need to get that fixed along with trimming the rear dumps.

And 2, CEL is appearing. Codes that I was already aware of: PO708, TRS sensor input high, PO460, Fuel level sensor A circuit, and P1000, System readiness test incomplete.
I've always had PO708, still don't know why. Either the detents on my column shifter don't agree with the 4r70w, or my DTRS needs replaced, or wiring issue.
PO460 must be due to my Bronco II gas guage not working...it never has.
P1000 due to pulling the battery recently.

The new code that concerns me is P1450, unable to bleed up fuel tank vacuum. I've never had this code, but I suspect it is due to a missing ODBII sensor that needs installed in my Bronco II gas tank. Can't these codes just go away???!!!:mad:

type-o sorry I knew that

back to your pics that looks awesome!
How much have you spent overall?

I look back sometimes and think about it, I dont even want to know... I have at least 20K in this thing likely close to double that

but she was my test mule, I could duplicate the truck for $7K or so I think

I don't think I even want to know!:eek:The parts for the SAS alone put me over 7k! I could definitely be driving just about anything by now....but nothing this cool, haha. I get compliments and thumbs up every single day I drive the thing.

IZ....sorry it's taken me a while. Here are a few pics of the Tcase.
IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

Rear. Not much room with the dual flowmasters....
IMG_3615.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

BroncoSAS059.jpg

Just wanted to say sweet Bronco II, i loved your article in Bronco Driver, wish i was closer to Moab, I plan on going but likley flying out to rent a Jeep :(

Thanks Bronco2Guy!

Been spending a lot of time in Moab here recently. The setup is working awesome, but I'm dealing with a pinion angle in the front. Still need to figure something out to get that into spec. But overall the SAS has been amazing.

We both have the same axle...and same problem, my pinion angle might actually be steeper than yours. Not much you can do really other than go with a HP axle.
I clearanced (grinded) the driveshaft yokes it it seems to be working, even with the front locker.

I've been told I can cut and rotate the inner C's....I'm hopeful this will fix it. Otherwise it will have to be the HP axle.

I've been told I can cut and rotate the inner C's....I'm hopeful this will fix it. Otherwise it will have to be the HP axle.

That will help on the diff end but it will still be steep on the T-case side, remember that you'll have to rotate everything else as well like your trac-bar mount and radius arm wedges. To me I don't think it's worth all that work. I've had my truck SAS'd for 8 years now, 4 of those years with a locker and haven't busted a u-joint...yet:p: Probably just a matter time but i'm suprised it's held up this long. I'd just clearance the u-joint areas on the driveshaft or better yet, get a high angle driveshaft made and call it good.

That will help on the diff end but it will still be steep on the T-case side, remember that you'll have to rotate everything else as well like your trac-bar mount and radius arm wedges. To me I don't think it's worth all that work. I've had my truck SAS'd for 8 years now, 4 of those years with a locker and haven't busted a u-joint...yet:p: Probably just a matter time but i'm suprised it's held up this long. I'd just clearance the u-joint areas on the driveshaft or better yet, get a high angle driveshaft made and call it good.

Ahh, yes. I see. Wouldn't an Atlas help on the tcase end? Can't you clock those a bit?

Pretty sure you can clock an Atlas but you usually want to clock the case up for a flat belly therefore your d-shaft angle remains steep.

Just out of curiosity, what's your d-shaft angle at now? I think mines around 28* or so, i'll have to measure it again tomorrow.

I think mines around that too. I'll have to measure.

Mine's at 18*, I thought 28* seemed too steep when I typed it. I hope yours isn't at 28*:p:

OH man, I sure hope not. I won't be able to get to my truck until early next week. I had to stash it over in my dad's garage...can't drive it for a while....Master Cylinder went out last week in Moab and took the brakes with it. I'll have to measure when I get a chance.

Back