Mod Time: Roof Rack or Swing Away Carrier? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mod Time: Roof Rack or Swing Away Carrier?

Roof Rack or Swing Away Carrier?

• Swing Away Carrier

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Roof Rack

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Both!

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shooey_

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hello!
So it's getting to be travel season and I'm going back and forth between a Bronco or similar swing away carrier or a roof rack.

Main usage is going to be a for the tire, hello, and a jerry can. But we're also going to be some 55W Baja lights pretty soon. I don't think we'll be running any larger than 33's at any time in the near future. Potential roof rack is pictured, the tire carrier would be similar.

Here's my case
Roof Rack:
PRO
Able to add lightbar
Out of the way
CON
Jerry can would have to sit upright (direct sunlight and/or areodynamic issues?:rolleyes:)
Wind noise
RB-50202-2.jpg

Credit

Swing Away:
PRO
Perfect for Tire plus can
CON
Impedes getting into hatch

99172_22910.jpg

Credit

So which would you use, like, or recommend? Fire away!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have that same roof rack, got it for about 100 bucks shipped and i love that thing. i go camping a lot and my dog rides in the truck bed so the roof rack is where i throw all my camping gear and trust me, it can fit a lot of gear. ive even thrown my gas can up there a few times. im currently using it to fit my spare 33" tire until i can figure out a way to fit the 33 under the truck bed (probably will ahve to cut the tongue). i say go roof rack, it seems simpler, cheaper and wont impede your way into your rear hatch.

heres my truck with the same roof rack and my spare on it
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215017&page=33

Well since you can easily modify a Bronco/ Bronco II swing away tire carrier to fit your Explorer I'd go with that for the spare.

I wish I could simply mount a swing out tire carrier to the bed of my Sport Trac but since it's composite Fiberglass it's not strong enough to support it. I have plans of building a custom steel rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier, hopefully before the end of November.

If you still need the roof basket for hauling stuff keep it on, if not then remove it. I had a Yakima MegaWarrior on my roof with my spare 33" rim/ tire and offroad lights. It killed my mpg's and was like a wall on the top of my truck, along with being top heavy. When I removed it, the truck got better mpg's, could take a corner safer and simply had it's get up and go again without the wall on top.

So looks like we're going to be using both roof and rear carriers. The rear carrier will be the first project. We wanted a low profile look to minimize rear mirror blockage (I need all the help I can get!). Plus we're road trippers, not hard-core offroaders. The largest tire I see us needing to throw on the back would be a 33.

This is the sketch for the rear:
vYv2B.jpg

3QVCE.jpg

I like it. Make me one while your at it. haha if only I had enough cash to make one.

Back